Mike Anderson - Former Coach

I told you SJU couldn’t afford the $10 million buyout (which apparently is actually $11 million). If they could, they wouldn’t be pulling an absolute bush league move like this. I also told you CMA and his agent would demand every cent of what’s owed him. But alas, I’m just the source of fake news on this site.
LOL... stop it already! So obvious your contempt for SJU... Pathetic

Interesting take but during the press conference Pitino went out of the way to praise Mike Anderson as a coach and a person and that would be something that Anderson's employment lawyer might use as proof that the SJU firing for cause has no merit.
It’s the case of “ never speak Ill of the former Coach .” The firing of Anderson had nothing to do with Rick . Fr Shanley must have seen a lot of evidence that CMA. Wasn’t providing the leadership or Coaching that were part of his responsibilities . Remember too, CMA came here after just being fired at Arkansas . He was unemployed before Cragg took a suggestion from Capel . And , many Posters here soon believed CMA was the answer . Many clues about his Coaching mistakes were glossed over until this season . CMA was praised as a much better Coach than Mullin or Lavin . Obviously he wasn’t .

I admit I supported CMA's hiring and through most of his tenure, but became puzzled by the unfolding poor season, and then disappointed at our coach's inability to produce consistency and success with the best talent he had had as SJU's HC.
I think SJU's action is predictable given CMA's inability to win at the BE Level and the buzz about cultural dissonance, and agree they'll settle somewhere in the mid-$$$ range.
Good luck to CMA, and on to better days for St. John's as well.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised how we're hearing about how apparently terrible the culture was the past year, and allowed to exist, under CMA. He is a very good man, but I was always under the impression he was the no nonsense type. So I have no idea how things just seemed to spiral under his watch.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised how we're hearing about how apparently terrible the culture was the past year, and allowed to exist, under CMA. He is a very good man, but I was always under the impression he was the no nonsense type. So I have no idea how things just seemed to spiral under his watch.
I was skeptical from the time of the mass exodus a couple of seasons ago. Never sat well with me. Of course that was excused away by many apologists.

I was skeptical from the time of the mass exodus a couple of seasons ago. Never sat well with me. Of course that was excused away by many apologists.
But on the flip side we were one of the only schools in the country not to have a transfer this past year. So I didn’t know what to think of it.

It's funny because without knowing anything, my traditional state of being, I put that down to CMA running a tighter ship than Mullin and those guys just deciding it wasn't worth it. Maybe it was the opposite. Or maybe it was just CMA favoring his guys over Mullin's guys. But my feeling is kids who are recruited by one coach and then have to play for another are more likely to transfer, especially once they were free to do so without any consequences. Who knows they all might have left after year 1 if they didn't have to sit out a year.

Money is fungible. If SJU could afford the buyout, they'd be paying it.
I personally know of several instances where money is readily available but companies will fight tooth and nail before they fork it over even if the person is actually owed it legitimately and has the proof. Someone who is famous, rich and in the news a lot is notoriously known for not paying what they legitimately owe.

St. John’s has the money but evidently they feel they have a good case that they won’t have to pay all or some of it.

I personally know of several instances where money is readily available but companies will fight tooth and nail before they fork it over even if the person is actually owed it legitimately and has the proof. Someone who is famous, rich and in the news a lot is notoriously known for not paying what they legitimately owe.

St. John’s has the money but evidently they feel they have a good case that they won’t have to pay all or some of it.
Donald J. Is infamous for never paying his contractors telling them to take him to court and ultimately paying them something far less than agreed to.

It's funny because without knowing anything, my traditional state of being, I put that down to CMA running a tighter ship than Mullin and those guys just deciding it wasn't worth it. Maybe it was the opposite. Or maybe it was just CMA favoring his guys over Mullin's guys. But my feeling is kids who are recruited by one coach and then have to play for another are more likely to transfer, especially once they were free to do so without any consequences. Who knows they all might have left after year 1 if they didn't have to sit out a year.
But most of the kids that left were not Mullin's kids, and the ones that were(Earl, GWill) thrived under CMA. So the mass exodus didn't really make sense

But most of the kids that left were not Mullin's kids, and the ones that were(Earl, GWill) thrived under CMA. So the mass exodus didn't really make sense
I don’t know I think all of Roberts, GWill and Earlington left to get bigger roles at lesser level and it worked out just that way for all three. Moore was a nutcase who didn’t last anywhere for long and suspect Cole realized Big East play was too quick for him.

I don’t know I think all of Roberts, GWill and Earlington left to get bigger roles at lesser level and it worked out just that way for all three. Moore was a nutcase who didn’t last anywhere for long and suspect Cole realized Big East play was too quick for him.
I get Roberts wanting to play at a lower level, I don't get Earl and Gwill. Those 2 were thriving here and didn't even move to a much lower level. Kids who are thriving in the Big East or any big conference, don't generally leave to play in a lesser conference. My sense is that they left for other reasons, expected to attract interest from schools in high level conferences, and had to settle.

Pitino jettisoning most of the roster for poor "character" development helps fit SJU's "for cause" argument.
St. John's will end up paying the contract. It will just go through legal channels. Like I posted before it will have/had zero effect on the new coach coming in. The example to look towards is UConn and the Ollie to Hurley transition. It's posturing on St John's part in hopes to save couple million. UConn's gamble i believe didn't pay off as an arbitrator awarded him the 11.2m owed and then if I'm not mistaken he got additional monies for attorney's fee and damage to reputation. Another example would be the Texas Tech women's coach that had multiple transfers for mental health reasons. She got fired and got her contract.

Ironically, even RP sued Louisville when he got fired and Louisville settled with him. I don't think he got money, but I think he got to change the firing to resignation and the promise Louisville wouldn't publicly speak poorly of him.

In my opinion, the only thing we should worry about is if it for some reason becomes a news cycle distraction, which I mean, unless major bombshells come out against St. John's I can't see that happening. CMA is gone, whether it's with an additional 11M or something a little more or a little less is the only thing outstanding.

Back