Coaching Carousel

I must say I never understood the disdain by many on this board for James Jones. He's been an excellent Ivy League coach, and to think that he cannot move up successfully seems overly simplistic. During our clown show coaching search after Mullin left, there was talk of him being a potential fallback option at one point. I certainly liked him a lot better than some of the other folks being talked about at that time - Ryan Odom, Paul Hewitt, etc. To be fair, I was glad Anderson was the choice at that time, but I don't think Jones would have been a bad choice. He's a better fit for PC than for us, given his New England ties.

I must say I never understood the disdain by many on this board for James Jones. He's been an excellent Ivy League coach, and to think that he cannot move up successfully seems overly simplistic. During our clown show coaching search after Mullin left, there was talk of him being a potential fallback option at one point. I certainly liked him a lot better than some of the other folks being talked about at that time - Ryan Odom, Paul Hewitt, etc. To be fair, I was glad Anderson was the choice at that time, but I don't think Jones would have been a bad choice. He's a better fit for PC than for us, given his New England ties.
I don't disagree that he would be a good fit at PC because of his New England ties
But he grew up on Long Island and would have also been a very good fit at St John's

Aside from Fran Dunphy who built a powerhouse at Penn and left for Temple, what other Ivy League coach has jumped to a big school and succeeded?

It depends - do you consider JT3 a success? Went to a Final Four and made the Dance a ton, but it ended badly. Kyle Smith looks to be doing well so far.

Interesting comments at the end of the panel discussion. Love it.
Yep, good for the conference for G'town and St. John's to be good again. I think the "fresh start" Cooley, et al. all allude to is the "adoration" Cooley mentioned that they feel at the beginning of taking over a new program. Pitino will certainly love being on the pages of the post and on talk radio in the coming off season for sure.

It depends - do you consider JT3 a success? Went to a Final Four and made the Dance a ton, but it ended badly. Kyle Smith looks to be doing well so far.
Good point on JT3. I had forgotten about him. And yes, his tenure was a success. We'd build a statue to any coach who got SJU back to the FF.

Good point on JT3. I had forgotten about him. And yes, his tenure was a success. We'd build a statue to any coach who got SJU back to the FF.
Hell it took so long to get the Louie statue up. Not sure 🤔 about using that as our example. 😂

Cooley gonna bring his PC recruits over to GT? Remember last week how it would be shady to recruit GT players as coach of PC.

Could PC file some kind if suit against him if he does?

Back