Dingle/Ledlum court case

Queens County is definitely, the old 'home court advantage' play.

Jurisdictionally, I am wondering too if this case belongs in Federal Court (less of a plaintiffs' home court advantage there). It may be it is venued in Queens County to put pressure on the NCAA and to move the case as quickly as possible.

It will be interesting to watch.

These temporary 'relief' cases are generally won or lost on the first substantive hearing by the Court/Judge and many times never go any further, because that preliminary ruling is usually the "handwriting on the wall" as to who is the winner and who is the loser.
No federal claim is asserted in complaint, and there is no diversity of citizenship so no federal court jurisdiction. State court is proper and only venue.

I have mediated many cases involving Jackson Lewis. They do not cave. Tough litigators who aggressively represent their clients. Our players are well represented.
I’m an antitrust class action attorney. I don’t see them in my space. The complaint was pretty bare bones.

Sry for false alarm earlier. Judge has now ordered the motion to be submitted for may 14 at 10am. It’ll be a video conference if there’s live argument. Wonder what the plan is for recruiting until then since they’re obviously big pieces. (And decision from court may be later than that)

Sry for false alarm earlier. Judge has now ordered the motion to be submitted for may 14 at 10am. It’ll be a video conference if there’s live argument. Wonder what the plan is for recruiting until then since they’re obviously big pieces. (And decision from court may be later than that)
No need to apologize, thanks for looking it up in the first place.

Would that video conference determine a TRO?

No need to apologize, thanks for looking it up in the first place.

Would that video conference determine a TRO?
Someone that practices in this particular court would know better than me. The judge could rule on the injunction at or after a hearing. Seems like she even might just rule based on the papers since the order says requests for oral argument should be emailed to the court.

Edit:anyone that’s interested can Google nyscef and then just search one of the players names to find and follow the case

No federal claim is asserted in complaint, and there is no diversity of citizenship so no federal court jurisdiction. State court is proper and only venue.

I understand the diversity issue with the school and students residing in NY but I don't really get why they did not assert a federal claim. I mean, conceivably you would be looking at the federal laws and recent rulings in federal jurisdictions with respect to NCAA and student-athletes. I just am not seeing how a random Queens judge ruling for them gets them on the court when you have this NCAA issue. As much as I would like it to be so, I just don't see a proper path unless it eventually gets Removed to federal court.

I understand the diversity issue with the school and students residing in NY but I don't really get why they did not assert a federal claim. I mean, conceivably you would be looking at the federal laws and recent rulings in federal jurisdictions with respect to NCAA and student-athletes. I just am not seeing how a random Queens judge ruling for them gets them on the court when you have this NCAA issue. As much as I would like it to be so, I just don't see a proper path unless it eventually gets Removed to federal court.
Why no diversity? The NCAA is not a ny citizen

That means if they come back and no more scholies there will be 2 new recruits going back to portal

I have mediated many cases involving Jackson Lewis. They do not cave. Tough litigators who aggressively represent their clients. Our players are well represented.
Jackson Lewis has a good rep have worked on few roles for them in the past.
L.S. Class of 1978: had two or three clients that had Jackson Lewis convince them to pay b.s. plaintiffs in employment cases without merit 'to buy closure' and 'avoid costs'. I call that caving, that's just me. Clients moved to a different Employment law firm and are happier.

Back