Coaching Carousel

Yeah I get all of that. Obviously, he's not going to give them a dime or actually steer a donor to them -- that would be insane.

But, I can't shake the feeling that he doesn't feel truly part of the STJ family/fabric yet. Even his comments after the BET, it was more about "them" (meaning, us, fans + program) instead of "us".

Add to that his musings about being the unhappiest he's ever been in his life (obviously, knowing his life, extreme hyperbole), I'm a little sick of this stuff and just want to win.
Danny Hurley said earlier this year he would write a NIL donation to Seton Hall.

Point is stop trying to read so much into this. He wants to see his assistants and ex-players do well. It is a source of pride for him as it would be for any coach of his stature.

Yeah I get all of that. Obviously, he's not going to give them a dime or actually steer a donor to them -- that would be insane.

But, I can't shake the feeling that he doesn't feel truly part of the STJ family/fabric yet. Even his comments after the BET, it was more about "them" (meaning, us, fans + program) instead of "us".

Add to that his musings about being the unhappiest he's ever been in his life (obviously, knowing his life, extreme hyperbole), I'm a little sick of this stuff and just want to win.
His ego is such that he definitely is with you, “just wanting to win”. Along the way, assuming the best and tuning out his schtick seems prudent.

Well now we get to test the theory of how strong that UK brand is. Mark Pope isn't the "sexy" hire. Yes he played for a championship team and has NBA experience, but lets see if he can land 5 star kids left and right off the strength of blue blood UK. I'm very very curious how many high high end kids end up there in the next 2 years
Already April 12, and while I haven't looked at BYU's recruiting class, I strongly suspect it's like all of their other classes and filled with kids who grew up thinking about nothing but BYU. So if Pope isn't a sexy hire, and he won't have transfers following him after Cal's kids possibly follow him, where does that leave the UK brand this season and next? It will be a mighty hard test. And I am good with that.

Who knows on this but;

Most interesting name that I’ve heard so far at Florida A&M is former Arkansas / St. John’s / Missouri / UAB head coach Mike Anderson. The veteran coach is 437-256 (.631) in 21 seasons as a D1 head coach. He was named as the NABC National Coach of the Year following Mizzou’s Elite 8 run in 2009, and captured Big East COY honors in 2021. Working on more names here.

I am fascinated by this notion that Kentucky was lagging in their NIL set up.

That is why UK was struggling under Calipari, because he was having trouble recruiting??? LOL...
The stories weren’t that they were lagging in NIL funds, it was the way it was being managed and how some additional opportunities for individual players were not conveyed to the students due to the mechanisms put in to place including having to go through Cal and Cal pushing them aside focusing on other things and not making enough time to go through them.

No joke Mike Anderson is rumored to be in the running for Florida a&m basketball for their next coach. Now bring cuerbelo with you coach and I'll watch a game or two for the fun of it lol

No joke Mike Anderson is rumored to be in the running for Florida a&m basketball for their next coach. Now bring cuerbelo with you coach and I'll watch a game or two for the fun of it lol
If he's not going to get his hands dirty in recruiting (and by all accounts, he didn't do that here), then a school like this is probably a good fit for him.

The stories weren’t that they were lagging in NIL funds, it was the way it was being managed and how some additional opportunities for individual players were not conveyed to the students due to the mechanisms put in to place including having to go through Cal and Cal pushing them aside focusing on other things and not making enough time to go through them.
I get it but either way the guy was landing top 10 kids left and right.

The whole point of having a good NIL set up was to get and keep the best kids. NIL or not one thing Cal was having little trouble with was getting talent.

Let's see if he botches getting the school name right in his introductory press conference.

I absolutely do not understand why some here are bothered by this video. I think it’s classy and perfectly appropriate for a coach rooting for one of his pupils after he landed his dream job
I don’t see anything wrong with it either and I think on the surface most people don’t. I think what rubs some the wrong way is when he said he’d open his own checkbook to contribute to UK’s NIL if they needed it. I could see people being slightly annoyed at that but I just take that for Rick’s typical shtick

Back