Euro 2020 Knockout Stage

Section9

Denmark beat up on a Wales team that showed too many flaws.  If they were in a stronger group Wales would never have gotten to the knockout round.  Let's see how Denmark holds up as the competition gets tougher

Italy was stretched by Austria and it showed that the Italians were over-hyped coming out of the group stage.  Like Denmark, let's see how they do against stiffer competition.

Section9 post=435485 said:
Denmark beat up on a Wales team that showed too many flaws.  If they were in a stronger group Wales would never have gotten to the knockout round.  Let's see how Denmark holds up as the competition gets tougher

Italy was stretched by Austria and it showed that the Italians were over-hyped coming out of the group stage.  Like Denmark, let's see how they do against stiffer competition.
Austria changed their style in 2nd half and became more offensive which exposed the Italian back line, but the goal by Chiesa was a beauty.  Denmark is the "feel good" story of the tournament and potential game against Dutch will be tough.

Looking forward to Belgium/Portugal ( and watching the Dutch again) in tomorrow's action. 

Although many will blame the red card for the Netherlands defeat, the Czechs were having he best of it since late in the first half.  Another example of a group stage wonder that falls flat on the big stage in a game they should have won.

Belgium staggered through the second half, and Portugal should have scored twice including a shot off the post.  Now Belgium has time to recuperate and hopefully get DeBruyner back against Italy.  On paper it should be a barn burner but most of this stage's games have not gone according to form.

Section9 post=435527 said:
Although many will blame the red card for the Netherlands defeat, the Czechs were having he best of it since late in the first half.  Another example of a group stage wonder that falls flat on the big stage in a game they should have won.

Belgium staggered through the second half, and Portugal should have scored twice including a shot off the post.  Now Belgium has time to recuperate and hopefully get DeBruyner back against Italy.  On paper it should be a barn burner but most of this stage's games have not gone according to form.
Agree that the red card not an excuse for Netherlands as anything is possible in Knock-out play.

As to Bel/Port game it was a very exciting match and also one that an incredible amount of animosity between the teams.  Thought the ref could have better controled the game with a few more yellows. Before Pepe's yellow there should have been a call on Belgium at mis field.  Overall it was quite an exciting match with great intensity in second half.  And not only does Belgium need time for DeBruyner to heal but also Eden Hazard for them to effectively execute.  

Wonder if Mancini changes starters to include Locatelli, chiesa and/or Belotti.  They seem much more assetive with them in the game.

I had the Dutch in my office pool :( 

the Portugal/Belgium game was a lot of fun. I agree the ref didn’t do a good job controlling it. 

What an afternoon of games--both overtimes and one to penalty kicks.  Great action.  Always amazed by Swiss Shaqiri who looks like a rugby player but his replacement was a big hero with a goal in the 90th minute to send it to OT and also made first goal of shot out.

Much credit to Croatia who fought back down 3-1 to send it to OT but ran out of gas against Spain.

What can you say about the Swiss?  Or rather what can you say about France?  After the Lloris save on the PK France finally showed themselves for about 20 minutes, built up a 3-1 lead and figured it was in the bag.  All tournament long they played like they believed their own hype and just had to show up.  Everyone is talking about Sommer's save on Mbappe in the PK shootout, but he also made a fantastic stop on Giroud's header in OT that saved their bacon.

In the space of two days Portugal and France are out!

And suddenly the path for the ENG/GER winner to the finals is wide open.  Of course that means something screwy will happen.

That was a great day of soccer, especially the France-Switzerland game.  I have no idea who is going to win this.

The France loss was particularly sweet for me as a Mannschaft fan who virulently hates the French team. I could go on from there but life is good tonight. 

I expect everyone to stop working in the U.K. today at 4:59. In a normal world every and place with a tv would have been packed with people singing It’s Coming Home. 

TX Redman post=435606 said:
That was a great day of soccer, especially the France-Switzerland game.  I have no idea who is going to win this.

Belgium/media/kunena/emoticons/smile.png

gman post=435612 said:
I expect everyone to stop working in the U.K. today at 4:59. In a normal world every and place with a tv would have been packed with people singing It’s Coming Home. 

4:59?
From the looks of social media they stopped working hours before that.

Moose post=435631 said:
gman post=435612 said:

4:59?
From the looks of social media they stopped working hours before that.
Its tough to know since we are all still working from home ;)

that was a fun one!

Said Italy England from the beginning and still hoping for that final.

As for Belgium this is their last hurrah.  This golden generation needs to win this almost as much as England needs it to come home.  I like Roberto as a manager and hope he does well.  But pulling for the family and Italy in that matchup.

Last edited:
Germany's lack of offensive punch was exposed again.  Kudos to England, they came through in crunch time.  I bet everyone in England is licking their chops waiting for the Ukraine match-up. 

As exciting as the first game was the second became a real snoozer, especially for the last 60 minutes. 

Moose post=435658 said:

As for Belgium this is their last hurrah.  This golden generation needs to win this almost as much as England needs it to come home.  I like Roberto as a manager and hope he does well.  But pulling for the family and Italy in that matchup.

England finally got production from Kane and Sterling;  will need them to get back to Wembley for semis and finals.
Also agree on Mancini who has revitalized the Italian national team.  Would love an Italy/Spain semi..

But first looking forward to this Friday/Saturday.

BrooklynRed post=435664 said:
Moose post=435658 said:

England finally got production from Kane and Sterling;  will need them to get back to Wembley for semis and finals.
Also agree on Mancini who has revitalized the Italian national team.  Would love an Italy/Spain semi..

But first looking forward to this Friday/Saturday.

For clarity I have always like Roberto Martinez but still pulling for Italy.  But yes Mancini has brought the group together.  He was solid manager at City also.  Then again two of the last 3 managers (Prandelli and Ventura) were completely over their head and clueless.

Auf Wiedersehen die Mannschaft und Jogi Löw, who was quoted to say "In der Kabine war ich sehr, sehr enttäuscht".  I know the feeling...  It was fun but goodness the celebrations were too much.  It's like England hadn't beaten Germany since the blitz 2001 or sumthin'

My QF predicted winner in bold:

Switzerland vs Spain.  Xhaka can't.  Tiki-taka prevails here.  2-0 to Spain.
Belgium vs Italy.  If the reports are correct and De Bruyne (or DeBruyner, even) and the elder duke of Hazard are out, then I expect the cagey Italians to prevail. Don't understand the love for Martinez, unless it's Spanish for mediocre?  See his tenure at Everton and Wigan.  Hipsters will be crying in their Trappist suds.  2-1 to Italy, forza azzurri!
Czech Rep vs Denmark. Sorry Christian, Shick is sharp and something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Czech mate!  1-0 Czech Rep.  
Ukraine vs England.  Would love to see Dynamo Kiev Ukraine win.  The 3 Lions don't have Wembley and their fans cannot travel but I think they win a close one, 2-1 Ingurland,   At least I can be happy for Saka!

TX Redman post=435674 said:
Auf Wiedersehen die Mannschaft und Jogi Löw, who was quoted to say "In der Kabine war ich sehr, sehr enttäuscht".  I know the feeling...  It was fun but goodness the celebrations were too much.  It's like England hadn't beaten Germany since the blitz 2001 or sumthin'

My QF predicted winner in bold:

Switzerland vs Spain.  Xhaka can't.  Tiki-taka prevails here.  2-0 to Spain.
Belgium vs Italy.  If the reports are correct and De Bruyne (or DeBruyner, even) and the elder duke of Hazard are out, then I expect the cagey Italians to prevail. Don't understand the love for Martinez, unless it's Spanish for mediocre?  See his tenure at Everton and Wigan.  Hipsters will be crying in their Trappist suds.  2-1 to Italy, forza azzurri!
Czech Rep vs Denmark. Sorry Christian, Shick is sharp and something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Czech mate!  1-0 Czech Rep.  
Ukraine vs England.  Would love to see Dynamo Kiev Ukraine win.  The 3 Lions don't have Wembley and their fans cannot travel but I think they win a close one, 2-1 Ingurland,   At least I can be happy for Saka!

I'm going chalk all the way, enough with these upsets./media/kunena/emoticons/smile.png

Spain, Belgium, Denmark, England.

Last edited:
Back