@Marquette, Sat., Mar. 4, 2p, FOX

I'm thinking saturday 2pm will be a great time to go to costco eat some free samples and stare at the rotisserie chicken
Don't forget to get the cookie assortment. I wish they didn't put the oatmeal raisin in there.

Raisins don't belong in food they just ruin the flavor.

The sad thing about this is that St. John’s really does have the talent to win. It’s just that they have been completely mismanaged by this staff. All but Soriano (thanks to his individual effort in the off season) have regressed and the undisciplined play and complete lack of discipline has caused tge teams downfall.

What I find interesting is that prior to the season many posters talked up the talent. There was Jones who played much better at DePaul, a renewed Soriano, Posh, Curbelo, 4star AJ Storr, Pinzon etc. Now that the season has gone south, there are posters now saying we didn’t have the talent to begin with….. nonsense, it called mismanagement, plain and simple.

The sad thing about this is that St. John’s really does have the talent to win. It’s just that they have been completely mismanaged by this staff. All but Soriano (thanks to his individual effort in the off season) have regressed and the undisciplined play and complete lack of discipline has caused tge teams downfall.

What I find interesting is that prior to the season many posters talked up the talent. There was Jones who played much better at DePaul, a renewed Soriano, Posh, Curbelo, 4star AJ Storr, Pinzon etc. Now that the season has gone south, there are posters now saying we didn’t have the talent to begin with….. nonsense, it called mismanagement, plain and simple.
This team is not athletic, has too many players wth low basketball IQ's, can't shoot, can't defend, can't pass. Other than that they are one hell of a team. Anyone who thinks that is all the fault of the coach has the same basketball IQ as the players.

This team is not athletic, has too many players wth low basketball IQ's, can't shoot, can't defend, can't pass. Other than that they are one hell of a team. Anyone who thinks that is all the fault of the coach has the same basketball IQ as the players.
The players were recruited by the coach. He is responsible for the team composition and lack of performance!

And who assembled this group of players? Anyone who can’t see that it is all on the coach one way or another wouldn’ t know a basketball from a beach ball.

The team overall is very athletic, but you don't win consistently just being athletic. Actually the one in the regular rotation with the least amount of athleticism is Soriano, who happens to be our best player and the one who IMHO has shown the best basketball IQ this season. As mentioned he is one player who has not regressed and has really elevated his game.

This coach when it comes to who and when someone can take a shot has the same mentality as his predecessor that "a shot not taken is one not made". When you are an all-time great and HOFer, that might have worked for you when you played but does not work for a DI basketball team unless you have a team of shooters (and when did we ever have that???).

There has to be limits and boundaries. Everyone should have a role and should know it. These team apparently has none and is not even consistent when it comes to "thou shall not bad mouth the coach in public or print".

HBO or ESPN followed St. John's with their "The Season" back when Jarvis was the coach. In one episode Eric King took a shot and Jarvis admonished him for taking it basically telling him "That is not a shot you should be taking right now. Probably later in your career but not now!" I remember many on the Board back then being critical of Jarvis for saying it but he was right. It would be nice if our present coach would let his guys know that at least occassionally. What might be a good shot for a player with 25 seconds or less on the clock, might not be one with 25 seconds on the shot clock as an example.

The team overall is very athletic, but you don't win consistently just being athletic. Actually the one in the regular rotation with the least amount of athleticism is Soriano, who happens to be our best player and the one who IMHO has shown the best basketball IQ this season. As mentioned he is one player who has not regressed and has really elevated his game.

This coach when it comes to who and when someone can take a shot has the same mentality as his predecessor that "a shot not taken is one not made". When you are an all-time great and HOFer, that might have worked for you when you played but does not work for a DI basketball team unless you have a team of shooters (and when did we ever have that???).

There has to be limits and boundaries. Everyone should have a role and should know it. These team apparently has none and is not even consistent when it comes to "thou shall not bad mouth the coach in public or print".

HBO or ESPN followed St. John's with their "The Season" back when Jarvis was the coach. In one episode Eric King took a shot and Jarvis admonished him for taking it basically telling him "That is not a shot you should be taking right now. Probably later in your career but not now!" I remember many on the Board back then being critical of Jarvis for saying it but he was right. It would be nice if our present coach would let his guys know that at least occassionally. What might be a good shot for a player with 25 seconds or less on the clock, might not be one with 25 seconds on the shot clock as an example.
you are right on the Jarvis tv thing I remember something like that. I just hope the archives are deleted where I was probably one of the ones knocking Jarvis also :)

Mike Jarvis was eventually shown to be a fraud. He inherited a few Fran Fraschilla recruits and had success in his first two years. Then he started looking for greener pastures just as Fran did and his recruiting left a lot to be desired. You mentioned Eric King, a 6'7 physically imposing kid from the city and the kid's growth was stifled by Jarvis and he eventually transferred to Tennessee State. I'm sure King had a talent ceiling and other issues but you hate to lose talented local kids.
Jarvis and his premature firing by an incompetent administration is what set this program back to its current nadire under Mike Anderson who needs top 4 star talent to overcome his obvious lack of X and O skills. He will always be what we see now. A decent coach who will lead his teams to the middle bottom of the conference. The quintessential sacrificial lamb for the top half of the Big East.

As for this current team, it is full of faults at almost every position. Yes, Soriano has been a pleasant surprise and we finally have a traditional Center at a time when traditional centers have become more mobile, ball handlers and better shooters. Unfortunately, Soriano falls short of the current standard.
Our point guards which was supposed to be our greatest strength has become a dysfunctional disaster.
Anderson has failed to integrate David Jones into his system and he now comes off the bench. Rafael Pinzon obviously doesn't get it and publicly said so.
AJ Storr was given a slow entry in favor of playing Posh Alexander out of position at the shooting guard.
Finally, this so-called defensive minded coach has one of the least minded and dedicated teams to the art of playing defense.

Marquette beat Butler to win outright BE title.

Took a look at their roster the last year under Wojo and compared it to current roster.

They literally have 1 player, Oso Ighodaro, that is still on the roster from 2 years ago. Complete roster overhaul in 2 years and in the meantime they made the NCAAs in his first year and won an outright BE title his second year all while overhauling the entire roster.

Marquette beat Butler to win outright BE title.

Took a look at their roster the last year under Wojo and compared it to current roster.

They literally have 1 player, Oso Ighodaro, that is still on the roster from 2 years ago. Complete roster overhaul in 2 years and in the meantime they made the NCAAs in his first year and won an outright BE title his second year all while overhauling the entire roster.
Fordham are you trying to say it doesn't have to take 4-5 years for a rebuild? Blasphemy!

Marquette hit the lottery. I mean if Smart would have told Marquette I am going to revamp the roster in year 1, develop a holdover player-Justin Lewis into an All-BE player and make the NCAA's, all in year 1.

Then lose Justin Lewis who had two years left of eligibility and overhaul the roster even more, get picked 9th, but actually win the outright BE title in year 2 I think you would've signed for that, no.

Mike Jarvis was eventually shown to be a fraud. He inherited a few Fran Fraschilla recruits and had success in his first two years. Then he started looking for greener pastures just as Fran did and his recruiting left a lot to be desired. You mentioned Eric King, a 6'7 physically imposing kid from the city and the kid's growth was stifled by Jarvis and he eventually transferred to Tennessee State. I'm sure King had a talent ceiling and other issues but you hate to lose talented local kids.
Jarvis and his premature firing by an incompetent administration is what set this program back to its current nadire under Mike Anderson who needs top 4 star talent to overcome his obvious lack of X and O skills. He will always be what we see now. A decent coach who will lead his teams to the middle bottom of the conference. The quintessential sacrificial lamb for the top half of the Big East.

As for this current team, it is full of faults at almost every position. Yes, Soriano has been a pleasant surprise and we finally have a traditional Center at a time when traditional centers have become more mobile, ball handlers and better shooters. Unfortunately, Soriano falls short of the current standard.
Our point guards which was supposed to be our greatest strength has become a dysfunctional disaster.
Anderson has failed to integrate David Jones into his system and he now comes off the bench. Rafael Pinzon obviously doesn't get it and publicly said so.
AJ Storr was given a slow entry in favor of playing Posh Alexander out of position at the shooting guard.
Finally, this so-called defensive minded coach has one of the least minded and dedicated teams to the art of playing defense.
To be fair and I can't believe I'm about to say this because I hate jarvis but let's be honest knowing now what people at our school make look at what he made ( I have no clue how it compared to other big east coaches but I'm not thinking the highest ) and look at what he said about our facilities and that part at least wasn't wrong. Now he was an arrogant MF to people who have met him here and he sucked at recruiting so that being said he deserved to get fired but shouldn't have during the season I say this in hindsight I certainly didnt think it at the time because I hated him

To be fair and I can't believe I'm about to say this because I hate jarvis but let's be honest knowing now what people at our school make look at what he made ( I have no clue how it compared to other big east coaches but I'm not thinking the highest ) and look at what he said about our facilities and that part at least wasn't wrong. Now he was an arrogant MF to people who have met him here and he sucked at recruiting so that being said he deserved to get fired but shouldn't have during the season I say this in hindsight I certainly didnt think it at the time because I hated him
He didn't deserve to be fired mid season, he deserved to be fired long before that.

The only athletic players on the team are Jones and Storr, Just because you play hard (Posh & Wusu) doesn't make you athletic. I totally agree with you that there has to be limits, boundaries and clearly defined roles for each player, and that is the responsibility of the coaching staff.

I am tired of all the blame for the lack of success of this team being placed solely on the coach when the players are equally to blame. Those who blame losses on the coach's use of time outs are just nitpicking. There are many more important things wrong with our performances than when or whether the coach calls a time out. We have lost no games because of when a time out was called or not called.

Also, teams that have a track record like we have over the last 20 years, cannot easily recruit the quality of players the coach or the fans would like to recruit. So blaming the coach for the players poor performances because he is responsible for recruiting them is disingenuous. Again, there are many more important negative aspects to our coach's performance this year than blaming him for the quality of his recruits. The poor performance of the team this year is equally the fault of the coach and the players.

Back