Dingle/Ledlum court case

Why no diversity? The NCAA is not a ny citizen
St. John's is a NY school (if St. John's is named here not sure if they are) and Ledlum/Dingle are NY residents. Also they will have to provide damages exceeding $75,000 but I don't think that's the issue here. I think the issue is injunctive relief to play now and if they want to go over $75,000 they will have to prove that they lost a promised NIL or something over $75,000 if not playing this season but even that is hard because this 5th year was always in the air. I personally think Federal Question is easier threshold but I guess they did not go that route here.

I’m an antitrust class action attorney. I don’t see them in my space. The complaint was pretty bare bones.

I understand the diversity issue with the school and students residing in NY but I don't really get why they did not assert a federal claim. I mean, conceivably you would be looking at the federal laws and recent rulings in federal jurisdictions with respect to NCAA and student-athletes. I just am not seeing how a random Queens judge ruling for them gets them on the court when you have this NCAA issue. As much as I would like it to be so, I just don't see a proper path unless it eventually gets Removed to federal court.
The state antitrust statute mirrors and in some respects is better for plaintiffs than federal antitrust law. No need to rely on federal Sherman Act. Existing federal precedent re ncaa will still be cited and relied on. Nothing lost by relying on just state antitrust Donnelly Act. If they sued under federal statute, ncaa would have removed case to federal court. In federal court a tro can last only ten days, after which court must hold hearing with witnesses— akin to trial on merits. In state court, tro can last years until case reaches trial stage. Strategic and wise decision to sue in state court and rely on state antitrust law.

St. John's is a NY school (if St. John's is named here not sure if they are) and Ledlum/Dingle are NY residents. Also they will have to provide damages exceeding $75,000 but I don't think that's the issue here. I think the issue is injunctive relief to play now and if they want to go over $75,000 they will have to prove that they lost a promised NIL or something over $75,000 if not playing this season but even that is hard because this 5th year was always in the air. I personally think Federal Question is easier threshold but I guess they did not go that route here.
SJU not a party to the lawsuit.

L.S. Class of 1978: had two or three clients that had Jackson Lewis convince them to pay b.s. plaintiffs in employment cases without merit 'to buy closure' and 'avoid costs'. I call that caving, that's just me. Clients moved to a different Employment law firm and are happier.
In wage and hour cases, it costs 50-100,000 grand to defend through trial, without proper records, the employer has to prove its compliance, so burden of proof shifts, if employee wins, his recovery is automatically doubled, then employer also has to pay the plaintiff employee’s legal fees, plus 9% interest from violation, meaning as much as ten years interest- six year statute of limitations and 3-4 years to trial. There are few bs labor cases with the deck so stacked against the employer. Eliminating exposure, achieving closure, and settling cases for less than defense cost is smart lawyering. Common sense. Not caving.

No diversity. NCAA an association. It is citizen of every state in which it has a member school under federal diversity statute.

That means if they come back and no more scholies there will be 2 new recruits going back to portal
No. Give a player enough extra nil money to pay tuition. Pitino has carried more than 13 players before.

In wage and hour cases, it costs 50-100,000 grand to defend through trial, without proper records, the employer has to prove its compliance, so burden of proof shifts, if employee wins, his recovery is automatically doubled, then employer also has to pay the plaintiff employee’s legal fees, plus 9% interest from violation, meaning as much as ten years interest- six year statute of limitations and 3-4 years to trial. There are few bs labor cases with the deck so stacked against the employer. Eliminating exposure, achieving closure, and settling cases for less than defense cost is smart lawyering. Common sense. Not caving.
Run of the mill b.s. discrimination cases is what I was talking about.

Idan Tretout is going Portaling. Makes no sense. His situation is no different than Ledlum. Played at Harvard in 19-20, 21-22, 22-23 transferred to Iona to play his grad year 23-24. Did not play in 20-21 like all Ivy League. Why he thinks he has eligiblity and therefore can transfer I have no idea? But this is interesting:

To follow up here is his 4 years of playing again it skips 20-21. Again probably a Hail Mary it is interesting...

But obviously if Ledlum and Dingle were to somehow win then this would mean Tretout would be eligible.

Idan Tretout is going Portaling. Makes no sense. His situation is no different than Ledlum. Played at Harvard in 19-20, 21-22, 22-23 transferred to Iona to play his grad year 23-24. Did not play in 20-21 like all Ivy League. Why he thinks he has eligiblity and therefore can transfer I have no idea? But this is interesting:

It's Iona who cares. Probably thinks he can sneak through and nobody will notice ;)

We should move on from both guys. I think it is pretty clear we are.

Both did not play up to expectations last year. We can get much better than these 2.

Bring in the studs, Rick!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about it in these terms. If Dingle was a portal entry 3 weeks ago, conservatively he'd be a top 25-30 guy. By all accounts that a huge addition to any team in the country...let alone one that is potentially adding two of the top 5-6 guys in the portal to boot.

It's going to be as equal of a home run as those two hypothetical names we're discussing, if Dingle gets the green light ruling.

Back