Hello this is Rick from New Rochelle...

Canning Anderson now would at least send a message that mediocrity is not tolerated

I think the players wouldn't skip a beat and at least not get any worse

Work the back channels for Pitino...
Let's not even go there, as at least there should be a lesson to learn from Pittsburgh.

Part of me says no to the 70 year old guy who might not be able to give us more than 3-4 years. Would prefer a younger guy who can stick around for a decade +.

At the same time, would be devastating to turn him down, only to see him go to some other major conf school (especially if its G-town) where he gives them 7-8 years of consistent top-25 ranking, tourney births and a final-4 or two, while we continue to struggle.

I was for the Anderson hire considering the debacle of the search process but this season I have doubts he ever get us in the tournament. If it’s Pitino, so be it but an I can’t see an up and comer do well here either.

I was for the Anderson hire considering the debacle of the search process but this season I have doubts he ever get us in the tournament. If it’s Pitino, so be it but an I can’t see an up and comer do well here either.
You're most likely right, an up and comer would be like the last 3 we made, in year 4 you'll hear: "SJU won't be good until after he's gone."
Heard that with Lavin, Muller, now CMA

Age not a big deal to me. After all, 70 is the new 60. I wasn't on board last time, but it's time to make the move.
How times have changed
Joe Lapchick was forced to retire at the age of 65
Look at how many guys are still coaching in their 70's these days
They may have to carry Boeheim off the bench one day
I thought he would pack it in when his sons finished their careers at Syracuse
Smart move by Hopkins to leave rather than stay there as the "coach in waiting"

Back