Mets 2024 Season

Doc was a hero to a teenage mjmaherjr. 24-4 1.53 era that year was just mind boggling. I don’t think I missed a televised start on regular tv and read every article in the papers the next day

Ironically Doc lives a big part of the year in Glen Cove now where I grew up. My buddy since nursery school his best friend is one of Docs closest friends and was with him this whole weekend. Said Docs in a really good place now health wise. Hope he stays that way. Whenever people come up to him he’s always super friendly to them and their kids to talk or take pics even when eating at a restaurant
Nice story.

I was a huge Gooden fan and always rooted for him even during his troubled times. I remember when his nephew Gary Sheffield was with the Mets, Sheffield commented that Gooden was often on the street, drunk or high and that it was a very sad situation. I really hope he has gotten it together.

I've always felt that his 1984 rookie season was more dominant than his 1985 24-4 season, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Then I saw his K stats. Gooden struck out almost 12 batters per 9 innings in 1984, and never came close to that again (it was under 9 in 1985).

If you look back, there was probable evidence to think the substance problems began in 1986. Like Strawberry, his career numbers are such that a ton of players would have loved to have, but it's really hard to come up with a list of guys over the past 40 years who had as much raw talent and all-time great trajectory as Straw and Doc.

It has always been clear that Darling and Hernandez have a great deal of affection for both Gooden and Strawberry. It's nice to see.

Have to say I was almost crying well maybe a little during Gooden's ceremony.

I have always wondered if some of his problems related to arm trouble. The pressure of coming up to major leagues and succeeding at 19 like almost no one else has had to take a toll on his mental health.

Anyway, it was great to see Dwight looking good, speaking well and genuinely happy.

I hope Darryl is in good health and we'll have a great retirement day also.

So far this year's Mets team has been enjoyable to watch, especially once they started hitting a little. I like the low expectations on the team. It makes it easier to watch when they lose and means a lot when they win.

Have to say I was almost crying well maybe a little during Gooden's ceremony.

I have always wondered if some of his problems related to arm trouble. The pressure of coming up to major leagues and succeeding at 19 like almost no one else has had to take a toll on his mental health.

Anyway, it was great to see Dwight looking good, speaking well and genuinely happy.

I hope Darryl is in good health and we'll have a great retirement day also.

So far this year's Mets team has been enjoyable to watch, especially once they started hitting a little. I like the low expectations on the team. It makes it easier to watch when they lose and means a lot when they win.
Everytime I heard Doc say he approched the Mets about a return, particularly a return to retire, all I could think was F#*K WILPON.

Noticed with the retired Met numbers were honors for announcers Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy. Anyone know why Lindsey Nelson has not been so honored?
Nelson left after 1979 season. Mets were managed by Joe Torre, and went 63-99. In 1980 they went 67-95. Seaver was traded in 1977. Franchise was in the pre-Cashen doldrums. In 1978 7.5% of american homes had cable. By 1988 53%. I don't remember it even being a big thing when Nelson left. When Joan Payson died, her daughter Linda DeRoulet took over but Donald Grant ran the show (into the ground).

If fans brought this up to Steve Cohen I think he would be apt to correct this, but with Nelson dead for 30 years, not sure of the interest and who would actually attend from his family. Kiner and Murphy are dead, and I don't remember Nelson as being close to players. Jsy Horwitz maybe?

Steve Cohen has been great in spending freely at these ceremonies. He had a bunch of Gooden's kids as guests and a number of former teammates as well.

Without referencing former ownership, Cohen gets high grades as a fan who gets a kick out of this stuff but also for bringing in talented baseball execs to run the show. After exorbitant spending to try to build an instant powerhouse (101 wins in 2022) they are now rebuilding the franchise from the ground up.

Better days ahead. As noted hereby Marillac and others, if we can get to July and be buyers and not sellers at the trade deadline, even this year may turn out to be interesting.

This feels more like the 2022 version that would slap the ball around and win games. Let’s see if it holds up.

The kid from Pitt looked nasty. But 6’1 190 throwing 100 makes me wonder how long before he is on the Tommy John train.

I loved that 2022 team. They just kept winning series after series. They didn't go on a torrid winning streak they just managed to take 2 out of 3 every time out..... well, until September.

Wow. Good work by the Mets. Cohen said on the broadcast that Mets are only one of four teams in MLB history to go from 0-5 to over .500 in 17 games. They are now at 10-8. Bullpen has been very solid. Hey, I’ll take what I can get.

Wow. Good work by the Mets. Cohen said on the broadcast that Mets are only one of four teams in MLB history to go from 0-5 to over .500 in 17 games. They are now at 10-8. Bullpen has been very solid. Hey, I’ll take what I can get.
Maybe next year we can start 0-10 or something and make more history 🤪

Trio of Mets young arms doing well early.

Christian Scott in AAA - everyone in the organization is big on him, looking like a #3 starter type. Ready this year.

Blade Tidwell in AA - great competitor, possibly a #2 starter or closer.

Brandon Sproat in A+ - Lottery ticket arm reaching 101 mph. Could end up in AAA by September with a huge year.

Vasil and Hamel — 2 young starters expect to be backend guys this year — are struggling in AAA early.

Christian Scott in AAA - everyone in the organization is big on him, looking like a #3 starter type. Ready this year.

Blade Tidwell in AAA - great competitor, possibly a #2 starter or closer.

Brandon Sproat in A+ - Lottery ticket arm reaching 101 mph. Could end up in AAA by September with a huge year.

+ Butto in the majors.

+ Jonah Tong, https://www.nj.com/sports/2024/04/m...-top-100-list-soon-baseball-america-says.html

Blade Tidwell in AA - great competitor, possibly a #2 starter or closer.

Vasil and Hamel — 2 young starters expect to be backend guys this year — are struggling in AAA early.

Reminds me of the days of Pulshipher, Isringhausen and Wilson. Those were the days. ;)

Nelson left after 1979 season. Mets were managed by Joe Torre, and went 63-99. In 1980 they went 67-95. Seaver was traded in 1977. Franchise was in the pre-Cashen doldrums. In 1978 7.5% of american homes had cable. By 1988 53%. I don't remember it even being a big thing when Nelson left. When Joan Payson died, her daughter Linda DeRoulet took over but Donald Grant ran the show (into the ground).

If fans brought this up to Steve Cohen I think he would be apt to correct this, but with Nelson dead for 30 years, not sure of the interest and who would actually attend from his family. Kiner and Murphy are dead, and I don't remember Nelson as being close to players. Jsy Horwitz maybe?

Steve Cohen has been great in spending freely at these ceremonies. He had a bunch of Gooden's kids as guests and a number of former teammates as well.

Without referencing former ownership, Cohen gets high grades as a fan who gets a kick out of this stuff but also for bringing in talented baseball execs to run the show. After exorbitant spending to try to build an instant powerhouse (101 wins in 2022) they are now rebuilding the franchise from the ground up.

Better days ahead. As noted hereby Marillac and others, if we can get to July and be buyers and not sellers at the trade deadline, even this year may turn out to be interesting.
I would rather see the Mets pay homage to those special characters from their history than to celebrate old Brooklyn Dodgers
File that with having a coach with never having a losing season for X number of years. Meaningless! It’s only April, the cream will rise to the top. Give them time.

Back