Hello this is Rick from New Rochelle...

For me, it's a simple calculus. He was cleared by the NCAA. That may seem ridiculous to many of us, but that is the fact. He wasn't found guilty of major infractions, he's not under a show cause violation. I don't see a downside to hiring him, even from a reputational standpoint. From a basketball standpoint, it is obviously a no-brainer.

For me, it's a simple calculus. He was cleared by the NCAA. That may seem ridiculous to many of us, but that is the fact. He wasn't found guilty of major infractions, he's not under a show cause violation. I don't see a downside to hiring him, even from a reputational standpoint. From a basketball standpoint, it is obviously a no-brainer.

People can have their own personal beliefs about his behavior. But as far as the reputation hit to the university, it will be non existent. We are in a 24 hours news cycle. There may be an initial news article that sparks some outrage, which will quickly fade when people lose attention and turn their anger elsewhere. Plus, he's already come back at another school and so far proven to be a good citizen, and certainly a winner. So I don't see any media issues.

I have no idea regarding Pitino's contract status at Iona, CMA's buyout, or the interest the admin has in Pitino. We all may be wasting energy on a dead end. If any of the posters with some ties to the program feels like setting us all straight, please do. If this is just wishful thinking, I would rather know now so we can speculate on getting some mid major coach.

Matt Norlander sat down with Pitino. Not ready to retire and says if he leaves it has to be for a job that can reach the Final Four.

Big jobs are expected to open. Georgetown is a prime candidate; if ever that program needed an injection of coaching credibility, Pitino's more qualified than any candidate, and he knows it. There are others as well. Curiosities linger about St. John's, in addition to other high-majors that will inevitably have vacancies. This puts Pitino in a position of strength and some leverage — something he hasn't had for most of the past decade.

If I wanted to leave, it would be a job that I thought could get to a Final Four.
Rick Pitino

Sources told CBS Sports the job Pitino is alluding to is Maryland, which hired Kevin Willard — a former Iona coach and someone in Pitino's circle. (Holy Cross and Rhode Island also inquired.) Pitino's buyout and his uncertain NCAA situation made him ungettable for most ADs even willing to entertain the fantasy. That's no longer the case. In the offseason, Pitino went to Carey and had his buyout taken down to $0, making him easier to pluck. He's in the third year of his initial five-year contract.

I would be surprised if he lands at either Georgetown or St. John’s. Bigger schools will come calling.

Matt Norlander sat down with Pitino. Not ready to retire and says if he leaves it has to be for a job that can reach the Final Four.

Big jobs are expected to open. Georgetown is a prime candidate; if ever that program needed an injection of coaching credibility, Pitino's more qualified than any candidate, and he knows it. There are others as well. Curiosities linger about St. John's, in addition to other high-majors that will inevitably have vacancies. This puts Pitino in a position of strength and some leverage — something he hasn't had for most of the past decade.

Sources told CBS Sports the job Pitino is alluding to is Maryland, which hired Kevin Willard — a former Iona coach and someone in Pitino's circle. (Holy Cross and Rhode Island also inquired.) Pitino's buyout and his uncertain NCAA situation made him ungettable for most ADs even willing to entertain the fantasy. That's no longer the case. In the offseason, Pitino went to Carey and had his buyout taken down to $0, making him easier to pluck. He's in the third year of his initial five-year contract.
I hate to say it...but Deacon Oliva will pull the "morality card" here. Forget Pitino...and welcome more years of horrendous hoops.

We lost him at "Final Four" unless he was talking about the NIT...

Even if by some miracle the board would approve of Pitino, my guess is that he would like nothing better than to shove it up the collective board's arses for their past holier than thou attitude and take the Georgetown job. Pitino would get the added thrill of a major thrust up there for every NCAA invite, but especially for every G Town win over St. John's.

Yes and I would add that from a financial perspective, Pitino is also a no-brainer. Increased booster contributions, enhanced ticket sales and getting NIL $$$ in the door for the players would happen with Pitino to an extent that no other potential candidate could match.

Back