Johnnies Tidbits

Just finished breakfast in my hotel in Tel Aviv and wherever I go around the world I am wearing my St. John’s old red Nike cap. A big big white guy walks over to me and asks what does SJ stand for. I said St. John’s university in Queens. He said I was not sure. He says I played bball against them in 87, I played for Pitt. I ask were Charles Smith and Jerome Lane on your team, he looks at me and replies you know your college ball. 😀He says you had one hell of a tough front court player. I reply Jayson Williams or Billy Singleton. He goes to his phone and says yes Jayson Williams.
Off to the opening ceremonies in Jerusalem in a few hours which President Biden is attending. The President issupppsed to meet with athletes before, I told my son to take a picture if possible.

So who was it? Steve Maslek or Rich Carrigan. LOL

Just finished breakfast in my hotel in Tel Aviv and wherever I go around the world I am wearing my St. John’s old red Nike cap. A big big white guy walks over to me and asks what does SJ stand for. I said St. John’s university in Queens. He said I was not sure. He says I played bball against them in 87, I played for Pitt. I ask were Charles Smith and Jerome Lane on your team, he looks at me and replies you know your college ball. 😀He says you had one hell of a tough front court player. I reply Jayson Williams or Billy Singleton. He goes to his phone and says yes Jayson Williams.
Off to the opening ceremonies in Jerusalem in a few hours which President Biden is attending. The President issupppsed to meet with athletes before, I told my son to take a picture if possible.
I ask him the next day and he said Avi Goldstein. I googled him and he is a Rabbi in Baltimore.

I’d start a thread but would be redundant so better off here Julian is on campus helping out with the St. John’s kids camp. Great to see him still involved. Super quality kid. Lucky to have had him he will always represent us well. For some reason I’m trying to put the pic up that Panther sent to me but it says file too large even though I shrunk it

The Johnnies' backcourt listed as "Also Considered."
More disrespect. Saying Creighton is top 20 backcourt and we are an also ran. Saw Nembhard play at CA and while he dished well, we were missing Joel inside. His shooting was horrid and they seem to be deeming that Scheierman is the second coming. Never saw him but he is coming from a mid major where he has not seen the BE speed of play. Also he averaged 16/game against mid major competition and has a big jump to make (i.e., Stef Smith averaged 10/game at Vermont and then fell off in BE competition) At least our transfers played at the major level. So maybe someone can explain all the excitement of Scheierman.

More disrespect. Saying Creighton is top 20 backcourt and we are an also ran. Saw Nembhard play at CA and while he dished well, we were missing Joel inside. His shooting was horrid and they seem to be deeming that Scheierman is the second coming. Never saw him but he is coming from a mid major where he has not seen the BE speed of play. Also he averaged 16/game against mid major competition and has a big jump to make (i.e., Stef Smith averaged 10/game at Vermont and then fell off in BE competition) At least our transfers played at the major level. So maybe someone can explain all the excitement of Scheierman.

Nyiwe was indeed a pleasant surprise down the stretch, interestingly passes well and has good instincts. I never expected much from him, but what do I know.

Ended the season on a high note as you pointed out and appears to be a very hard worker. I firmly believe that Center will be a strong position for us this season with Nyiewe and Joel together. If they can each average 6 boards a game we will have a strong inside presence.

Ended the season on a high note as you pointed out and appears to be a very hard worker. I firmly believe that Center will be a strong position for us this season with Nyiewe and Joel together. If they can each average 6 boards a game we will have a strong inside presence.
Like the confidence!

Apparently, Kentucky, Kansas and Duke were all after Scheierman as well so there must be something there. In terms of Nembhard, in the first St. John's game vs Creighton, Nembhard, as a freshman, had several assists and generally orchestrated the 23 point loss the Johnnies took. However the player that may surface as the best in the conference is Arthur Kaluma. Creighton is legit this year, no doubt about it.

Back