Caitlin Clark

Too hot a subject to rationally discuss from any side. What's clear is that more than likely, pretty soon the fan interest generated will be killed and the wnba can go back to obscurity.
Would be interested to hear why you think this?

I have never seen more excitement for the WNBA than I have this year. And there are things they can improve upon. Like why are their playoff games and WNBA finals games being played on Sundays? That needs to be fixed for next season. Play these games on nights where this is no football. Or better yet, since ESPN has the rights, schedule games for 6PM on Mondays so people can check it out before Monday Night Football. Anything would be better than trying to go directly against a full slate of NFL games.

The NFL will always be king and squash anything that is going against it. Just ask the NBA, who used to consider themselves the owners of Christmas Day sports. They have had their chain snatched in the past couple of years by the NFL and they aren't getting it back.

If the WNBA can shift their schedule around, I see the game only trending upward. They have a good set up where we get to see college stars actually develop over the course of 4 years before entering the league, unlike the NBA now. Even with Clark and Reese being huge this year, we have Bueckers and Juju Watkins coming up behind them, with room for more stars as well.

I'll also add that sports betting on phone is so widespread now, a lot of sports fans are taking to WNBA for that reason as well. It is another thing to bet on and watch. Just feels like the league is approaching a golden era and I am happy for them.

1728506024973.png
Amazing graphic to see to get a sense of how popular Clark is. Don't think it's a one year thing, but curious to see what the ratings are next year for women's college basketball.

Back