Bubble Watch

SJU was basically a toss up in my mind, so not sour that they didn’t make it. BUT

this bracket is absolute garbage. The biggest thing to me is there is no consistency in what they did. If you could point and say “they really valued metrics” or “they really valued big wins” or “they wanted teams that avoided bad losses” I could at least understand it. Instead, they seemed to have just picked random teams with disparate resumes for no discernible reason. Virginia in? FAU an 8? What are they doing.

Frankly, I’d prefer if they just made this 100% mathematical. Pick one of the metrics or even a combo of several that you can weigh. Then everyone will know exactly what’s happening—some of these decision are inexplicable.
There is multiple selection “criteria” so the committee can justify using it judiciously to do exactly what they did, pick who they want. And appease the football conferences for as long as they can to buy as much time as they can before they break away and the NCAA becomes defunct.

We're not even one of the first four out
What happened to the committee putting more weight on results from the latter part of the season?
A lot of teams can breathe a sigh of relief that they don't have to play us
At the end of the season, we proved that we could hang with just anybody
How can the Big East rank as the 7th conference in the number of teams picked for the tournament?
We're like the Rodney Dangerfield of college basketball
So much for analytics - might as well throw the NET and KenPom out the window - apparently they mean absolutely nothing!!!

A few people got on me yesterday for saying the committee comprised of old white guys is not the best way to choose and seed teams. I'd be far more confident passing it to the Twitter nerds that update their fake brackets after every game during conference tourney week. Those guys care 100x more than the committee does

We're not even one of the first four out
How can the Big East rank as the 7th conference in the number of teams picked for the tournament?
We're like the Rodney Dangerfield of college basketball
So much for analytics - might as well throw the NET and KenPom out the window - apparently they mean absolutely nothing!!!
Without being an a$$hole, that was always my thought, it was always about winning the tournament or the committee, IMO, the bracketology industry is just more talking head nonsense by people who figured out how to not have to get a real job, and for them that is not a bad thing.

Also, conference tournaments. Totally a waste of time unless there's a bid stealer in the championship game. Lesson learned

This is a great point. The conference tournaments are basically treated as your last conference games. If you look at almost all the other conference tournaments, they are lame events with sparse attendance. We are probably deceived on this point because the big east tournament is an actual fantastic event. Even Hurley was talking yesterday about how it’s hard to go from such an electric environment to the first round of the ncaas, that it was an adjustment.

Anyway I appreciate all your posts. I'm done for a while.

That was a particularly diabolical and excruciatingly painful way for the inevitable hammer to fall. I thought the whole you're in now your out and the suspensefulness of the selection show ending was an excellent twist and brought new life to a worn out recurring theme. Well played big guy...well played!

Last edited:
One thing for certain is the committee does not attach any weight on teams that are currently hot. It is more a body of work and early season matters. I thought for sure we were first 4 out all day. To not even be close apparently is total nonsense.

Go check out Michigan State. The two big wins are Baylor and Illinois. Played lots of others but they lost them.

James Madison L
Duke L
Arizona L
Wisconsin L2x
Nebraska L
Northwestern L
Illinois L 1/2
Minnesota L 1/2
Iowa L
Ohio St L
Purdue L 2x
Indiana L

Conference record 10-10
Does that read like a 9 seed? Comfortably in.?

This outcome just feels like such a gut punch. It's devastating because we deserve to be there and easily could have made a run.
In all fairness, we had a very sketchy season. And made a great late run to enter the conversation. But some key players basically mailed it in for 10 games and grossly underperformed at an embarassing way. Kudos for the late run by some guys but overall there were plenty of lost opportunities. The biggest travesty is only 3 bids. While i think we deserved to get in over the Hall, one of us should be in.

Back