Euro 2020 Knockout Stage

In a normal cycle I could see Southgate getting sacked after that blatant mismanagement.  But with the ‘quick’ turnaround to the WC I think they are stuck with him. 

Mancini outcoached Southgate pure and simple.  The English went into a defensive shell for the entire second half. 
Italian goalie deserved the player of the Euro Cup award for his contribution over the seven games; Italy now has the replacement for my fav, Buffone. 
Kane and Sterling were no where to be seen; kudos to the Italian back line. 
The Chiesa injury could have been a killer but Mancini has played so many members of the team that the bench players were able to step in (and Chiesa's replacement scored in the shoot out).. 
Immobile played terrible so at the 55th minute Mancini pulled him and his replacement scored one of the goals in the shoot out.

Italy is now favorites for 2022 WC--but must decide on Chellini and Bonucci as they will be a year older; Big "boots" to fill.  Keep their Juventus games/time low and maybe they will be able to go again.

Figures that 2 of the 3 Man U players don’t convert.  In a Premier League game Rashford would be at best would be the third choice to take a PK after Fernandez and Pogba, just saying.

This win was extremely gratifying for a couple of reasons. The turnaround from failing to qualify for the 2018 World Cup was an embarrassment. Italian soccer had large cracks in the damn ever since winning the 2006 World Cup. But the people in charge were too arrogant and stubborn to make needed changes.

After hitting rock bottom, the program could have just put back pieces in place to qualify for tournaments and be somewhat competitive, or make radical changes and challenge for titles. To the old guard’s credit, they went with the big moves. 

It started with hiring Mancini. A wonderful player in his day, but his idea of soccer was and is different than what Italian soccer was know for. He is a better as a coach with less talent than with a team full of stars, because he believes in his more quick attack and pressure system that requires players to buy in. 

From there, he picked the players who would eschew individual glory to play within the team concept. In Italy’s case it helps that Chiellini and Bonucci are iconic defenders and are extensions of the coach. While you always need players who can take a game over, you don’t want too many that do not fit together. The wonderful Spain teams had Iniesta who ran the show, but just as importantly had players who knew exactly what their roles were and did them perfectly It helps when two of your leaders,

The program is developing players that are more aligned with the new Italy as well. This is great news going forward for sustaining high level competitiveness.

Then of course, it was great to beat England at Wembley. Coming from a goal down to do it showed grit by sticking to it despite giving up an early goal, and grinding it out.

And now the quick turnaround to World Cup qualifiers and the World Cup which is 16 months away.

One more time: It’s coming to Rome!

It’s a very somber (and tired) vibe in the U.K. today. 

Southgate hasn’t been too attacked by the media, but I thought he stunk it up yesterday.

With that said, I expected Italy to win. 

gman post=436445 said:
It’s a very somber (and tired) vibe in the U.K. today. 

Southgate hasn’t been too attacked by the media, but I thought he stunk it up yesterday.

With that said, I expected Italy to win. 

Too bad Southgate hasn't been attacked by the media.  Because the 3 players who missed PK's have been attacked by the fans on social media.  (as expected sadly)

Last edited:
Yes Moose it’s ugly what those guys are getting. Their manager set them up to fail. 

gman post=436447 said:
Yes Moose it’s ugly what those guys are getting. Their manager set them up to fail. 

He really managed a great tournament but yesterday was a disaster.  His subs were dumbfounding.  And then to leave guys like Sterling and Grealish (who he clearly doesn't see eye to eye with) and throw out 3 subs for PK's two of which are teenagers is baffling.

Agree on the racist stuff that is going on in England today--listened to BBC report this morning and it is really bad according to them.  The "yobs" all came out of their holes; over 1,000 already banned by Twitter.

As an aside, we saw completely different approaches to PK's by the goals--Pickford set up like his pants were on fire and Donnarumma was a stoic.  Pickford reminded me of fans behind a basket when an opposing player is taking a free throw while Donnarumma was laser focused.

BrooklynRed post=436454 said:
Agree on the racist stuff that is going on in England today--listened to BBC report this morning and it is really bad according to them.  The "yobs" all came out of their holes; over 1,000 already banned by Twitter.

As an aside, we saw completely different approaches to PK's by the goals--Pickford set up like his pants were on fire and Donnarumma was a stoic.  Pickford reminded me of fans behind a basket when an opposing player is taking a free throw while Donnarumma was laser focused.

I told my wife before the game that if it went to PKs Italy had the better goalie.  I confess that I'm a Bundesliga fan and don't follow the PL that closely, but is there no better English keeper?

You are spot on about demeanor.  Donnarumma was calm cool and collected and looked imposing in the net, Pickford looks like he has ants in his pants and just ate two dozen jalapenos.

I know someone who is a huge AC Milan fan and as really upset about PSG moving in on Donnarumma.

BrooklynRed post=436454 said:

Pickford is annoying as hell to watch. Looked like a guy with ADD and Tourette’s. Was hoping one of his teammates would slap him tell him to calm the fock down

Pickford is a clown. He overacts during penalties. He is over the top with celebrations and chatter after saves. 

Personally, I want a goalie, pitcher, and QB who is more stoic and in control. 

It feels like he is control and unfazed by the moment. Teammates feed off of that confidence.

kranmars post=436492 said:
Pickford is a clown. He overacts during penalties. He is over the top with celebrations and chatter after saves. 

Personally, I want a goalie, pitcher, and QB who is more stoic and in control. 

It feels like he is control and unfazed by the moment. Teammates feed off of that confidence.

So you are asking Pickford to ba a different person than he is, to suit your tastes. Guess you would have passed on him if you were choosing a Goalie for your team. If so, you would have passed on a helluva of a goalie!

Each goalie gave up one goal and blocked 2 kicks in PKs.  Just saying.

Glad Italy won but Pickford did a fine job and that's all that matters, not his antics.

Last edited:
Shamsman, when did I say Pickford should be a different person to please me. I am saying I do not like players at certain positions who go overboard with the antics.

That is just me. And I would (with prejudice) pick Donnarumma because of his demeanor. And I would still have managed to come up with a pretty good goalie anyway.

kranmars post=436526 said:
Shamsman, when did I say Pickford should be a different person to please me. I am saying I do not like players at certain positions who go overboard with the antics.

That is just me. And I would (with prejudice) pick Donnarumma because of his demeanor. And I would still have managed to come up with a pretty good goalie anyway.

I meant for England.

Back