Coaching Carousel

According to Kentucky Sports Radio’s Matt Jones, two donors have combined to make a $4 million donation to the Wildcats’ NIL efforts. News broke late Thursday night of Kentucky closing in on hiring Pope, the BYU head coach and former Kentucky player.

The Wildcats have yet to name him their next head coach officially, but barring something unforeseen, Pope is expected to sign a five-year deal at an average of $5.5 million annually. The $4 million NIL infusion is a crucial way to kickstart recruiting efforts.

This search was wrapped up mighty quickly. Makes me think UK may have consulted Pitino on Pope, or maybe even Pitino suggested Pope as a backup if Drew /Oats / Hurley said no.

According to Kentucky Sports Radio’s Matt Jones, two donors have combined to make a $4 million donation to the Wildcats’ NIL efforts. News broke late Thursday night of Kentucky closing in on hiring Pope, the BYU head coach and former Kentucky player.

The Wildcats have yet to name him their next head coach officially, but barring something unforeseen, Pope is expected to sign a five-year deal at an average of $5.5 million annually. The $4 million NIL infusion is a crucial way to kickstart recruiting efforts.
I am fascinated by this notion that Kentucky was lagging in their NIL set up.

That is why UK was struggling under Calipari, because he was having trouble recruiting??? LOL...

So glad Rick’s staying and didnt seem like there was ever a chance he’d go to Kentucky. But, can you imagine how Rick would kill it at Kentucky with their NIL and resources? Mark pope just got 4 million on day one. Those fans would be so happy to have him back, he’d have insane support and probably have 2 final fours in 4 years then retire.

Not exaggerating. I just listened to a live ESPN Kentucky radio show, and Pitino literally said "if Kentucky needs any more NIL money, I'll write the check."

Guy can really rub me the wrong way sometimes.

There is irony here in your comments, due to UK fans objecting to Calipari's reliance on recruiting 5* kids vs. recruiting the Portal. Pope hit it hard, thus using the opposite strategy to Calipari. W's will matter and MM success will be the only factor that anyone cares about.
The loudest comments I heard about Pope over the last 12 hours (sans those that hated the hire) is that he is the total opposite of everything they grew tired of with Calipari. Maybe it's just what they need?

Not exaggerating. I just listened to a live ESPN Kentucky radio show, and Pitino literally said "if Kentucky needs any more NIL money, I'll write the check."

Guy can really rub me the wrong way sometimes.
Believe half of what he says and he always is strategic w the mic. In this case he’s just rallying the troops to $upport his guy.

pitino clearly loved his time in Kentucky, can’t blame him for that and helping out his guy. Can’t question that pitino gives it his all at sju. Would be very cool if he gets Kentucky to the garden.

Believe half of what he says and he always is strategic w the mic. In this case he’s just rallying the troops to $upport his guy.
Yeah I get all of that. Obviously, he's not going to give them a dime or actually steer a donor to them -- that would be insane.

But, I can't shake the feeling that he doesn't feel truly part of the STJ family/fabric yet. Even his comments after the BET, it was more about "them" (meaning, us, fans + program) instead of "us".

Add to that his musings about being the unhappiest he's ever been in his life (obviously, knowing his life, extreme hyperbole), I'm a little sick of this stuff and just want to win.

Back