Mike Repole Piece

Thus far in his career as an owner, Forte is Repole's strongest horse he has brought to the Kentucky Derby. He checks all the boxes and will be a deserving favorite on May 6th to win the Roses.
I am definitely pulling for Forte but the Derby is always a tough one to win and his come from behind style could make it tougher. Although it certainly didn't hurt Rich Strike last year.

Yes Uncle Mo had that rare liver disease. Thankfully it has not been passed down in his equine dna to his offspring. I visited Uncle Mo once at Ashwood Stud with some of Repole’s people prior to when we last played at Rupp Arena.
It is very cool that you got to see Uncle Mo on the farm. Mike Repole has been really great about sharing his passion for the horses with many people. At the recent Wood Memorial he had a good sized entourage of friends and family with him to watch the race. I love the fact that he shares his passion with so many in his life.

Lexington Kentucky is one of my favorite places on earth. I love to visit there and go to the various stud farms to see the horses. In the past I have seen some of the great racehorses that I have seen run during my lifetime. I cherish the fact that I got to visit Triple Crown winners Seattle Slew and Affirmed as well as his Triple Crown rival Alydar.

I went to see my favorite horse of all-time, three time Horse of the year, the mighty, Forego on numerous occasions at the Kentucky Horse Park (an amazing venue BTW). During my last visit to Lexington in 2018 I got to visit Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Farm and was able to see 1998 Breeder's Cup Classic winner Awesome Again and my Redmen.com Nom De Plume Ghostzapper the 2004 Breeder's Cup Classic winner and Horse of the Year.

FYI I have attached two pictures of Ghostzapper that were taken (one with me) from that trip below.

1681681456468.jpeg
1681681535372.jpeg

It is very cool that you got to see Uncle Mo on the farm. Mike Repole has been really great about sharing his passion for the horses with many people. At the recent Wood Memorial he had a good sized entourage of friends and family with him to watch the race. I love the fact that he shares his passion with so many in his life.

Lexington Kentucky is one of my favorite places on earth. I love to visit there and go to the various stud farms to see the horses. In the past I have seen some of the great racehorses that I have seen run during my lifetime. I cherish the fact that I got to visit Triple Crown winners Seattle Slew and Affirmed as well as his Triple Crown rival Alydar.

I went to see my favorite horse of all-time, three time Horse of the year, the mighty, Forego on numerous occasions at the Kentucky Horse Park (an amazing venue BTW). During my last visit to Lexington in 2018 I got to visit Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Farm and was able to see 1998 Breeder's Cup Classic winner Awesome Again and my Redmen.com Nom De Plume Ghostzapper the 2004 Breeder's Cup Classic winner and Horse of the Year.

FYI I have attached two pictures of Ghostzapper that were taken (one with me) from that trip below.

View attachment 815
View attachment 816
Let’s set up trip one day…maybe the Fall Keeneland meet. Starting in 2001 or 2002, I have been involved with 16 racing partnerships and pinhooking with West Point Thoroughbred's, Castle Village Farms and Derby Trail Racing. Been very successful…winners at Saratoga, Belmont, Big A, Keeneland and Ellis Park. Recognize who that is behind my colt?BFED9F80-9EF0-4ED5-8BE9-C4FDBF88AD65.jpeg

Last edited:
Let’s set up trip one day…maybe the Fall Keeneland meet. Starting in 2001 or 2002, I have been involved with 16 racing partnerships and pinhooking with West Point Thoroughbred's, Castle Village Farms and Derby Trail Racing. Been very successful…winners at Saratoga, Belmont, Big A, Keeneland and Ellis Park. Recognize who that is behind my colt?View attachment 817
Can't say for sure because I can't see the horse clearly in this picture but based on the Jockey Silks it looks like Funny Cide.

View attachment 815
View attachment 816
Can't say for sure because I can't see the horse clearly in this picture but based on the Jockey Silks it looks like Funny Cide.
Repole ?

Love all the horse racing talk. I am not as into it as I
used to be. Loved participating in Handicapping contests. Easy Goer was my personal favorite.
Great choice Andrew! Easy Goer was an absolutely terrific horse. If not for a couple of questionable rides by Pat Day in the Preakness and the Breeder's Cup Classic he would have been Horse of the Year in 1989 instead of his worthy rival Sunday Silence.

View attachment 815
View attachment 816
When I was completing a Masters at NYU
I went on an internship to UKy and got to meet Secretariat, Riva Ridge,
Spectacular Bid…what a treat that was!
The only other contact I ever had with that remarkable creature the horse = my grandfather had a horse & wagon In Springfield Gardens, Queens 1950s
And a dear friend Joe RIP was Pennsylvania horse vet - he used to lament he could not get young vets to work w large animals -

All the best
SS&G

Love all the horse racing talk. I am not as into it as I
used to be. Loved participating in Handicapping contests. Easy Goer was my personal favorite.
First horse I ever remember. I was about 7 years old at the time.

One of my favorite movies as a young kid was "Follow That Bird" (a Sesame Street film), and there was a song in the film called "East Going Day", so when I heard that there was horse that sounded similar, and that the jockey's last name was Day, I became a fan.

I don't bet too often though. Really can't afford to lose.

First horse I ever remember. I was about 7 years old at the time.

One of my favorite movies as a young kid was "Follow That Bird" (a Sesame Street film), and there was a song in the film called "East Going Day", so when I heard that there was horse that sounded similar, and that the jockey's last name was Day, I became a fan.

I don't bet too often though. Really can't afford to lose.
A little older than you, but my first was introduced to me by my father who took me to see him in the Met handicap at Belmont was Kelso (Kelly was his nickname). Kelly was one of the all time greats who took on all comers and being a gelding he raced till 1966 when he retired at age 9 after an injury. The handicappers were not kind to him putting heavy weight on him because of his success and age. He was horse of the year 5 times and was truly an "American Hero".

Back