Caitlin Clark

To answer the question posed, absolutely nothing, two entirely different players. A stretch comparison to a degree but kind of like comparing Pete Maravich and Walt Frazier, apples and oranges.

I haven't watched a woman's game since my daughter graduated high school. I don't remember it being this tough to watch. This is brutal.

I haven't watched a woman's game since my daughter graduated high school. I don't remember it being this tough to watch. This is brutal.
It is brutal but ESPN will continue to shove it down your throat. Nice to see they have done tremendous ratings because of CC, but she will go off to the subsidized WNBA tomorrow and be completely forgotten. Oh well!

Actually turned out to be an exciting game......despite the fact that no one was wearing bikinis. The one constant in both men's and women's BB is that the refs suck.
A lot to ponder from this game besides the last call; four moving screen calls in the game, all against UConn. 18 to 9 in fouls in favor of Iowa; a more egregious foul call against UConn on a drive where clearly both UConn players subtly back off as the driver splits them, no contact, but a foul called by a ref standing right in front of the play. Clarks 4 point play in which she moves forward to flop into the UConn player well AFTER the ball is released.
This is offered only as bar talk (which is what it was), but I watched the Marquette / NC State men’s game with some pops and 5 longtime bball buddies, 2 of them lifetime coaches. About 6 or 7 minutes in, not sure exactly, but early in the game, one of them offered that “the fix was in” went and placed a bet that Marquette would lose although what the bet was exactly I don’t know. I don’t bet at all so not at all sure how you bet once a game starts but I know it can be done
Anyway, his reasoning was that he was sure Marquette was throwing the game because they were just jacking and missing 3’s and not missing long or short but left and right, which good shooters don’t do. He guaranteed Marquette would wind up with unbelievably bad shooting stats because in his opinion, that was the only way they could lose. Well, at the end they were 4-31 from 3, 14-23 from the line.
Off night, maybe, but the bottom line in his opinion was that with the NIL money floating around the game now, openly from outside the schools/NCAA revenue streams, coupled with the proliferation of legalized betting and the natural jealousy arising from players who feel they aren’t getting “their share”, that the certainty of games being fixed was just inevitable. In his words, “hell, the fix was in already before a game was even played with money being funneled to big conferences by the selection process”.
Not sure if he is right but he was sure on the money (pun intended) that night about the way that game was going to go. FWIW……..

I go on the UConn WBB Boneyard forum and a gambling perspective on there. Spread was 2.5 and Clarks miss on the last free throw meant Iowa did not cover, so a bummed but a little richer UConn fan base, a happy but poorer Iowa one, 🤪

My last perspective on “the call”, you can call a foul, a violation, etc. on virtually every play in basketball, like you could call holding on every play in football. A referee has to apply some digression and common sense.
This idea of examining the play in slow motion from 67 angles is just silly, it was not remotely egregious and had no business being whistled, absolutely no business.
Ruined what was not a great game aesthetically, but certainly a great game competitively. And the proof is no one is talking about the job Muhl did on Clark, or Clark stepping up in the 4th, or Bueckers again playing passively in the FF, or Auriemma’s horribly over coached last play call; it is “the call” and WBB blows another shot at “getting it right”.

Gabby Marshall is an absolutely tenacious defender. The call aside, she is an unsung difference maker.

I thought the game, especially the 2nd half, was very good.
It's probably better for women's bball that Iowa won. Clark generates such incredible interest that nationally the TV audience will be better with Iowa in the finals. Paige Buecker is a great player too and UCONN- Iowa was a great matchup. I've spent a lot of time in Iowa city with Mercy Hospital a former client. So I have a rooting interest there.

It's probably better for women's bball that Iowa won. Clark generates such incredible interest that nationally the TV audience will be better with Iowa in the finals. Paige Buecker is a great player too and UCONN- Iowa was a great matchup. I've spent a lot of time in Iowa city with Mercy Hospital a former client. So I have a rooting interest there.
I have been watching W College BB most of the season .
A few opinions . First , there should be no doubt the foul call on Edwards was the correct call . She clearly was moving and did throw her shoulder into Marshall .

The knee jerk reaction from that ESPN Jerk , Scott Van Pelt was consistent with his usual incompetence .

Edwards was abusing Stulke all night and could have had 10 fouls called against her . She plays a physical game , like Cardosa on SCarolina and since they both, foul on almost every play , the Refs could have them out of the game in 10 minutes . But ,they don’t .

Second , for the discrepancy in foul calls , UCONN plays a very rough game and were mauling Iowa all game .
Yes, Muhl played Clark well, if you call holding , grabbing , slapping , pushing good defense .

Buecker is a very good player but , I thought they didn’t go to her enough down the stretch . She’s not Clark though . Few are .

I thought the Call should be made as it was , regardless if it’s the first play of the game or last .

If you notice on the Replay , the Ref who made the call was right there to get a clear view . And , there was no hesitation in making the call as soon as it happened .

Rather than being vilified , the Ref should be applauded as the right one . And , gutsy on his part .
None of the other officials came running over to consult that I could see .

I think WBB has gotten way too physical and the rules of BB on fouling hsve gone out the window . We are seeing bigger and bigger girls playing and they are allowing way too much to go uncalled .
As a matter of fact , a case could have been made that Edwards foul was borderline flagrant . She was still moving and did throw a elbow .

I have been watching W College BB most of the season .
A few opinions . First , there should be no doubt the foul call on Edwards was the correct call . She clearly was moving and did throw her shoulder into Marshall .

The knee jerk reaction from that ESPN Jerk , Scott Van Pelt was consistent with his usual incompetence .

Edwards was abusing Stulke all night and could have had 10 fouls called against her . She plays a physical game , like Cardosa on SCarolina and since they both, foul on almost every play , the Refs could have them out of the game in 10 minutes . But ,they don’t .

Second , for the discrepancy in foul calls , UCONN plays a very rough game and were mauling Iowa all game .
Yes, Muhl played Clark well, if you call holding , grabbing , slapping , pushing good defense .

Buecker is a very good player but , I thought they didn’t go to her enough down the stretch . She’s not Clark though . Few are .

I thought the Call should be made as it was , regardless if it’s the first play of the game or last .

If you notice on the Replay , the Ref who made the call was right there to get a clear view . And , there was no hesitation in making the call as soon as it happened .

Rather than being vilified , the Ref should be applauded as the right one . And , gutsy on his part .
None of the other officials came running over to consult that I could see .

I think WBB has gotten way too physical and the rules of BB on fouling hsve gone out the window . We are seeing bigger and bigger girls playing and they are allowing way too much to go uncalled .
As a matter of fact , a case could have been made that Edwards foul was borderline flagrant . She was still moving and did throw a elbow .
Sorry , it was a shoulder . She threw that would rival a NFL WR trying to block a CB .

Seen a zillion girls play from grade school through college.

Some bigs are great athletes but few could compete physically with men.

Watching Clark play, her range and passing and my gosh, at the very least would be a hs stsr agInst men, and maybe even college too.
Comparing women to men is just as silly as saying college teams could compete with pro teams. One of my best friends and another friend were on the guys squad that practiced against the UConn women during their insane run.

They would drink at the bar until 2 am and then scrimmage the
National champion women at 10 am and win by 10. My closer friend was 6’4 but nowhere near good enough to make our high school team and he would get a double-double like clockwork against them every time. The other was also 6’4, did play high school, and he looked like a star against them. They had no coach, did no training, weren’t even the best 10 basketball non-scholarship players on campus, and they won 9/10 games when they had a full squad.

For perspective a boys UNDER 15 Dallas area soccer team beat the US Women’s Olympic Soccer team 5-2.

Comparing women to men is just as silly as saying college teams could compete with pro teams. One of my best friends and another friend were on the guys squad that practiced against the UConn women during their insane run.

National champion women at 10 am and win by 10. My closer friend was 6’4 but nowhere near good enough to make our high school team and he would get a double-double like clockwork against them every time. The other was also 6’4, did play high school, and he looked like a star against them. They had no coach, did no training, weren’t even the best 10 basketball non-scholarship players on campus, and they won 9/10 games when they had a full squad.

For perspective a boys UNDER 15 Dallas area soccer team beat the US Women’s Olympic Soccer team 5-2.
Without taking sides , how does this square with today’s competition with Boys/ Men competing in Women’s events ?

I agree insofar as height and strength dominated positions. Guards are different IMO. Lots of slow, unathletic guards who don't shoot or pass nearly as well as Clark, and few have her range.

Comparisons in strength and speed dominated individual sports don't apply. Of course Serena Williams dis not possess the power and speed of professional men's players. But i bet she'd smoke a lot of D2 or D3 college players in her prime.

It's a fun argument but lots of people gave Billie Jean King no chance against a 55 year old Bobby Riggs.

Charles Barkley once chidec his NBA peers for looking down on Euro plodders who could neither run nor jump as well as American Nba players. His response applies here: "Basketball is a game that rewards many talents." Great shooting, passing, court vision and feel for game matter. Women are already better foul shooters than men in college. 45% of Clark's 3 point attempts are beyond 26 feet and she makes close to 50% of those. You can't tell me a D2 or D3 team couldn't run a few plays that would spring her wide open from 3 and Clark be unable to make them.

Without taking sides , how does this square with today’s competition with Boys/ Men competing in Women’s events ?
Anecdotally, I can say this as someone with a twin sister…I am from a track family. Older sister qualified for nationals, little sister did too and then went on to lead her soccer conference in goals all 4 years of college, and my twin sister was 10x better of an athlete than both but had a horrific car accident after placing in the NYS Federations in 100, 200, and long jump as a soph and never played sports again. She had dozens of offers already for soccer at that point. They all worked very hard and our track coaches love them to this day.

I ate pizza almost exclusively, rarely showed up to track practice, hid from my coaches so I didn’t have to do events other than pole vault, never qualified for states…and I crushed them in every event as a slightly above average 1st heat class AA sprinter…weighing 215 lbs. And I mean CRUSHED. Even in soccer, which I stopped playing in 7th grade, I would dominate them.

The poster Mike on here had times that would have crushed me and I would have won the girls federations 8-12 grade with my times.

As Junior Soprano would say Marillac never had the makings of a varsity [track] athlete.

Back