Caitlin Clark

Will never happen due to $, but with guys like Webanyana, Edey, Clingan and really so many other tall players even shorter than 7', I'd be all for higher rims, bigger courts and increased basketball size for men in college or pro's.

Watching Clark's skill is way more enjoyable than a guy who can put ball in rim without barely getting off floor.

The hypocrisy of fans never ceases to amaze me! So my argument on the call last night was not whether it was a foul, by the letter of the rule, it certainly was. My argument was under the circumstances of the way the game was reffed and the game circumstance it should not have been called.
So I am going to compare it to one of the other “worst” calls in my rooting experience, the Singleton tech against Duke. That has been bandied about and complained about and chastised forever here and wherever Johnnies fans gather. But using the logic so many are using for last nights call being correct, so was the Singleton call. He bounced the ball in anger over a refs call, showing the ref up and that is clearly against the rules. He clearly broke the rules so by the logic applied it was absolutely a righteous and correct call, period, end of story.
Interested in counter arguments because I guarantee had that been St John’s that call went against, and not hated UConn, all of you would be singing a much different tune.
Logen…I think it was a foul but can understand viewpoints that the “timing“ was an issue…as to the “way the game was reffed”, not sure whether I agree or not (honestly I’d have to re-watch) but I can say that I would bet that the comments re: Caitlin’s “greatness” in the absence of a championship is every bit as significant and probably more so, than the hatred for UCONN - as a reason why many ”liked” the call.

University of Iowa is a great academic school. It's campus dominates Iowa City and being a state school is the school of choice for very bright Iowans. The city, if you can call it that is not surprisingly, liberal with thousands of university professors, administrators, and support staff nearby. It may be the only liberal town in a very red state. I loved the people I got to know there. When i won a big ( for us) contract at Mercy Hospital there a sales rep from Cerner whose dad was a highly respected pharmacistv at u of iowa tried to go above the c-suite exacs who chose us and went to his dad's board contacts. The nuns who ran mercy were outraged and they threw him out. It didn't hurtbthat I was a Catholic guy from St John's.
Caitlin Clark is from Cedar Rapids, which is right next door to Iowa City. Their team is very local from what I understand. If any of those kids were born at Mercy, likely orders were filled using my company's software. I think that's very cool, at least the idea of it. Those people in Iowa City took a chance on me, so that's good enough for me to root likely crazy for these very good people, their players and fans.

Sometimes sports bisects life. It's nice when that happens

Last edited:
Logen…I think it was a foul but can understand viewpoints that the “timing“ was an issue…as to the “way the game was reffed”, not sure whether I agree or not (honestly I’d have to re-watch) but I can say that I would bet that the comments re: Caitlin’s “greatness” in the absence of a championship is every bit as significant and probably more so, than the hatred for UCONN - as a reason why many ”liked” the call.
Don’t understand the connection at all, and no sarcasm intended, you may be right. But Anyone who equates a players greatness with championships is not worth worrying about IMO. Ernie Banks wasn’t great? In hoops, if Oscar hadn’t won late in his career he wouldn’t have been great?

Don’t understand the connection at all, and no sarcasm intended, you may be right. But Anyone who equates a players greatness with championships is not worth worrying about IMO. Ernie Banks wasn’t great? In hoops, if Oscar hadn’t won late in his career he wouldn’t have been great?
Agree 1000%…Unfortunately, there was a lot of talk (not just Jay Williams) that qualified Caitlin‘s greatness and I think a lot of it has to do with her not being “in the club”…For me, it makes me root harder for her and Iowa…

That truly one of the worst calls ever
Yeah tough call, none of the 3 refs were from the east. He did curse him out. Our bench gave us nothing that game. Aiken, Muto, Sprolling . Our kids were gassed with 8 minutes to go as we had to go with the starting five. I do remember we took the team to a great steakhouse in Buckhead for dinner the night before. Rated 5 stars maxed out my school Amex card that night. School was not happy when I got back!

One of the good things about playing Duke so many times during those years was I developed a nice friendship with Coach K and he was my “godfather” along with PJ Carlisimo as they both selected me for USA Basketball assignments with the top USA Select teams from 1989 through 1993 and traveled all over Europe 3 times as well as being asked to be the trainer of the team that practiced against the Dream Team before the 92 Olympics. PJ said I was supposed to be the Olympic basketball trainer in 92 if FIBA didn’t take the pro’s. He, George Raveling and Roy Williams were going to be the Olympic staff with me. That signed Dream Team ball from the Olympics was sent to me after as a thank you!

!IMG_6188.jpegIMG_0144_Original.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t think there is “ hatred ,” for UCONN’s Women BB team . As for the call , a lot of people who criticized the call last night hsve changed their minds today as more Video has been available . Edwards not only was guilty of a moving screen , she also threw a shoulder into Marshall . Kind of like a WR trying to block a CB on the edge .

Timing ? A foul is a foul in the first minute as well as the last minute . It’s BB , not a game where timing should be a factor .

Edwards plays a rough game to begin with and she got away with a lot of fouls where she pushed or hacked Stuelze . She could have had 10 fouls in the first half alone .

Clark had a great game feeding her teammates and leading them back from a 12 point early deficit .
Many complimented Muhl for her great defense on her . That is , if you consider holding , grabbing bumping to be great Defense . Muhl could have had 10 fouls as well .

That’s what I saw last night .

Will never happen due to $, but with guys like Webanyana, Edey, Clingan and really so many other tall players even shorter than 7', I'd be all for higher rims, bigger courts and increased basketball size for men in college or pro's.

Watching Clark's skill is way more enjoyable than a guy who can put ball in rim without barely getting off floor.
I must say I enjoyed watching the game last night and agree that women's hoops has come a long way. But I'd still way prefer to watch men's hoops as the skill level is really not close. I played hoops constantly (admittedly not all that well) from the time I was 10 to the time I was 30 plus and just love watching guys do things I would have liked to be able to do but physical limitations prevented. In my best dreams on a Friday night, I am still reverse dunking lol!

The aspect of Clarks game that separates her from the many other very good guards from the better teams in woman’s college hoops is her shooting range. It’s what’s created her following. Paige B. Is just as efficient in every other aspect of the game except that range. Clark is an exceptional female hooos player.

That being said, yesterday’s game between UConn and Iowa was anything but a classic. Clark herself made many poor passes that led to turnovers and miscues and missed every three point shot she took. In terms of how she would do against a male, if she coundnt make shots anga another female, what chance would she have of scoring against any male player with minimal athleticism?

The aspect of Clarks game that separates her from the many other very good guards from the better teams in woman’s college hoops is her shooting range. It’s what’s created her following. Paige B. Is just as efficient in every other aspect of the game except that range. Clark is an exceptional female hooos player.

That being said, yesterday’s game between UConn and Iowa was anything but a classic. Clark herself made many poor passes that led to turnovers and miscues and missed every three point shot she took. In terms of how she would do against a male, if she coundnt make shots anga another female, what chance would she have of scoring against any male player with minimal athleticism?
Clark made 3 threes.

Agree 1000%…Unfortunately, there was a lot of talk (not just Jay Williams) that qualified Caitlin‘s greatness and I think a lot of it has to do with her not being “in the club”…For me, it makes me root harder for her and Iowa…
Understood, I have made it plain if you have read my posts, I don’t listen to nor care at all what Jay Williams or any other talking head says about anything. I root based on my own opinions and observations not someone else’s and I root for UConn women in WBB. The call pissed me off but Iowa beat them fair and square, no one play or call decides a game. They and Clark took it to them to start the 4th qtr, UConn came back led by Muhl and fell short. Clark is a great, great player and the only argument one can have about that is where she stands in the pantheon of great players.

For all those who couldn’t care less, an example of why I root for UConn women, besides, as I have shared before, I was friendly with Chris Dailey when she was an assistant at Rutgers.
Anyway, while rankings mean nothing to me, a very highly rated, highly recruited by ALL the biggies, player, Sarah Strong, declared for UConn yesterday. Her mom, Alisond Feaster, is generally considered the greatest player to come out of the Ivies, played almost a decade on the WNBA, and is currently a VP for the Celtics. Her dad, Derek I think is his name, was a good player for NC State and played in Europe. Also has formed a community outreach organization that my understanding is, does phenomenal work in NC.
When asked yesterday why she chose UConn, she said she pretty much decided early (sophomore year I believe) because all the other schools gushed about how great she was while Auruemma and staff shared with her what they thought she needed to work on to improve to realize her full potential.
She waited so long to declare because she waited until Muhl and Edward’s announced their turning down their “Covid” year. I believe all involved knew that was going to happen.

Last edited:
For all those who couldn’t care less, an example of why I root for UConn women, besides, as I have shared before, I was friendly with Chris Dailey when she was an assistant at Rutgers.
Anyway, while rankings mean nothing to me, a very highly rated, highly recruited by ALL the biggies, player, Sarah Strong, declared for UConn yesterday. Her mom, Alisond Feaster, is generally considered the greatest player to come out of the Ivies, played almost a decade on the WNBA, and is currently a VP for the Celtics. Her dad, Derek I think is his name, was a good player for NC State and played in Europe. Also has formed a community outreach organization that my understanding is, does phenomenal work in NC.
When asked yesterday why she chose UConn, she said she pretty much decided early (sophomore year I believe) because all the other schools gushed about how great she was while Auruemma and staff shared with her what they thought she needed to work on to improve to realize her full potential.
She waited so long to declare because she waited until Muhl and Edward’s announced their turning down their “Covid” year. I believe all involved knew that was going to happen.

Allison Feaster is one of the best female basketball players to ever lace 'em up in South Carolina. The Pride of Chester (SC).

Back