Bubble Watch

There are 36 open at-large bids after 32 automatic qualifiers. That means the P5 conferences could each get another 6 or 7 bids each. Not likely, of course, in any year, and especially this year where a mid-major like the MWC is slated to get at least 4 bids. For any school on the bubble, you have to hope that there are no upsets in a conference tournament by a school that was no where close to being on the bubble. Like G'town when it won the BE a couple of years ago.

As of today, we're 44 in the NET. Of the teams ahead of us in the NET, 11 will get automatic bids...which puts us 33rd in the NET of non automatic bid teams......fighting for 36 non-automatic bids......

I don't think that puts us on the bubble yet. We need at least 4 teams ahead of us of those 33 to fall behind us and then we should be on the bubble. Not done but not impossible with teams having about three games left plus conference tournaments. If we win out and get another game or two in the BET we should be right on the cusp. NIT is most likely but we're not out of it yet.

Several of the teams ahead of us play each other.....or top ranked teams.....we need a few losses.

Survive and advance.

Odds To Make NCAA Tournament.Colorado: Yes (+140) | No (-188)Providence: Yes (-154) | No (+116)St. Johns: Yes (+134) | No (-180)Villanova: Yes (-118) | No (-112)Virginia: Yes (-138) | No (+104)

And now let's preview the Butler game:

Bubble Boy Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

We need to take care of business tomorrow for this to start to matter but slow day so here is the daily bubble games to monitor:

Houston > Cincy
Kentucky > Miss State
Va Tech > Syracuse
Clemson > Pitt
ND > Wake
FSU > NC State
T.Tech > Texas
Penn State > Iowa
Air Force > Boise State
Colorado State > Nevada

We need to take care of business tomorrow for this to start to matter but slow day so here is the daily bubble games to monitor:

Houston > Cincy
Kentucky > Miss State
Va Tech > Syracuse
Clemson > Pitt
ND > Wake
FSU > NC State
T.Tech > Texas
Penn State > Iowa
Air Force > Boise State
Colorado State > Nevada
I think we can wait until Wednesday night to worry about bubble watching. A loss eliminates any reasonable chance of an at large bid. A win would give us a serious nudge.

I think we can wait until Wednesday night to worry about bubble watching. A loss eliminates any reasonable chance of an at large bid. A win would give us a serious nudge.
Guess you missed my first sentence of what i said.... "We need to take care of business tomorrow for this to start to matter but slow day so here is the daily bubble games to monitor"

2/28 Bubble Watch

BIGGEST GAME - St. John's > Butler - only one that matters then this gets interesting!!

Other games:

Marq> Providence
Georgia State > JMU
Iowa State > Oklahoma
Cal > Colorado
UIC > Drake
Evansville > Indiana State
South Carolina > Texas AM
Creighton > Seton Hall
Illinois > Minnesota
Bama > Ole Miss
Oregon State >Oregon
BC > Virginia

2/28 Bubble Watch

BIGGEST GAME - St. John's > Butler - only one that matters then this gets interesting!!

Other games:

Marq> Providence
Georgia State > JMU
Iowa State > Oklahoma
Cal > Colorado
UIC > Drake
Evansville > Indiana State
South Carolina > Texas AM
Creighton > Seton Hall
Illinois > Minnesota
Bama > Ole Miss
Oregon State >Oregon
BC > Virginia
Providence L
JMU W
Oklahoma L
Colorado W
Drake W (3OT)
Indiana St W
A&M L
Seton Hall L
Minnesota L
Ole Miss (losing currently but game is close)
Virginia (winning late)
Oregon (tips off later)

Here's the thing:

Going back to Lavins first year

Lav"s first team crested mid-season, cooled off, and were finished when Dj went down. We went down meekly in round 1 of ncaa's

Lav's final team stumbled to an at large bid, Dlo was banged up, Obekpa suspended and we went out quietly.

Mullin's final team was spoken early as a dark horse final 4 team, backed into a Play in game and left a stench in Dayton.

Pitino’s team, whether they get in or not, rose from the near dead and are in position to win out (5) in the regular season. Regardless of outcome, if they take care of bisiness they have my complete respect as the first team in 20 plus years to finish strong. Good for them.

Last edited:
Per Bart's forward looking bracketology this win puts us in the last 4 byes. I'm not nearly that optimistic but we may be in better shape than anticipated. TeamRankings gave us a 43% chance to get in before this game and new sims will be run tomorrow morning.

I think no matter what we have to beat whoever we play on Thursday of the BET. Hopefully we get the 5 and avoid having to play Wednesday.

Per Bart's forward looking bracketology this win puts us in the last 4 byes. I'm not nearly that optimistic but we may be in better shape than anticipated. TeamRankings gave us a 43% chance to get in before this game and new sims will be run tomorrow morning.

I think no matter what we have to beat whoever we play on Thursday of the BET. Hopefully we get the 5 and avoid having to play Wednesday.
Win out and get to Friday in the BET and I will be very happy even if we don't get in (but think we will). Jesus it's 11:03 on a weeknight and I'm still up - the Johnnies can perform miracles!

Last edited:
Back