G'TOWN GAME THREAD

Trust me, I'd completely understand if some of these players thought about leaving SJU. Obviously, this season is not turning out exactly how anyone thought. However, my message to them would be to try and be patient. Look at this season for what it is -- a learning experience in every sense. You are playing shorthanded against players that have a hell of a lot more experience than you do. Next year, that experience is going to be invaluable. You are going to be one year older and the coaching staff is going to bring in more talented players to assist you in the quest to put St. John's on top again.

The staff has already landed our point guard of the future in Jamal Branch, who will become the de facto leader up top. We're still going hard after JaKarr Sampson, Ricardo Gathers, and Christopher Obekpa. And I'm sure Lavin has his eye on a shooter or two who can shoot the ball from deep. Even though it may not seem it from your perspective, things are advancing. We brought in great talent this year and have been involved with many big time recruits around the nation. The coaching staff and the fan base is committed to making St. John's a power and with your help, we are going to get there. 

I can understan your point about guys being frustrated and things not going the way they thought, but I really dont think anyone wants to leave. They see what Lavin is trying to do at st. john's and they want to be part of it. That is why they came here. These are smart kids they know right now they are young and outnumbered and they see Lavin out there recruiting trying to bring in top level talent to play with this years team. I really see theses kids as winners and winner fight through adversity.

This team is terrible from the offensive end and the defensive end Harrisson and greene should be embarassed at the way they played Think if you wanted to it would bE HARD to plAY THIS BAD **lETS NOT FOOL OUR SELF ANY LONGER WE ARE GOING NO WHERE THIS YR unless we get some quality help
next yr will be the same place Do not understand how you can play a whole game and shoot 1-12 and only score 5 gg is in the same boat
It is p[ossible we do not wion another BE game this yr

No one thought we were going anywhere this year with a shorthanded and youthful group. Anyone who thought we were "going anywhere" with this particular group were delusional and over-the-top fans.

I'm really wondering about some folks. 

Wondering about poor Usguard! Looks like he typed his comments in the dark! I needed to google a translation application to figure out what the f he was saying! LOL! Some fans need to take a chill pill! We played a top 10 team with 5 inexperienced freshmen and with about 5 minutes to go we were down 3 points. When Moe fouled out it became simply a question of by how much we would lose. 

Same problems today. We had the game back within 3 but lack of a PG and some guys up front really hurt. D'Angelo had an off day. We couldn't break their zone. Unfortunately Phil Greene has been just awful out there. Next season our ills will likely be solved. For now, we will play without the PG and bigs we really need. I tell you, we really would do well to have Darrick wood back in the fold as well. He can really shoot and score inside and out. I wish he got things together because he's that dynamic scorer aside from harrison and Harkless that we need on the court. He's not afraid to score and is not tentative.

Although dissapointing. This is a learning,rebuilding year. These kids got thrown in the fire, but the experience will be invaluable and will help in the longrun. As much as I love D LO, I have to admit he is inconsistint and Greene is flatout dissapointing so far, hopefully Lavin can reel in another shooter.

This team is terrible from the offensive end and the defensive end Harrisson and greene should be embarassed at the way they played Think if you wanted to it would bE HARD to plAY THIS BAD **lETS NOT FOOL OUR SELF ANY LONGER WE ARE GOING NO WHERE THIS YR unless we get some quality help
next yr will be the same place Do not understand how you can play a whole game and shoot 1-12 and only score 5 gg is in the same boat
It is p[ossible we do not wion another BE game this yr

No one thought we were going anywhere this year with a shorthanded and youthful group. Anyone who thought we were "going anywhere" with this particular group were delusional and over-the-top fans.

I'm really wondering about some folks. 

I agree, anyone with an ounce of basketball insight knew this was going to be a tough year. They are playing fine against more experienced, deeper teams. There is nothing to panic or jump off bridges about, if you know what you are looking for, there are positives to take out of every game. We came back nicely today but then their experience and our lack of same took over.

What a difference between our zone offense and G'town. They have a wide open offense finishing with passes to the corner with open three point shots, while we have three guards passing the ball back and forth outside the circle.
As Tim Welsh reported, G'town was flashing to the basket from the weak side, scoring easy layups. When are we going to learn how to stop these easy baskets. Do we not look and learn from past films.

Need more from Greene. He's got to step up his game offensively. He just is way too passive. What happened to the kid I saw taking and making shots at Kentucky? Staff needs to work with him and get his confidence back. Is he a star? No, but he's also not a scrub. He's capable of more.

Really liked what Amir brought today. He was feisty out there. Great energy off the bench.

At one point G'town had four 6'8 & taller guys out there and Clarke. Their overall length was the difference on defense covering and shutting down Harrison and on the boards. Advantge inside was theirs and they exploited it.

And finally, Mo was superb. All the Hoya fans I was with were so impressed. He's on another level. Hope we get next year from him. They way he played today I'm getting worried he might go Pro.

What I miss... My heart pumping, my fist pumping and the screaming come out of my lungs when this team is good. . Now I watch our games with such low expectations and little energy. I, like the rest of us on this board, are hopeful. Hopeful that again we will feel that energy and passion that brings us closer to our alma mater.

Our future resides in Lav... In Lav we trust.... Hopefully he comes back next year energized, passionate and ready to compete at the highest level....for now, we watch and wait...

Need more from Greene. He's got to step up his game offensively. He just is way too passive. What happened to the kid I saw taking and making shots at Kentucky? Staff needs to work with him and get his confidence back. Is he a star? No, but he's also not a scrub. He's capable of more.

Really liked what Amir brought today. He was feisty out there. Great energy off the bench.

At one point G'town had four 6'8 & taller guys out there and Clarke. Their overall length was the difference on defense covering and shutting down Harrison and on the boards. Advantge inside was theirs and they exploited it.

And finally, Mo was superb. All the Hoya fans I was with were so impressed. He's on another level. Hope we get next year from him. They way he played today I'm getting worried he might go Pro.

Phil Greene would not be in this predicament had Nurideen Lindsey jumped ship, or if Malik Stith was even an average point guard. Next year Jamal Branch will own the PG position and Phil will float in and out of the games but the playing time and experience Phil is getting now will serve him well next year and beyond.
Moe is nowhere near being NBA ready! He still needs to physically develop and learn to make better decisions, especially with the ball in his hands.
When Moe fouled out we had only GG with height but at the 6:36 mark it was only 48-45. Gtown had the 6'10 Sims and two 6'8 kids with speed and shooting ability in the game. Game over. Next year with depth at every position, except point guard, SJ will be a completely different team.

I wasn't really going to commentate on this thread because we lost, I didn't get to see the loss, and I didn't think I had anything to contibute (and still don't) but that being said...
wth is wrong with people. Even if you are the King of Pessimists maybe you should keep your pessimism in your back pocket, buried it in your glass of bourbon or whatever you need to do to minimize the damage of the loss. All you are doing is throwing fuel on the fire and working at creating a self-fulfilling prophecy when you start :sick: vomiting your pisspoor attitude all over the website. Way to help pick the kids up. This isn't the old era. This is a quality core of kids who are undermanned and without several key pieces that we thought would be in place. Lavin is working to reconcile it.  He already has the answer to the backcourt problem with Branch in the fold and instead of focusing on that you want to point out all that you see wrong. How about comments that build up...I don't know like fans of the team would do. I felt like I was reading some 'cuse or Pukon site as I went through this. Talking about what kids can improve is one thing...talking about how terrible they are or why would they stay here on a public forum is pretty much something I would expect from a 13 year old or an opponent.

I can't wait to see how great these guys are when we have a legitimate PG distributing the ball to them and they can play the positions they are best at.
I can't wait until we some legitimate big men so we can have a real inside out game
I can't wait until Lavin is back on the bench to energize them.

Maybe you could help build up the 18 year old KIDS by showing some support

No instead you put out commentary that would make Flo the Progressive chick wanna start therapy/drinking. Bravo. 

I wasn't really going to commentate on this thread because we lost, I didn't get to see the loss, and I didn't think I had anything to contibute (and still don't) but that being said...
wth is wrong with people. Even if you are the King of Pessimists maybe you should keep your pessimism in your back pocket, buryied it in your glass of bourbon or whatever you need to do to minimize the damage of the loss. All you are doing is throwing fuel on the fire and working at creating a self fulfilling prophecy when you start :sick: vomiting your pisspoor attitude all over the website. Way to help pick the kids up. This isn't the old era. This is a quality core of kids who are undermanned and without several key pieces that we thought would be in place. Lavin is working to reconcile it.  He already has the answer to the backcourt problem with Branch in the fold and instead of focusing on that you want to point out all that you see wrong. How about comments that build up...I don't know like fans of the team would do. I felt like I was reading some 'cuse or Pukon site as I went through this. Talking about what kids can improve is one thing...talking about how terrible they are or why would they stay here on a public forum is pretty much something I would expect from a 13 year old or an opponent.

I can't wait to see how great these guys are when we have a legitimate PG distributing the ball to them and they can play the positions they are best at.
I can't wait until we some legitimate big men so we can have a real inside out game

No instead you put out commentary that would make Flo the Progressive chick wanna start therapy/drinking. Bravo.

Fantastic post. I agree with you 100%. sometimes people forget that they are talking about 18 year old kids and not professional athletes. These kids are out there playing their butts of night after night. they need our support not our negitivity. Lavin is out there working hard to get us players for next year and years to come.

Soon teams will be looking at us from the bottom of the standings.

This team has such a lack of discipline its disgusting.... 

I mean, the vast majority of the team ARE Freshmen though. Now if this weren't the case I'd be jumping at that as well, but they are who they are.

Pointer reaching and fouling 30ft away from the hoop has nothing to do with him being a freshman.......that is being undisciplined and is UNACCEPTABLE at any level. 

And for a team that has a short bench...they should know better than to commit stupid fouls like that.

( ok I'm breaking my self imposed 2 week ban for this one post )I'm curious you mention this play with Pointer but you didn't mention the one by Pointer when he twisted his ankle or something like that and limped all the way back on defense ( while signaling to the coaches that he needed to come out ) and still had a nasty clean block on what was a sure layup ) on basically 1 foot.

Then he had to come out of the game because he was hurt

I mean, the vast majority of the team ARE Freshmen though. Now if this weren't the case I'd be jumping at that as well, but they are who they are.

Pointer reaching and fouling 30ft away from the hoop has nothing to do with him being a freshman.......that is being undisciplined and is UNACCEPTABLE at any level. 

And for a team that has a short bench...they should know better than to commit stupid fouls like that.

( ok I'm breaking my self imposed 2 week ban for this one post )I'm curious you mention this play with Pointer but you didn't mention the one by Pointer when he twisted his ankle or something like that and limped all the way back on defense ( while signaling to the coaches that he needed to come out ) and still had a nasty clean block on what was a sure layup ) on basically 1 foot.

That was a great play. Pointer is going to be a real good player. I see him as Willie Glass, Great defender, high energy and his offensive game will improve. By his junior year Glass was an excellent offensive player, I think Pointer will even top what glass gave us.

Agreed on that point regarding Pointer, Jumbo.

I attributed that moreso to the fact that he (along with the rest of the team) is frustrated. Not really defending his actions, but it was an ugly game.

You generally see their undiscipline play once things go awry. You could attribute it to frustration. It's a long season and I'm sure they are tiring of getting whipped. It's not an excuse on his part, but I can see both sides.

Couldn't agree more MJ. . .Was at game and mentioned to my friend that you could see that they got frustrated as soon as they blew the opportunity to cut the lead to 1 when they turned it over (yet again) on a break. . .

Most frustrating for me today were the bad passes in traffic and poorly run fast breaks. . . and I think coach needs to tell these kids to shoot the ball when open. . . if they miss, they miss. . .too much reliance on Harrison and Harkless. . .

What I miss... My heart pumping, my fist pumping and the screaming come out of my lungs when this team is good. . Now I watch our games with such low expectations and little energy. I, like the rest of us on this board, are hopeful. Hopeful that again we will feel that energy and passion that brings us closer to our alma mater.

Our future resides in Lav... In Lav we trust.... Hopefully he comes back next year energized, passionate and ready to compete at the highest level....for now, we watch and wait...

That was a great play. Pointer is going to be a real good player. I see him as Willie Glass, Great defender, high energy and his offensive game will improve. By his junior year Glass was an excellent offensive player, I think Pointer will even top what glass gave us.

Pointer is strong and gets to the hoop real well and isnt a bad foul shooter. . .he should do it more often. . .

You should still be pumped watching these kids play. They need our support win or lose.

wth is wrong with people. Even if you are the King of Pessimists maybe you should keep your pessimism in your back pocket, buried it in your glass of bourbon or whatever you need to do to minimize the damage of the loss. All you are doing is throwing fuel on the fire and working at creating a self-fulfilling prophecy when you start :sick: vomiting your pisspoor attitude all over the website. Way to help pick the kids up. This isn't the old era. This is a quality core of kids who are undermanned and without several key pieces that we thought would be in place. Lavin is working to reconcile it.  He already has the answer to the backcourt problem with Branch in the fold and instead of focusing on that you want to point out all that you see wrong. How about comments that build up...I don't know like fans of the team would do. I felt like I was reading some 'cuse or Pukon site as I went through this. Talking about what kids can improve is one thing...talking about how terrible they are or why would they stay here on a public forum is pretty much something I would expect from a 13 year old or an opponent.

Best post I have read on this thread so far followed by Logen's post which was followed by class of 72s.
This was going to be a loosing season with or without Nuri. We are in grossly inexperienced, small and have next to no bench and a interim coach.
Next season we will return 97% of our scoring, add a top 50 pg and a bunch of other top level talent. STOP WITH THE NEGATIVITY.

Back