Johnnies Tidbits

Zach reporting that St. John's will play in the Charleston Classic NEXT season

Field includes; Houston, Minnesota, and Dayton, among others

Also reports that Garden games THIS season will be Georgetown, Villanova, UConn and Seton Hall
One of the better year in and year out MTE Tourneys. I wouñd put it below Atlantis, Portland, Maui and maybe a few others but definitely one of the better one's. And the field looks real good especially with an LSU or A&M in the field with those others.

Also reports that Garden games THIS season will be Georgetown, Villanova, UConn and Seton Hall
Went last time we played in Charleston Classic, great city with lot's to do, nice cozy 5,000 seat arena and this one is shaping up to have a much better field. We had a few people there but my other alma mater Dayton had about 1,000. Gonna start workin the wife for a return trip but don't think I'll have to work too hard as it was an enjoyable vacation the last time.

Went last time we played in Charleston Classic, great city with lot's to do, nice cozy 5,000 seat arena and this one is shaping up to have a much better field. We had a few people there but my other alma mater Dayton had about 1,000. Gonna start workin the wife for a return trip but don't think I'll have to work too hard as it was an enjoyable vacation the last time.

Yeah Nathalie is giving me no pushback on this one :)

No Providence, lol. Easy Ed sure loves his games in Queens!!

Charleston huh? Definitely sounds like a fun December destination. We've been there 3 or 4 times and always enjoy it.

I don't see the point in playing Georgetown in the Garden these days
They haven't been very good for awhile
It's not the '80's anymore and nobody comes to MSG to see Patrick Ewing these days
We'd be better served to play Creighton at the Garden
But very glad to see that the Providence game is at CA :D

It's not the '80's anymore and nobody comes to MSG to see Patrick Ewing these days
I assume if you asked a current player who was recruited to “play in the Mecca” he would opt to play a fifth game at MSG even if against PC. The more exposure there the better and this is what was sold to kids. Moot now, but really need to raise the MSG bar within reason going forward. I have beat the dead horse enough I know.

I was down in Charleston about 10 years back for a wedding and really didn't get chance to see everything I wanted to but enjoyed my time there. Wouldn't mine going back and this would be a good excuse.

I assume if you asked a current player who was recruited to “play in the Mecca” he would opt to play a fifth game at MSG even if against PC. The more exposure there the better and this is what was sold to kids. Moot now, but really need to raise the MSG bar within reason going forward. I have beat the dead horse enough I know.

I totally agree with you but it doesn't make sense to play lots of games there for the sake of doing so at a financial loss. Once we start winning more regularly, make the NCAA's, etc, we should be able to play more games there and, minimally, break even or , heaven forbid, make a few bucks.

Getting into the Charleston Classic is a big step in the right direction. We need to beef up the non-conference schedule. Hopefully, we can schedule a non-league power conference opponent at MSG next year.

If recruiting continues on it's present upswing, there is no reason not to do so. A cupcake or two, I understand. But we don't need (or want) a bakery full of them.

bamafan wrote:
If you go in December you will miss the tournament 😳😊

LOl, I was (mis)reading the part underneath about the 2023 tourney being played in December in Charlotte. If the Charleston one is around Thanksgiving that would be problematic for me as we always have our kids visiting then.

I swear these games better not be noon starts. They are just terrible.

Also do we even count UConn as a home game? More like walking down bourbon street on spring break

Isn't the reason because the potential for Georgetown grads in the NYC metro area to come to the game? I doubt that Creighton has many, if any, fans in this area.

bamafan wrote:
If you go in December you will miss the tournament 😳😊

LOl, I was (mis)reading the part underneath about the 2023 tourney being played in December in Charlotte. If the Charleston one is around Thanksgiving that would be problematic for me as we always have our kids visiting then.
It’s the week before Thanksgiving which makes it easier than the Atlantis which is over Thanksgiving. Easier to convince the wife as she loves Thanksgiving as a family holiday although she loves warm weather which is how I was able to convince her to go to the Bahamas the last time we played in the Atlantis Tournament.

Isn't the reason because the potential for Georgetown grads in the NYC metro area to come to the game? I doubt that Creighton has many, if any, fans in this area.
Spot on--it's about the Benjamins, since we have to pay rental to MSG, we need to cover.

The Creighton fans travel extremely well. They are going to be ranked very high this year. I was at the Garden the year we played them there. I believe it was Doug McDermott’s last year. There was a good crowd at the Garden. If we wind up getting ranked this season and they’re a Top 10 team, they will have to find a way to move that game to the Garden.

Back