Ledlum Struggles

Let’s hope Ledlum can figure this out cause unless Luis is good for at least 15 ppg , there is not enough (reliable) scoring on this team at the present time.

The scary thing about this is that Pitino is saying Ledlum has to change his offensive game completely.

“What did he do in the Ivy League? He came like a tank in the lane and just bulldozed everybody, dunked on everybody,” the coach said. “So now he’s got to change his skill level. Now he’s got to head fake, head fake, get them up in the air, do a lot of things the old Adrian Dantley used to do. Get them off of their feet instead of just driving to the basket and getting his shot blocked.

“He has to change his game based on the competition because they’re all gigantic. He can do it. He just has to work on different skills, and he can’t get discouraged by this.”

The scary thing about this is that Pitino is saying Ledlum has to change his offensive game completely.

“What did he do in the Ivy League? He came like a tank in the lane and just bulldozed everybody, dunked on everybody,” the coach said. “So now he’s got to change his skill level. Now he’s got to head fake, head fake, get them up in the air, do a lot of things the old Adrian Dantley used to do. Get them off of their feet instead of just driving to the basket and getting his shot blocked.

“He has to change his game based on the competition because they’re all gigantic. He can do it. He just has to work on different skills, and he can’t get discouraged by this.”
And the scarier thing is that Ledlum disagrees.🤪

The encouraging thing is that potion is 100% right. Refreshing to have a coach like that for once

Changing his game at this point is a lot easier said than done. There's a reason why we don't see a lot of undersized PFs any more. The Dantley, Barckley, and to a lesser degree Glover and Mineland types are few and far between. Still think Chris can be a contributor here, but just don't see him being a force, for lack of a better word, at either the PF or SF position. More of a role player off the bench to spell both those positions situationally.

Last edited:
Let’s hope Ledlum can figure this out cause unless Luis is good for at least 15 ppg , there is not enough (reliable) scoring on this team at the present time.
Don't think we need 15 ppg from Chris. 10-11 ppg, strong rebounding and good defense would be just fine. I see Soriano & Dingle giving us at least 30 ppg between them and Jenkins and Luis 23 ppg between them. Throw in another 20 ppg from the bench and we'll be just fine especially if the defense improves which I believe it will.

Don't think we need 15 ppg from Chris. 10-11 ppg, strong rebounding and good defense would be just fine. I see Soriano & Dingle giving us at least 30 ppg between them and Jenkins and Luis 23 ppg between them. Throw in another 20 ppg from the bench and we'll be just fine especially if the defense improves which I believe it will.
I was good with everything you said until you thought we'd need another 20 ppg from the bench. I just don't see where that's coming from.

Hmm. Here’s a question . If Rick knew all about Ledlum’s game and results in the Ivy League , along with the short comings that Pitino has now publicized , why did he recruit him twice to get him here?
Once before Chris choose Tennessee and then, when he opted out of that 90 day commitment , Pitino took him again ?

And, we lost Slasinski in the process . Huh ?

I was good with everything you said until you thought we'd need another 20 ppg from the bench. I just don't see where that's coming from.
Glenn Taylor, Wilcher and Zuby plus 2 or 3 ppg from Davis/Traore/Conway/Dunlap combo. Don't see it as a problem whatsoever.

He will make the adjustment. There’s a reason Indiana and Tennessee wanted him. I don’t think anyone expected 20 a game out of him. We expected 10-12 pts and a force rebounding

He will make the adjustment. There’s a reason Indiana and Tennessee wanted him. I don’t think anyone expected 20 a game out of him. We expected 10-12 pts and a force rebounding
That’s all true . Perhaps Woodson and Barnes were looking at the same films that Pitino was with Ledlum .

Films of domination in the Ivy League , a low mid Major , are much different than performance in a higher ranked League .

Just for a moment, think about what happened when Ledlum began working out and playing at Tennessee . Is it possible Barnes took him aside and told him. “ you aren’t going to be starting and , frankly we don’t think your game is suited for the SEC .” Your not going to be able to do the stuff you did at Harvard against the Teams in our League .”

Whereupon Chris called RP and said, “ I made a mistake and want to come home to NY.”

Pitino jumped at the opportunity , told him he would be starting or splitting time with Slasinski and he opted out of Tennessee.

All was good until Rick told Slazinski , one of RP’s first transfers from Iona , what Ledlum’s coming here meant for him and his playing time this season .

Naturally Quinn , like 100 percent of other players , said “ Coach that’s not what you told me when I transferred with you from Iona .” You knew I wanted my last season to be Special with a lot of PT and now , your telling me that Ledlum is going to reduce my PT?” “ Isn’t that reneging on your commitment to me ?” ”

So , final result so far . Slazinski is starting , scoring in double digits , rebounding and being a Team Leader .

Ledlum ? Making headlines in the NY Post for his disappointing play and getting blasted by Pitino in print .

That’s all true . Perhaps Woodson and Barnes were looking at the same films that Pitino was with Ledlum .

Films of domination in the Ivy League , a low mid Major , are much different than performance in a higher ranked League .

Just for a moment, think about what happened when Ledlum began working out and playing at Tennessee . Is it possible Barnes took him aside and told him. “ you aren’t going to be starting and , frankly we don’t think your game is suited for the SEC .” Your not going to be able to do the stuff you did at Harvard against the Teams in our League .”

Whereupon Chris called RP and said, “ I made a mistake and want to come home to NY.”

Pitino jumped at the opportunity , told him he would be starting or splitting time with Slasinski and he opted out of Tennessee.

All was good until Rick told Slazinski , one of RP’s first transfers from Iona , what Ledlum’s coming here meant for him and his playing time this season .

Naturally Quinn , like 100 percent of other players , said “ Coach that’s not what you told me when I transferred with you from Iona .” You knew I wanted my last season to be Special with a lot of PT and now , your telling me that Ledlum is going to reduce my PT?” “ Isn’t that reneging on your commitment to me ?” ”

So , final result so far . Slazinski is starting , scoring in double digits , rebounding and being a Team Leader .

Ledlum ? Making headlines in the NY Post for his disappointing play and getting blasted by Pitino in print .
I don’t think Pitino promises anyone playing time.

They wanted him for 15-20 mpg. Hopefully we can get him down in minutes when Luis comes back.

I'm very biased in support of Ledlum because i met and sat with him at the basketball kickoff. Offensively he will make the adjustment. He has good range on shot and just needs to make better decisions imo.

On the boards he is a hardhat lunch pail kind of guy. He fights for position is a block of granite and our only reliable rebounder after Soriano. He has given up his body diving for loose balls already more times than i can count.

Defense starts with desire, a desire to work harder defending than scoring. Ledlum has that, is quicker and stronger than most anyone he will defend. He is undersized though against most 4s , but will hold his own.

Finally, knowing this kid a little, he is about the furthest thing from problem child NBA spoiled brat type. He is an asset, and 20 years from now will be a ranking corporate exec. Lucky to have him.

I don't remember which poster said Ledlum is a 3 on offense and a 4 on defense but man was that spot on.
He is clearly not a 30 minute cornerstone guy but he's a valuable piece and a leader. A good guy to have to bridge the gap to next year.

Back