Caitlin Clark

I have been watching W College BB most of the season .
A few opinions . First , there should be no doubt the foul call on Edwards was the correct call . She clearly was moving and did throw her shoulder into Marshall .

The knee jerk reaction from that ESPN Jerk , Scott Van Pelt was consistent with his usual incompetence .

Edwards was abusing Stulke all night and could have had 10 fouls called against her . She plays a physical game , like Cardosa on SCarolina and since they both, foul on almost every play , the Refs could have them out of the game in 10 minutes . But ,they don’t .

Second , for the discrepancy in foul calls , UCONN plays a very rough game and were mauling Iowa all game .
Yes, Muhl played Clark well, if you call holding , grabbing , slapping , pushing good defense .

Buecker is a very good player but , I thought they didn’t go to her enough down the stretch . She’s not Clark though . Few are .

I thought the Call should be made as it was , regardless if it’s the first play of the game or last .

If you notice on the Replay , the Ref who made the call was right there to get a clear view . And , there was no hesitation in making the call as soon as it happened .

Rather than being vilified , the Ref should be applauded as the right one . And , gutsy on his part .
None of the other officials came running over to consult that I could see .

I think WBB has gotten way too physical and the rules of BB on fouling hsve gone out the window . We are seeing bigger and bigger girls playing and they are allowing way too much to go uncalled .
As a matter of fact , a case could have been made that Edwards foul was borderline flagrant . She was still moving and did throw an elbow .
I only want to point out that this is the first time I think I’ve ever heard/read a negative opinion on Scott Van Pelt

I only want to point out that this is the first time I think I’ve ever heard/read a negative opinion on Scott Van Pelt
Did you hear him last night , a few minutes after the game ?

Obviously a UCONN Homer as ESPN studio is in Bristol, Ct .

He couldn’t wait to. jump all over the call and wail about how terrible the call was .
He then flummoxed his Colleague by starting the conversation with “ wasn’t that a terrible call against UCONN? “.
Never gave her a chance to rebut or give her own opinion .

As many have said this morning. , a further review shows the Call to be the correct one and Edwards clearly is still moving , throws a shoulder into Marshall like a WR on a CB .
The Ref who made the call was right there , only a few feet from the players . He made a good call .
Regardless of the time of the game . First minute or last second . A foul is a foul .

Think Van Pelt will issue a retraction or admit his mistake ?
Nah , he won’t .

Interesting that no one mentioned the first game. Watched most of second half and came away extremely impressed with South Carolina. They can do it all and are tough on the boards. Cardoso is big time center. Also SC goes nine deep while Iowa went with the starters all game except for 7 minutes off the bench. Could be a factor in final tomorrow.

Also while some would say throwing inbound pass off opponent was helpful in running clock down, I thought Clark could have shown more class with 2 seconds to go and not embarassed Paige by throwing off her butt.

I agree insofar as height and strength dominated positions. Guards are different IMO. Lots of slow, unathletic guards who don't shoot or pass nearly as well as Clark, and few have her range.

Comparisons in strength and speed dominated individual sports don't apply. Of course Serena Williams dis not possess the power and speed of professional men's players. But i bet she'd smoke a lot of D2 or D3 college players in her prime.

It's a fun argument but lots of people gave Billie Jean King no chance against a 55 year old Bobby Riggs.

Charles Barkley once chidec his NBA peers for looking down on Euro plodders who could neither run nor jump as well as American Nba players. His response applies here: "Basketball is a game that rewards many talents." Great shooting, passing, court vision and feel for game matter. Women are already better foul shooters than men in college. 45% of Clark's 3 point attempts are beyond 26 feet and she makes close to 50% of those. You can't tell me a D2 or D3 team couldn't run a few plays that would spring her wide open from 3 and Clark be unable to make them.
Serena is a genetic anomaly and even she admits that she wouldn’t play any ranked male in a serious match or she would “lose 6-0, 6-0 in about 5 minutes.”

Caitlin Clark couldn’t play on any competitive male college roster D1, D2, D3, JUCO, or NAIA. And that’s fine. It doesn’t take away from her greatness in women’s basketball or take away from what she’s done. M

I’m sure there are hundreds of male college basketball players she could beat in a strictly shooting competition by removing the physical talent differential and keeping it completely skill based.

Anecdotally, I can say this as someone with a twin sister…I am from a track family. Older sister qualified for nationals, little sister did too and then went on to lead her soccer conference in goals all 4 years of college, and my twin sister was 10x better of an athlete than both but had a horrific car accident after placing in the NYS Federations in 100, 200, and long jump as a soph and never played sports again. She had dozens of offers already for soccer at that point. They all worked very hard and our track coaches love them to this day.

I ate pizza almost exclusively, rarely showed up to track practice, hid from my coaches so I didn’t have to do events other than pole vault, never qualified for states…and I crushed them in every event as a slightly above average 1st heat class AA sprinter…weighing 215 lbs. And I mean CRUSHED. Even in soccer, which I stopped playing in 7th grade, I would dominate them.

The poster Mike on here had times that would have crushed me and I would have won the girls federations 8-12 grade with my times.

As Junior Soprano would say Marillac never had the makings of a varsity [track] athlete.
Read carefully. Men are superior in strength and speed. But many peo players are relatively slow duch as our hometown guy and are still great players.

Serena is a genetic anomaly and even she admits that she wouldn’t play any ranked male in a serious match or she would “lose 6-0, 6-0 in about 5 minutes.”

Caitlin Clark couldn’t play on any competitive male college roster D1, D2, D3, JUCO, or NAIA. And that’s fine. It doesn’t take away from her greatness in women’s basketball or take away from what she’s done. M

I’m sure there are hundreds of male college basketball players she could beat in a strictly shooting competition by removing the physical talent differential and keeping it completely skill based.
I really dont think you can or tryvto read.

Inworked two us open tennis tournaments. No way could any woman compete with a male pro. Once a top 50 player told me the difference in plysocal talent among the top 50 is negligible and the best players have a mental edge.

Men are bigger, faster stronger. That is why almost 50 years ago it was feared that transsexual Renee Richards even at almost 50 would dominate women's tennis.

What i did say is that Serena with her skill plus size and strength and speed for a woman would beat many varsity collegiate tennis players who do not have pro potential.

I'll hold my opinion and respect the right to yours

I agree with marillac that she’s got really no chance to compete against male athletes with any bball ability. But worth asking what ball are we using? Would she have as incredible range with the heavier ball? Likewise, what type of range would men have with the lighter ball?

Athleticism is all relative on TV. Dunlap is often noted as a sub par athlete. And compared to what he’s up against, he generally is. Could you imagine what his athleticism would look like in the NCAAW FF?

from a strictly capitalist and cynical point of view they could have been giving Iowa the benefit to get them to the final. This is not to say it was not a foul but if ct was the bigger story it could have been ignored( much like the big east teams) So much money in sports now you have to wonder. After the phantom call on the Jets in the swifty game (KC was not going to lose with her in the stands) you start to lose faith in honest competition.

As an aside not many people in the bb establishment seem to like CC. She gets pounded and beaten up every game I have watched (readily apparent against LSU and CT) The old term if you cant beat them beat them comes to mind.

I agree with marillac that she’s got really no chance to compete against male athletes with any bball ability. But worth asking what ball are we using? Would she have as incredible range with the heavier ball? Likewise, what type of range would men have with the lighter ball?

Athleticism is all relative on TV. Dunlap is often noted as a sub par athlete. And compared to what he’s up against, he generally is. Could you imagine what his athleticism would look like in the NCAAW FF?
Have you ever watched crappy d2 or d3 basketball? Or crappy hs basketball? Some d2 and d3 players didn't ir barely made their hs teams. The womens ball is smaller but not noticeably heavier. It was designed becuase overall women's hands are smaller, more at the hs level overall than college where guards can be 6 feet tall thoguh some as small as 5'6 or so at the d1 level

Dose it really matter if the best woman college bb player is better than the 500 man? This is why title 9 was established so woman would have opportunity to compete on the collegiate level and not be shut out with all the funds going to the mens teams, If there were just unisex teams very few women could make the teams in most sports.

Not just the small size and weight of the ball as far as the physical act of shooting the ball but that it fits inside the rim much easier more shots will fall.

Have you ever watched crappy d2 or d3 basketball? Or crappy hs basketball? Some d2 and d3 players didn't ir barely made their hs teams. The womens ball is smaller but not noticeably heavier. It was designed becuase overall women's hands are smaller, more at the hs level overall than college where guards can be 6 feet tall thoguh some as small as 5'6 or so at the d1 level
Plenty of it Beast. Some d2 players didn’t what? I’m not sure what you mean.

The women’s ball is lighter, not heavier. It is the same ball men stop using in 7Th grade.

Anecdotally, I can say this as someone with a twin sister…I am from a track family. Older sister qualified for nationals, little sister did too and then went on to lead her soccer conference in goals all 4 years of college, and my twin sister was 10x better of an athlete than both but had a horrific car accident after placing in the NYS Federations in 100, 200, and long jump as a soph and never played sports again. She had dozens of offers already for soccer at that point. They all worked very hard and our track coaches love them to this day.

I ate pizza almost exclusively, rarely showed up to track practice, hid from my coaches so I didn’t have to do events other than pole vault, never qualified for states…and I crushed them in every event as a slightly above average 1st heat class AA sprinter…weighing 215 lbs. And I mean CRUSHED. Even in soccer, which I stopped playing in 7th grade, I would dominate them.

The poster Mike on here had times that would have crushed me and I would have won the girls federations 8-12 grade with my times.

As Junior Soprano would say Marillac never had the makings of a varsity [track] athlete.
This post has so many nuggets of info that make you wonder

Marillac with 3 sisters wtf was that house like ?

Is Twin Sister Marillac as batshit crazy as Marillac or is she the rational quiet opposite ?

Marillac eating pizza hiding in a closet off the locker room hiding from coaches I can picture

A hungover Marillac drinking till dawn then pole vaulting wtf did that look like ?

Plenty of it Beast. Some d2 players didn’t what? I’m not sure what you mean.

The women’s ball is lighter, not heavier. It is the same ball men stop using in 7Th grade.
A women's basketball is 18 to 19 oz. A men's basketball is 20 to 22 oz. The youth ball that you mentioned for middle schoolers is 16 to 17 oz. The difference in weight that you reference between men's and women's is from 1-4 ounces.

Men's basketball 29.5" in circumference, women 28.5". In diameter men's ball is about 1/4 larger (about 9.50 max vs. 9.25 for women) Rim is 18 inches in diameter.

I guess up to you to decide if it's a dramatic difference. If you use strength as an indicator, 7 foot centers would shoot from 40 feet with more accuracy than a 6 foot 170 guard.

Sorry. Am babysitting. A lot of d2 players either didn't make a competitive hs team or barely played. I know a kid who didn't sniff the field at Chaminade in 4 years who not only made his d2 team in ohio but started 4 years and amassed a fair amountnof goals and assists. The talent dropoff is considerable high D1 to mid major to D2 to d3 to naia njcaa1, 2, and 3.

Last edited:
I have been watching W College BB most of the season .
A few opinions . First , there should be no doubt the foul call on Edwards was the correct call . She clearly was moving and did throw her shoulder into Marshall .

The knee jerk reaction from that ESPN Jerk , Scott Van Pelt was consistent with his usual incompetence .

Edwards was abusing Stulke all night and could have had 10 fouls called against her . She plays a physical game , like Cardosa on SCarolina and since they both, foul on almost every play , the Refs could have them out of the game in 10 minutes . But ,they don’t .

Second , for the discrepancy in foul calls , UCONN plays a very rough game and were mauling Iowa all game .
Yes, Muhl played Clark well, if you call holding , grabbing , slapping , pushing good defense .

Buecker is a very good player but , I thought they didn’t go to her enough down the stretch . She’s not Clark though . Few are .

I thought the Call should be made as it was , regardless if it’s the first play of the game or last .

If you notice on the Replay , the Ref who made the call was right there to get a clear view . And , there was no hesitation in making the call as soon as it happened .

Rather than being vilified , the Ref should be applauded as the right one . And , gutsy on his part .
None of the other officials came running over to consult that I could see .

I think WBB has gotten way too physical and the rules of BB on fouling hsve gone out the window . We are seeing bigger and bigger girls playing and they are allowing way too much to go uncalled .
As a matter of fact , a case could have been made that Edwards foul was borderline flagrant . She was still moving and did throw an elbow .
Spot on…the elbow was high and Justifiably it was called.

A women's basketball is 18 to 19 oz. A men's basketball is 20 to 22 oz. The youth ball that you mentioned for middle schoolers is 16 to 17 oz. The difference in weight that you reference between men's and women's is from 1-4 ounces.

Sorry. Am babysitting. A lot of d2 players either didn't make a competitive hs team or barely played. I know a kid who didn't sniff the field at Chaminade in 4 years who not only made his d2 team in ohio but started 4 years and amassed a fair amountnof goals and assists. The talent dropoff is considerable high D1 to mid major to D2 to d3 to naia njcaa1, 2, and 3.
28.5 is the size of the ball 6Th grade boys use and the size of the ball NCAAW use.

Your d2 d3 point. Honestly, not being argumentative. I’m not sure how that is a case for Clark or other women being able to compete with men. Those guys who, against d1 men would look slow and in athletic, would be able to get by the top women in d1. They would look like supreme athletes.

The hypocrisy of fans never ceases to amaze me! So my argument on the call last night was not whether it was a foul, by the letter of the rule, it certainly was. My argument was under the circumstances of the way the game was reffed and the game circumstance it should not have been called.
So I am going to compare it to one of the other “worst” calls in my rooting experience, the Singleton tech against Duke. That has been bandied about and complained about and chastised forever here and wherever Johnnies fans gather. But using the logic so many are using for last nights call being correct, so was the Singleton call. He bounced the ball in anger over a refs call, showing the ref up and that is clearly against the rules. He clearly broke the rules so by the logic applied it was absolutely a righteous and correct call, period, end of story.
Interested in counter arguments because I guarantee had that been St John’s that call went against, and not hated UConn, all of you would be singing a much different tune.

My memory definitely not the best with some things I thought the Singleton tech was for saying something to the refs

So long ago I’d have to see a clip of it

Alumni Hall what do you remember ?

Back