Euro 2020 Knockout Stage

Austor, the other team was never identified in the movie. Just as well, because if it was Italy, I would be complaining that Brazil was getting all the calls and missed the entire opening scene. /media/kunena/emoticons/tongue.png

Interesting TV numbers for Euro 2020 (sic) for ABC/ESPN in the US.  viewership through the quarterfinals is up 25% over 2016.  It could be Covid work from home impact but even so the games are never in prime time so quite an accomplishment. 

Argentina es campeon de la Copa America 2021 and Diego smiles down from above.  Not a great game, too much tactical fouling.

1. Excellent goal by the Angel of Mary
2. Emi Martinez is a very good goalie
3. Richarlson plays for Everton but Everton also plays for Brasil!

TX Redman post=436359 said:
Argentina es campeon de la Copa America 2021 and Diego smiles down from above.  Not a great game, too much tactical fouling.

2. Emi Martinez is a very good goalie
3. Richarlson plays for Everton but Everton also plays for Brasil!
said it then and will keep saying Arsenal sold the wrong keeper 

Haven't been really watching much of Copa.  Last nights game was almost unwatchable with the ongoing fouling flopping and whining and moaning to the ref.  Felt sorry for him because he tried to control the game.  There was very little flow because of all the whistles.  I get the emotional aspect of it and the bad blood between some of the countries, but some of the cynical fouls were almost as much about trying to hurt the guy than stop the play.

If there isin't a rule against simulation, there should be, and the ref should enforce it by giving cards.  The only way to control a  game.like last night was to card early, which he did against Fred, but then let a lot worse stuff go.  Take control, let them know you're not going to tolerate excessive nonsense, and play the game. 

Last edited:
mjmaherjr post=436360 said:
Very Happy for Messi and to see Brazil go down 

I find it hard to feel sorry for Messi,  He's a multi, multi millionaire and he can console himself by buying another few houses, planes, cars, etc.

I have a friend who is happy but hoping for the trifecta.  He was born in Argentina and family migrated to US when he was a "tween".  (He had a parilla grill built for his backyard.)  His family had originally migrated to Argentina from Italy to Argentina so today he is rooting for the Azzurri whose vicory will be double sweet as it will be over the "hated" English.

So in a few hours fans will be singing "It's Coming Home" or "It's Going to Rome"

mjmaherjr post=436377 said:
I hear you Section9 I just have a much harder time rooting for Neymar. :).  

Couldn't agree more.  I just don't get the sympathy thing.  Messi's a great player, but he's consistently failed to come up big in crucial matches for Argentina.  Last night's blunder in the box, when he could have iced it for them, was another example.

Last edited:
Section9 post=436392 said:
mjmaherjr post=436377 said:
I hear you Section9 I just have a much harder time rooting for Neymar. :).  

Couldn't agree more.  I just don't get the sympathy thing.  Messi's a great player, but he's consistently failed to come up big in crucial matches for Argentina.  Last night's blunder in the box, when he could have iced it for them, was another example.

That was a bad missed opportunity in the box. For me personally though it's basically how I felt when Peyton and Elway finally got their championships. I was rooting for them although not fans of their teams. You guys know Euro soccer a heck of a lot better than me in South America Nation team play can be brutal if you lose. Its one thing to have the weight of your team on you like Peyton and Elway but man the weight of your country is an entirely different level so that's why for me I was happy for him plus in South America visiting and people wise Argentina is my second favorite country after Peru

TX Redman post=436359 said:

You mean the same "Angel" who got a red card in the Champion's League when late in a losing game he stamped on the foot of an opponent who was standing out of bounds waiting to make a throw in?

It's going Rome.  Enjoyable final. 

Southgate's choice of penalty takers was bizarre. Bad management bringing on Rashford and Sancho so late.  Feel really bad for Saka. 

The Mt Rushmore of Italian CD's (Gentile, Baresi, Maldini and Bergomi) needs room for a fifth... Chiellini.  What a warrior.  Forza Azzuri.

fire Southgate!  His decision to bring in Rashford and Sancho with less than two minutes to go and then ask them to take PKs was awful.  They both had deer in the headlights looks.  I don't blame them, but where were Sterling and Grealish?

Congrats to Italy, they controlled the game and kept England pinned in for most of it.

Back