G'TOWN GAME THREAD

This team has such a lack of discipline its disgusting.... 

I mean, the vast majority of the team ARE Freshmen though. Now if this weren't the case I'd be jumping at that as well, but they are who they are.

This team has such a lack of discipline its disgusting.... 

I mean, the vast majority of the team ARE Freshmen though. Now if this weren't the case I'd be jumping at that as well, but they are who they are.

Pointer reaching and fouling 30ft away from the hoop has nothing to do with him being a freshman.......that is being undisciplined and is UNACCEPTABLE at any level. 

And for a team that has a short bench...they should know better than to commit stupid fouls like that.

Gods Gift has no skill at all. I am shocked that he was recruited by some pretty good teams. He does not do anything well. They really need to bring in a couple of big guys next year.

Agreed on that point regarding Pointer, Jumbo.

I attributed that moreso to the fact that he (along with the rest of the team) is frustrated. Not really defending his actions, but it was an ugly game.

Agreed on that point regarding Pointer, Jumbo.

I attributed that moreso to the fact that he (along with the rest of the team) is frustrated. Not really defending his actions, but it was an ugly game.

You generally see their undiscipline play once things go awry. You could attribute it to frustration. It's a long season and I'm sure they are tiring of getting whipped. It's not an excuse on his part, but I can see both sides.

I think they have just hit a wall. Hard to compete with 6 legitimate Div 1 players. Cut the lead to 3 and then get outscored 21-4 rest of the game. Hopefully they stay focused and continue to learn from this year. Lavin really has to do a tremendous job bringing in players for next year. 1. to add scoring and rebounding punch and 2. to have depth.

I am still going to enjoy watching this team grow and learn as a unit, but cant help thinking of the good things to come down the line. 

This team is terrible from the offensive end and the defensive end Harrisson and greene should be embarassed at the way they played Think if you wanted to it would bE HARD to plAY THIS BAD **lETS NOT FOOL OUR SELF ANY LONGER WE ARE GOING NO WHERE THIS YR unless we get some quality help
next yr will be the same place Do not understand how you can play a whole game and shoot 1-12 and only score 5 gg is in the same boat
It is p[ossible we do not wion another BE game this yr

Tough situation for kids, coaching staff, fans, etc.. They'll be lucky to finish with 6 wins this year in the big east.

Losing ain't fun and keeping the current kids interested in staying and getting more recruits excited about coming to a program with a absent coach with rumors he may not come back.. We'll let's just say we can't catch a break can we... You think Lavin's coaching staff is saying to themselves right now we didn't think it was going to be like this.

I did not see the game.. FG % WAS LIKE 32% AND 0%(0-11) FROM THE FOUL LINE.. i just hope this is not all these guys are capable of.. They are 2nd semester frosh but, are still making or, more accurately not making  a acceptable percentage of their shots. Harrison had a awful game, it appears..

Lavin needs to complete this group with a center and a SHOOTER.. Harrison is too inconsistent to be labeled a shooter, in my opinion.

Greene is not a PG, nor a scorer. Garrett gets a pass this year but, has a limited offensive game..

Tough situation for kids, coaching staff, fans, etc.. They'll be lucky to finish with 6 wins this year in the big east.

Losing ain't fun and keeping the current kids interested in staying and getting more recruits excited about coming to a program with a absent coach with rumors he may not come back.. We'll let's just say we can't catch a break can we... You think Lavin's coaching staff is saying to themselves right now we didn't think it was going to be like this.

Yes, it's a tough situation for the kids, coaching staff and fans. 6 wins is about what I expect from this group. Hopefully, the losing doesn't affect the current bunch too much, in which one of 'em bolts.

But, guess what? We've already received a commitment from a top 50 point guard, and more reinforcement on the way. We're gonna get some spring commitments, and if they are from the kids who I believe it'll be, then we're gonna be in great shape.

Those teams looking down at us now may have to get used to looking up at us.

Yes, it's a tough situation for the kids, coaching staff and fans. 6 wins is about what I expect from this group. Hopefully, the losing doesn't affect the current bunch too much, in which one of 'em bolts.

But, guess what? We've already received a commitment from a top 50 point guard, and more reinforcement on the way. We're gonna get some spring commitments, and if they are from the kids who I believe it'll be, then we're gonna be in great shape.

Amen brother Hope you are right Just very dissapponted from this group so far

This team is terrible from the offensive end and the defensive end Harrisson and greene should be embarassed at the way they played Think if you wanted to it would bE HARD to plAY THIS BAD **lETS NOT FOOL OUR SELF ANY LONGER WE ARE GOING NO WHERE THIS YR unless we get some quality help
next yr will be the same place Do not understand how you can play a whole game and shoot 1-12 and only score 5 gg is in the same boat
It is p[ossible we do not wion another BE game this yr

No one thought we were going anywhere this year with a shorthanded and youthful group. Anyone who thought we were "going anywhere" with this particular group were delusional and over-the-top fans.

I'm really wondering about some folks. 

the thing that worries me about this group is how much more potential do they have. harkless of course  will get better especially if he bulks up a little as he gets older. harrison seems like a d.j. kennedy type of player he will win some for us and lose some for us and his skill level will probably max out by next year. the rest of the guys i think are what they are. i know they're just freshman and im certainly no expert but thats just how i see it now. hopefully we get a lot of help the next year or two.

Amen brother Hope you are right Just very dissapponted from this group so far

I dont think you can be disappointed with this group. You are playing shorthanded in the best conference in college basketball. 5 of your 6 core players are either freshmen or first year players, Take any team in any sport and put all rookies out there and see where they would finish. This team IS going to get better, be patient, this was not going to happen in 1 year. Look at Indiana. it took Tom Creen 4 years to get them back to a power. We are looking at 17 games. Relax we will be fine.

the thing that worries me about this group is how much more potential do they have. harkless of course  will get better especially if he bulks up a little as he gets older. harrison seems like a d.j. kennedy type of player he will win some for us and lose some for us and his skill level will probably max out by next year. the rest of the guys i think are what they are. i know they're just freshman and im certainly no expert but thats just how i see it now. hopefully we get a lot of help the next year or two.

Harkless and Harrison are solid players, but they aren't Kevin Durant and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (formerly, Chris Jackson) when they came out of high school, respectively. The rest of the guys are role players who have been thrust to play and contribute more than they are capable of doing at this moment.

We need frontcourt help, a point guard (we have one on the way), another shooter and overall depth. 

I believe all of 'em will be rectified next season. 

Trust me, I'd completely understand if some of these players thought about leaving SJU. Obviously, this season is not turning out exactly how anyone thought. However, my message to them would be to try and be patient. Look at this season for what it is -- a learning experience in every sense. You are playing shorthanded against players that have a hell of a lot more experience than you do. Next year, that experience is going to be invaluable. You are going to be one year older and the coaching staff is going to bring in more talented players to assist you in the quest to put St. John's on top again.

The staff has already landed our point guard of the future in Jamal Branch, who will become the de facto leader up top. We're still going hard after JaKarr Sampson, Ricardo Gathers, and Christopher Obekpa. And I'm sure Lavin has his eye on a shooter or two who can shoot the ball from deep. Even though it may not seem it from your perspective, things are advancing. We brought in great talent this year and have been involved with many big time recruits around the nation. The coaching staff and the fan base is committed to making St. John's a power and with your help, we are going to get there. 

Back