DR Game #3 Dominican Republic Sr National Team

At this point in time, I like the line up of Posh, Soriano, Jones, Stanley and Storr as the two. As a fellow poster pointed out, when the season begins, if no guard has demonstrated a consistent long range shot, Storr has the most athleticism and upside so he should get allot of burn.

The issue of needing shooters magnifies the need for Anderson bringing in a proficient two guard like Carl C.

Overall, it’s hard to take too much away from these games based on this point in time and the level of the overall competition. The things I came away with was…..

1. The battle for playing time between Curbelo and King may get interesting

2. There is much work needed on the defensive end of the ball

3. In the improvement area…. Soriano, Posh and Stanley get the nod

4. Storr will be a fine addition to the team

5. Some players were as good as advertised, some not so much but again it’s early.

Gotta be honest I’m a little bit happy we aren’t gonna have the expectations run rampant from now till start of the season. Our fan momentum was certainly headed that way before this trip.
We’ll that’s a glass half full view if I’ve ever seen one. Good for you!

Should have said “unreasonable expectations”
I think much of the high expectations of fans and posters were based on the addition of Jones and Curbelo. While Jones looks legit, and while still early, Curbelo is going to have to contribute way more then he displayed these past three games. Even with the improvement of Posh, Soriano and others, if a few consistent long range shooters and a good transition defense, especially against the three ball, doesn’t show up, the overall improvement from last season may be minimal at best.

I think much of the high expectations of fans and posters were based on the addition of Jones and Curbelo. While Jones looks legit, and while still early, Curbelo is going to have to contribute way more then he displayed these past three games. Even with the improvement of Posh, Soriano and others, if a few consistent long range shooters and a good transition defense, especially against the three ball, doesn’t show up, the overall improvement from last season may be minimal at best.
Right and I agree for the most part. Had we ran through three Dominican teams easily those high expectations would have risen even higher. Many of which were based on never seeing the guys play. Now most should know it’s gonna be tough to have a exceptionally successful season. Not sweating a selection Sunday invite is all I want. Nothing I saw from this trip tells me that can’t happen. Takes time and that’s the biggest benefit of a trip like this.

If Soriano can tighten up his defense a bit, we're looking at a certain NBA player. Posh will also make money as a pro...maybe an NBAer as well.

If Soriano can tighten up his defense a bit, we're looking at a certain NBA player. Posh will also make money as a pro...maybe an NBAer as well.
NBA is not for Soriano IMO. It isn’t even for Kofi Cockburn. Gotta be able to stretch the court and more importantly handle switches on defense. We know that’s a huge issue for him.

But looking at the Dominican team maybe he can get an Olympic appearance sometime over next 12 years.

Soriano is not an NBA player. He is looking like a good to very good CB player.

Thats no indictment. Just the league is extremely hard to make.

Let's go 1-0 and claim 1st place in the world!

Last edited:
Admittedly Didn’t see the game. However, looking at just the box score (we don’t know how accurate it is) but Curbelo did as close to nothing as humanly possible good or bad. For a highly rated high school star and player with Big Ten experience this is a little…disappointing? I’m not gonna kill him (as I myself have pointed out this is a SCRIMMAGE) but you would think that in 16 minutes you might want to impose yourself into the game. Lots of time to come together. Back to work.

Admittedly Didn’t see the game. However, looking at just the box score (we don’t know how accurate it is) but Curbelo did as close to nothing as humanly possible good or bad. For a highly rated high school star and player with Big Ten experience this is a little…disappointing? I’m not gonna kill him (as I myself have pointed out this is a SCRIMMAGE) but you would think that in 16 minutes you might want to impose yourself into the game. Lots of time to come together. Back to work.
Just noting that the minutes for him were inaccurate. Maybe that makes it better or worse, I’m not sure. He played less than 10 minutes in the first half and don’t think he got in in the 2nd half.

I think much of the high expectations of fans and posters were based on the addition of Jones and Curbelo. While Jones looks legit, and while still early, Curbelo is going to have to contribute way more then he displayed these past three games.
I totally agree with this. Jones and Curbelo will get better as they get more acclimated to the style of play and system.

I like what Jones brings to the table, he is very aggressive in his drives to the basket and he looks to score in a variety of ways. With his athleticism and agility, he will bring more to the table defensively than Julian did and he won't have to score as much but he looks to be a capable scorer.

There are four starters I would like to put into ink; Posh, Jones. Stanley and Soriano...Stanley looks great.

The fifth starter can be figured out by November.
Omar was not happy about time last year. He stayed because he's smart enough to know he plays for a great coach. Everyone on the team gets better.

Does the 40 minutes of hell defense have a structural flaw that makes it marginally useful against drive and kick and five out offenses? Is our secondary defense of zone possibly improved if we switch to a matchup zone with man to man principles?

Does the 40 minutes of hell defense have a structural flaw that makes it marginally useful against drive and kick and five out offenses? Is our secondary defense of zone possibly improved if we switch to a matchup zone with man to man principles?
I like the matchup idea as long as it keeps our 5 in the paint. Really no matter what defense you play, if you give up driving lanes and allow for drive and kick situations, you’re gonna be in trouble.

Trapping defenses are vulnerable to the skip pass and rapid ball reversal around the perimeter. In the "40 Minutes of Hell" style, aggressive traps are employed to "disrupt" the flow of the opposing offense and force an increased tempo of the game. Traps out of a "man to man" defense are more risky and rely on player cohesion and awareness to avoid giving up too many open looks the "matchup" is an effective alternative depending on the opponent and situation.

The matchup zone defense was a staple of the "40 minutes of Hell" architect and Hall of Fame coach Nolan Richardson. Mike Anderson was right there beside him for a decade plus so I know he has seen it up close.

I hope we see it more this year, especially with the improved athleticism of this group.

Just noting that the minutes for him were inaccurate. Maybe that makes it better or worse, I’m not sure. He played less than 10 minutes in the first half and don’t think he got in in the 2nd half.
I don’t know better/worse but new player, new teammates etc. I’d want to make an impression. Try to make something happen. Stat sheet and by all accounts who did see the game he was …quiet? Don’t want to make too much of it.

Back