LIU, Tues, Nov. 29, 6:30p, FS-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another game you cant take anything from. Just stay healthy, get a win and get one more game to work on chemistry.

Then its off to iowa state for the biggest test of the year.
Don't look past any game or it might come back to bite you.

I think we should make the tournament in 8-9 game and think we should be in position to maybe win a game.
But not sure where “we can play with anyone” comes from at this point?
Cuse lost to Bryant
The announcer on the broadcast a couple of games ago said that no one is going to look forward to playing this team. They have a tendency to wear you out with their intense style of play. They may turn the ball over but they also force a lot of mistakes. This should be a fun year with a few surprises.

The Iowa State game is not an issue.......they are bigger and better......and it should be a loss, but we need Posh for the simple reason but to keep Curbelo from over-dominanting the ball on the offense. In the Niagara game he took 4 of the first 5 shots as if he had no teammates.

Coach Anderson is allowing way too much freelancing on this team. Against better teams our guys better share the ball more.
My concern exactly. While Curbello has made some great plays at times, too often it’s the opposite and hurts the team. He certainly needs to be reeled in a bit. In terms of Iowa State, from what I’ve seen so far, they could win handily. Hopefully the Johnnies surprise us and show that their poor play to date was just due to their lack of intensity due to the low level of competition.

LIU is 1-4 and shouldn’t be an issue.

Fred Burton from legendary Francis Lewis High School ain’t walking through the door.

When they decided that their moniker was politically incorrect as we did years ago. They didn't want to offend blackbirds! ;) :ROFLMAO:😜
That’s funny. This morning I went for a run and saw a giant blackbird eating a squirrel. (True Story) I haven’t seen that big a bird here on Long Island. Usually see them in Florida. Now that everyone is talking about the “blackbirds” and LIU should I be worried about tonight’s game? Now this has a very Alfred Hitchcock feel to it. 😳

Here is my rant.

We need to blow the doors of LIU.

Before the Niagara game we were 32 on KenPom.

After we won, but didn't cover the spread (16.5), we dropped to 38 on KenPom.

When Syracuse lost to Bryant, we dropped to 40 in KenPom.

As of now, we bubbled up to 39 in KenPom.

We need to run the score up. Blow the friggen' doors off them.

Here is my rant.

The spread is completely irrelevant that's just for fans and betting. And kenpom is really just a tool mostly referred to early in the season before NET releases. Once NET releases that's what people are going to use because that's what the NCAA committee uses, and NET stops factoring after a 10 point margin, so whether they win tonight by 10 points or 100 points it's all going to be considered the same come March.

The spread is completely irrelevant that's just for fans and betting. And kenpom is really just a tool mostly referred to early in the season before NET releases. Once NET releases that's what people are going to use because that's what the NCAA committee uses, and NET stops factoring after a 10 point margin, so whether they win tonight by 10 points or 100 points it's all going to be considered the same come March.
I don't believe that is completely correct. The margin of victory portion is capped at 10. However, the offensive and defensive efficiency portions are likely uncapped. They are calculated based on pace of play (point per possession) while taking into account the opponent and location. Our tempo hurts us as a 10 point win for us with 75 possessions provides less value per possession than a slower paced team with a 10 point win in 68 possessions.

I think that any metric that determines how well we did against an opponent matters.

Here is our team page on T-page (Torvik) - https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=St.+John's&year=2023

Again you can see our high water mark (blowing out Nebraska) and how we are trending against competition.

We need to blow them out.

I've changed my stance on this game - I want to see Nywie get a ton of PT... he will be critical in giving Joel a breather come BE play.

Hoepfully game will be over by the 15 min mark in the 2nd, and we can see some bench guys work though mistakes in the 2nd

I don't believe that is completely correct. The margin of victory portion is capped at 10. However, the offensive and defensive efficiency portions are likely uncapped. They are calculated based on pace of play (point per possession) while taking into account the opponent and location. Our tempo hurts us as a 10 point win for us with 75 possessions provides less value per possession than a slower paced team with a 10 point win in 68 possessions.

I think that any metric that determines how well we did against an opponent matters.

Here is our team page on T-page (Torvik) - https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=St.+John's&year=2023

Again you can see our high water mark (blowing out Nebraska) and how we are trending against competition.

We need to blow them out.

Yes, NET factors in your offensive and defensive efficiency as well, but it matters very little in a game like this. They can beat LIU by 100 points and have the best offensive and defensive efficiency in the world, and it's not going to help NET much, if at all. The NET was designed to reward good teams beating other good teams or playing well against other good teams. It's also meant to prevent good teams from just scheduling a bunch of "cupcakes" and running up their numbers that way, which is what some teams use to do to manipulate their RPI.

LIU is very likely a team that's going to be in the 300+ in NET, this game does absolutely nothing for our NET and can only hurt us. They just need to avoid a close game or a loss. So, that's why I said whether it's a 10 point win or 100 point win it won't matter come March.

My view on this game is we should be able to give plenty of PT to guys like Nyiwe, Storr, King & Pinzon (if healthy) and still win the game going away. LIU lost both of their road game (Utah & Marquette) by around 40 points. Regardless of how the margin of victory might affect NET, a decisive win where all our guys get to feel good can only help us going into the Iowa State game. If we win this game by less than 20 points I'll be surprised and disappointed.

Here is my rant.

It’s not the spread , it’s because we didn’t win by 10 or more points. This is what I’ve been saying. If you schedule these cupcakes you better win these games by 10 or more points otherwise even a win hurts your ranking.

Yes, NET factors in your offensive and defensive efficiency as well, but it matters very little in a game like this. They can beat LIU by 100 points and have the best offensive and defensive efficiency in the world, and it's not going to help NET much, if at all. The NET was designed to reward good teams beating other good teams or playing well against other good teams. It's also meant to prevent good teams from just scheduling a bunch of "cupcakes" and running up their numbers that way, which is what some teams use to do to manipulate their RPI.

LIU is very likely a team that's going to be in the 300+ in NET, this game does absolutely nothing for our NET and can only hurt us. They just need to avoid a close game or a loss. So, that's why I said whether it's a 10 point win or 100 point win it won't matter come March
Colgate 2020-2021 would beg to differ. (NET 9, KemPom 86 on selection sunday) I agree that one game likely won't move the needle too much. But, an accumulation of several underwhelming results against far inferior teams could make a difference. I think what you state is their intent and what it should be, but they still have not figured it out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back