DR Game #3 Dominican Republic Sr National Team

Anyone know the average age of the opponents in this game #3 ?

I wonder if any of tonight’s opponents have NCAA D1eligibility and, if so, whether CMA will attempt to recruit one of the long range bombers.

It’s august and it’s not 95 degrees and humid. I’m not gonna get worked up over this. Was happy to just see some hall although that second game was just brutal to watch visually as it set camera angles back to the Stone Age

It’s august and it’s not 95 degrees and humid. I’m not gonna get worked up over this. Was happy to just see some hall although that second game was just brutal to watch visually as it set camera angles back to the Stone Age
If you had a few beers your perspective might be different. ;) :)

If winning was the ultimate goal for a trip to the DR in mid-August, then you make a Pinzon adjustment. If your goal is to have Pinzon ready for the season, then you let him get his ass kicked in the DR in mid-August. I guess there would have been a way to balance both, but it is what it is.

Duarte as good as anyone we will see all year. There were stretches we guarded well. Not nearly well enough for long enough, but there’s some stuff to work with.
Hey Mase, I know you are a big Wusu fan but where does he fit in with this team? His handle limits him at the one and two, and there are others like Jones and Storr at the three which could be his only spot. Clearly he did not contribute much today.

Hey Mase, I know you are a big Wusu fan but where does he fit in with this team? His handle limits him at the one and two, and there are others like Jones and Storr at the three which could be his only spot. Clearly he did not contribute much today.
Hey they are still in the DR it's pronounced woozoooo there :)

If you had never seen him play before this trip you’d probably think he’d be way out of rotation. I’m not gonna judge anything after missing game 1 and not getting consistent minutes with first group. I’m not worried about him. First few games last year he was odd man out after missing preseason with injuries. He found his way with his constancy and effort.

I think he fits in anywhere 2-4. Don’t want him bringing the ball up against pressure. Liked what King brought this trip but have to be honest think the older guys like Wusu will step up and be more ready when the real games start. Storr is the one guy who I think if game comes together could really put a dent in wusu and rest of secondary guards minutes. CMA has a really tough challenge figuring out the rotation but he has to do exactly that.

Nyiwe impressed me at the end of last season. Is there any sense of how he has progressed over the summer?
Strangely absent tonight. Not sure he played in the second half. But thought he looked like he picked up where the season left off. Comfortable and stronger.

Nyiwe impressed me at the end of last season. Is there any sense of how he has progressed over the summer?
For the most part, my most positive impressions coming out of these three games came from the play of the big men. Nywie looked like his end-of-the-season improvement will carry over to this season. Soriano's game has appeared like it has quantum leaped and he looks like he will definitely be one of our main pieces. Stanley seems fearless and I expect he will be a solid contributor this season too.

Why in the world do we got Pinzon guarding Duarnte, he's been eating him up all game. Get Jones on him.
Pinzon needs to work on defending the athletic big guards and wings he will see in the BE and this was a great opportunity to show him what he needs to improve on and I think he got the message. Show him this tape as motivation because if he doesn't dig in on defense he is going to be sitting on the bench with coach.

Storr and King will become much more acclimated to college ball as the season progresses and will likely see substantial playing time, especially Storr with his athleticism and ability to finish in transition at the rim. King is a young pup but he will bite though. I love his aggressiveness and craftiness on defense and he is not afraid to shoot when open.

Curbelo will contribute to this teams success. Just not a good debut. He puts a lot of pressure on himself to get the bad taste of last season out of his mouth and I think he has been pressing a bit even though these are just exhibition games.

Posh, Soriano and Jones are a solid trio. Jones is already in somewhat of a grove and that's just on raw talent, I can't wait to see what he can do once he learns the system. Posh will be 1st team BE if he keeps up his shooting streak from distance. Soriano just has me stumped. I had no idea what was coming from this guy. He has really put in the work and should be applauded as an for his off-season dedication.

Wusu's play was an aberration. Not worried about him. I thought Traore would have been ready to contribute this year but right now it doesn't seem so.

I love Stanley's energy and aggressiveness around the basket and I thought he defended well in stretches and Nyiwe looked good but he didn't seem to look for his shot that much when he was on the floor, not that we don't have plenty other willing shooters though.

The DR has many gifted basketball players. This version of the select team with Duarte is a very different team that played Kentucky.
Even had Julian Champagnie had returned and played today, Chris Duarte would have been the best player on the floor. They have excellent shooters and played well as a unit.
On the other hand, St. John's is a work in progress with many new players. Other than Posh and Soriano, we have no dependable scoring threats returning. Players like Jones and Storr will have to carry the bulk of the scoring in some games when Soriano meets his match inside and when Posh is off.
The development of Nyiwe and Stanley are critical pieces if we are to finish in the top half of the Big East. Tonight Stanley got the start that I anticipated given his motor but he has to develop his offensive game rapidly to be a bigger factor.
Others have already pointed out the defensive defects but I owe that to the team adjusting to a new coaching style.
I think the coaches can focus on teaching these young players to play to their strengths within the team concept.
Luckily we have many new players like the freshmen and transfers that have raw talent for the coaches to work with.

Back