Euro 2020 Knockout Stage

mjmaherjr post=436088 said:
Section9 post=436087 said:
mjmaherjr post=436055 said:
Root for Peru vs Brazil tonight we are prepared for a loss but hoping for a miracle  . Viva Peru !!!  [attachment=2161]1179A0F1-7BA3-4B28-BABE-D0480E5B920E.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=2162]12E2A3BA-BEEF-4974-8B94-709B4A455608.jpeg[/attachment]

Wow, tough loss.  Looks like the Peru goalie had an outstanding game, especially in the first half.  How many times did Neymar flop and how many times did he whine and complain to the ref?

I hate him so much. He was his usual flopper self last night but there was a lot of it in general

I met a kid at Myers farm stand today and asked him what jersey he was wearing.  He said a Neymar PSG one.  I then asked him if he flopped down ane rolled around grabbing his leg any time anybody walked near him.  He just laughed.

mjmaherjr post=436127 said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ1EdyCLvUA&fbclid=IwAR02vSg_rwT8mYCVo4L6nm23RXwQKfVMRBQkG3WjCUsePFPD6mM9Wl79Ag8

That is cold, hysterical but cold./media/kunena/emoticons/cheerful.png  The Meuller line about being better at making yogurt than scoring goals was the best.  followed by the girl saying at least France is out.

It took me a while to exhale. Spain played better, but there is more to it than they were unlucky.
Possession looks good, but you have to finish. And Spain did not.

Italy gutted it out without Spinazzola. He is very important to their defense. He covers a lot of ground, overlaps well, and allows Bonucci and Chiellini, putting pressure on the opponent.

This Italian team is being rebuilt as well after bottoming out by not qualifying for the last World Cup. 

kranmars post=436151 said:
It took me a while to exhale. Spain played better, but there is more to it than they were unlucky.
Possession looks good, but you have to finish. And Spain did not.

Italy gutted it out without Spinazzola. He is very important to their defense. He covers a lot of ground, overlaps well, and allows Bonucci and Chiellini, putting pressure on the opponent.

This Italian team is being rebuilt as well after bottoming out by not qualifying for the last World Cup. 

Agree that Spain had the better flow today and were effective in stopping the Italian "fast break" offense.  Also felt the referee did a good job of keeping the whistle in his pocket and let the players play.

With each game I am getting for impressed by the 22 year goalie--Donnarumma.  Made a big stop in 1st half and stopped one in shot out (maybe they have a replacement for my all time favorite-Buffone).

Chiellini was his ever calm self, loved his positivity with the refs and opposition at the coin tosses.  Hopefully he goes out a winner.

Was disappointed by the Cheese Man (Locateli) in the shoot out.

Hell of a post game celebration by team and Mancini after it was over--it was like the team was relieved.

Last edited:
What a pity for Spain!!

The team played well, but Italy´s defence was outstanding.

Spain tried it, but we missed the last pass.

It has been a very good championship for Spain (we began with many doubts) and we have a very young team.

A fun game last night and a shame for Spain they couldn’t pull it out.

I ventured to my office in central London for the first time in 16 month. I might have to head to a pub at noon and get ready for tonight’s match.

gonzalo post=436162 said:
What a pity for Spain!!

The team played well, but Italy´s defence was outstanding.

Spain tried it, but we missed the last pass.

It has been a very good championship for Spain (we began with many doubts) and we have a very young team.

Italy was lucky.  Spain is one clinical striker away from being a powerhouse.

This whole thing about Spain  being unlucky and being one finisher away from being a powerhouse is silly.

The majority of the top team in the world are a position away from being a powerhouse. 

Belgium’s must have been a position away from being a powerhouse because they have zero titles from their “golden generation.”

Spain is a poacher and a goalie away (he is a weak link too), but those are the hardest spots to fill.

The World Cup is only 16 months away (and it still irritates me that it is in Qatar), but we will see many more changes in national teams. It will be a strange one. That tournament will be more of a survival than any other.

so Italy, who looked like deer in the headlights for most of the second half and OT weren't lucky to win yesterday?  Olmo and Moratta's PKs were atrocious, so yeah, I think Italy were lucky and Spain unlucky.

Agree most teams are a key player or two away from super-team status.  I think yesterday Spain was that striker away from winning so I don't think it's "silly", just my opinion.

Spain dominated the play with possession time 65% to 35%; had 6 corners to 1; had 16 shots to 7 but as others have said very poor accuracy as both had 4 shots on goal.  I think Spain was well prepared to stop Italy's fast break offense as Italy was called for offsides 8 times to Spain's 1.
That being said, going to a shot out is like plating craps--to win you have to be lucky; Italy got lucky when luck mattered.

Getting the plowman's platter ready for this afternoon (or should it be afternoon high tea since game at 3PM)-TOO hot and humid to be out so glad the game is on.

Last edited:
kranmars post=436170 said:
The World Cup is only 16 months away (and it still irritates me that it is in Qatar), but we will see many more changes in national teams. It will be a strange one. That tournament will be more of a survival than any other.

On an unrelated note I'm watching Tomorrow War this past weekend (total schlock of course) and they are playing Xmas songs and watching the 2022 WC Final, and I'm saying to myself, this is a crazy simple continuity issue. Then I hit google and am shocked to see that the WC Final is actually being played December 18. I knew they had made adjustments due to the heat in Qatar (agree it's ridiculous that they're playing there) but I hadn't realized to what extent. I noted that one team in the final was Brazil.  Who was the other?

Moose post=435658 said:
Said Italy England from the beginning and still hoping for that final.

As for Belgium this is their last hurrah.  This golden generation needs to win this almost as much as England needs it to come home.  I like Roberto as a manager and hope he does well.  But pulling for the family and Italy in that matchup.

Good call. 

England get through.  Denmark ran out of gas with about 15 min. left in regulation and it was inevitable that the constant pressure and ball domination would pay off for the home side.

Sterling was man of the match as he had a hand, directly or indirectly in both goals.  His speed and tricky ball movement gave Denmark fits all game.

I'm picking England Sunday.

Very soft penalty and Schmeichel was unlucky not to keep it out.  He made so many great saves, chip off the old block.

First final for England in 55 years and it comes on the shoulders of the (until now) unheralded midfield of Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, Mason Mount and my main man Bukayo Saka.  Unreal.    The so called "golden generation" of Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Rooney, Scholes etc. achieved nowt. Teamwork + system > "stars".

I expect the Final to be cagey, both teams looking to nullify each other.  Maybe 1-0, maybe ET, maybe penno's.  I am all in on Italia.  FORZA AZZURRI (or "Forza Missouri" as they say in Branson).  Football is coming home - to Rome!

Enjoyed the Tea and Crumpets today.  England had the better of possession and the Danes looked like they were playing for a shoot out from the 70 minute mark on.  They were more effective and threatening when attacking, particularly with their height on corner kicks but Sterling/Kane came through.  English were very tentative at first; I thought they were feeling the pressure to win at home.  Controversity over the sterling penalty but I thought ref missed one earlier on Kane in the box.

So now have to decide on Sunday;s choice of fish and chips or meatball parm hero.  Gonna be a much anticipated match with 2 teams in great form; can only hope it lives up to expectations of 2 speedy teams 

Back