Bubble Watch

Best thing Pitino said was that NET is fraudulent.

Makes zero sense to me for NCAA to have a ranking tool that is not used as primary.
A few things…

The NET and KenPom and all the rest of these “power” rankings are a joke and fraudulent. This just confirms it. The only thing they are being used for is some Committee member being interviewed using it as a talking point for certain teams.Yesterday someone pointed out it was St.John’s winning % in Quad 1 games wasn’t great. Of course that standard was not applied apparently to Michigan St or Virginia. So, I am sure there is some other twist yourself into a pretzel number to fit the narrative.

We need to also understand that this tournament is not meant to get the 68 best teams in the field. It’s just not. It has become more about David vs Goliath. That’s what they’re selling. Look how many teams have zero or almost zero chance to win a single game. We can like it or hate it but that’s a fact.

A few things…

The NET and KenPom and all the rest of these “power” rankings are a joke and fraudulent. This just confirms it. The only thing they are being used for is some Committee member being interviewed using it as a talking point for certain teams.Yesterday someone pointed out it was St.John’s winning % in Quad 1 games wasn’t great. Of course that standard was not applied apparently to Michigan St or Virginia. So, I am sure there is some other twist yourself into a pretzel number to fit the narrative.

We need to also understand that this tournament is not meant to get the 68 best teams in the field. It’s just not. It has become more about David vs Goliath. That’s what they’re selling. Look how many teams have zero or almost zero chance to win a single game. We can like it or hate it but that’s a fact.

We are neither a David or Goliath at this point, but CRP has us a lot closer to Goliath than we've been since the Lavin/Dunlop era (and once Dunlop left, Lavin floundered away great talent with terrible coaching--which is so not the case under CRP), so at least we can go into this recruiting season with a justified sense that we will be back better and stronger than this year, which says a lot.

69 KenPom, 54 NET, 55 BPI, 236th non-conference SOS. 2-7 Quad 1. Please, tell us more about these good metrics.

Pitt was 4 - 6 quad 1 and killed Virginia by 11 at Virginia in their only meeting. 9 - 9 and 10 - 10 gets you in in some power 5's but not 13 - 7 in the BE. Football conferences got 8. Brokeback mountain conference 6. It's a royal screw job.

Last edited:
Do we have anyone but ourselves to blame for the terrible stretch of basketball we played in January and Feb, no.
That stretch of games had us in the lead at half in most of them, only to lose at the end. No blowouts, except for at Seton hall without pitino and dingle, which supposedly being taken into the account by the committee.

These two teams being 7 and 8 seeds still make absolutely zero sense to me. They both should not have made the tournament. At least UVA beat four teams in the field!

Delete the NET from the digital world. Call it what it is. A bunch of people with their biases working the room. Barry Collier probably tried, but Bubba and his crew got their way. In the past, the Big East had friendlier reps from other conferences.

And CBS......please send Jay Wright packing. He has no passion for this job. He mails it in and is sucking up a paycheck for his name only. He is a great guy in a job that requires traits that he does not possess at this time in his life.

Looking at the geographic composition of the committee, I can't help but think the only thing that could make sense is that these guys simply never watched or cared for Big East basketball.

CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson) -- HQ is in Alabama
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner -- HQ is in Louisiana
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director
MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director
TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner -- HQ is in Utah
ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director
RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director

We literally only had one representative of the entire east coast. And guess what, that guy's program is under FBI INVESTIGATION. I'm sure Arthur Johnson had more stuff on his mind than advocating for eastern teams. We had one Big East AD, Barry collier, who I'm sure tried his hardest.

People in the south revere the SEC, Big 12, and ACC. That is the one bias I think is blatantly obvious today. Our branding is elite for in major eastern cities. But that's apparently it.

ST. JOHN’S FALLS SHORT OF JOINING THE FIELD OF 68
that://paper.newsday.com/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?edid=0bf5653c-edb7-48b7-9e1f-858297d5905b&pnum=46

ST. JOHN’S FALLS SHORT OF JOINING THE FIELD OF 68​

By Ben Dickson

Rick Pitino’s first NCAA Tournament game with St. John’s will have to wait.
After a sweaty two days following Friday’s Big East Tournament semifinal loss to reigning national champion UConn, St. John’s (20-13) was not included in Sunday’s NCAA Tournament bracket reveal.

The Red Storm also were not among the selection committee’s first four teams out, meaning they were firmly on the wrong side of the bubble. Pitino said the Red Storm would not accept an NIT bid. “I’m real proud of them,” Pitino said on a Zoom call Sunday night. “They were a great group to work with. Tremendous attitude. Couldn’t be prouder of a group than this group. They just gave me everything they had every single day.”

The Red Storm beat Seton Hall by 19 in a Big East Tournament quarterfinal on Thursday, a game that seemingly put them in the field no matter what happened against UConn. But chaos ensued in the hours between the Connecticut loss and Selection Sunday.
At-large bid-stealers arose in the Atlantic 10 (Duquesne), the Pac-12 (Oregon), the ACC (N.C. State) and the American (UAB), taking the spots of the first four out — Oklahoma, Seton Hall, Indiana State and Pittsburgh.

Selection committee chair Charles McClelland said on the selection show that Mountain West champion and 11th-seeded New Mexico, coached by Pitino’s son Richard, was a fifth bid-stealer despite being No. 22 in the NET.

“This is the first time since I’ve been on the committee that we’ve had five bids that have been stolen,” McClelland said. “The last two years combined, there’s only been three, so it makes it difficult for us to be able to go through that process.”

Only three Big East teams — No. 1 UConn, No. 2 Marquette and No. 3 Creighton — made the field of 68. Providence, which had six Quadrant One wins and zero bad losses, also was left out.

“About a week to 10 days ago, I think six of us [in the Big East] were all in,” Pitino said. “ . . . Every possible upset happened. The three of us really, really got hurt by that.”
St. John’s is No. 32 in Sunday’s NET rankings, the NCAA’s primary sorting tool for evaluating teams. Before this season, 2018-19 N.C. State (NET No. 33) was the highest-ranked NET team that was left out of the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA replaced the RPI with the NET before the 2018-19 season. Indiana State (NET No. 29) and St. John’s are the two highest-rated NET teams ever to not make the tournament.

“We all should probably never mention that word [the NET] again,’’ Pitino said, “because I think it’s fraudulent.”

St. John’s was 14-12 overall and 6-9 in the Big East with five regular-season games remaining, sitting firmly on the wrong side of the bubble.

But the Red Storm rattled off five straight wins to end the regular season, picking up a marquee home win over Creighton, a Quadrant One win at Butler, two wins over 10th-place Georgetown and a road win over last-place DePaul.

But as the committee decided Sunday, it was too little, too late.

I'll be very interested next year to see if the 4th place B.E. if they have a similar record like shu, if they get in. If not then they might be turning the B.E. conference into a 3 bid conference.
You'd have to believe that there will not be 5 bid-stealers next year, so I would imagine that said team would get in.

Delete the NET from the digital world. Call it what it is. A bunch of people with their biases working the room. Barry Collier probably tried, but Bubba and his crew got their way. In the past, the Big East had friendlier reps from other conferences.

And CBS......please send Jay Wright packing. He has no passion for this job. He mails it in and is sucking up a paycheck for his name only. He is a great guy in a job that requires traits that he does not possess at this time in his life.
Perfectly stated. I can’t wait for next season when someone posts on here that “NET matters”. What REALLY matters is who is “in the room“ and who is “lobbying” for whom.

Looking at the geographic composition of the committee, I can't help but think the only thing that could make sense is that these guys simply never watched or cared for Big East basketball.

CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson) -- HQ is in Alabama
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner -- HQ is in Louisiana
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director
MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director
TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner -- HQ is in Utah
ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director
RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director

We literally only had one representative of the entire east coast. And guess what, that guy's program is under FBI INVESTIGATION. I'm sure Arthur Johnson had more stuff on his mind than advocating for eastern teams. We had one Big East AD, Barry collier, who I'm sure tried his hardest.

People in the south revere the SEC, Big 12, and ACC. That is the one bias I think is blatantly obvious today. Our branding is elite for in major eastern cities. But that's apparently it.

The name of this thread should have been the Bubba Watch

Rachalle Paul formerly of St Peters and Seton Hall was or still is on this committee. She is still listed as a member on Wikipedia. She leveraged her success at St Peters to land the deputy AD job at Miami in the ACC.

If she is still on the committee, it would be interesting if Zach or Roger Rubin interviewed her for her take on the ACC winning the room over the Big East - where she once worked.

Back