Brandon Parga, SG

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a friend of mine who coaches AAU in LA said he is hearing Parga is definitely interested in us and wants to explore as an option but is a heavy and I mean heavy St. Mary's lean. Upon research I believe I found the reason. Apparently, the coach that recruited him to his JC in the first place is the associate head coach at St. Mary's. After Saint Mary's I heard Hawaii is in good position due to this former teammate at citrus being on the team.

I'd like to think if an offer came from us it would be hard to pass up seeing how we play in the Big East and NYC as opposed to the WCC or WAC(soon BigWest). But if we are to have a chance we probably need to come on strong and hard. Don't know if that's going to happen. 

Surprised or not surprised he has the WAC, BIG12, and ACC calling. If that's the level he's being recruited at by multiple schools he's definitely at our caliber. Everything I read suggests St. Mary's has done a great job. They're a top 15 in the Country so if they're recruiting him again good enough for me. I'm sure he's not the only shooter in the country, so as long as we get one I'll be happy. Still hoping for Winston.

St. Mary's makes sense on several levels. Your info is greatly appreciated!

Yeah it does. But there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to beat out a school like that. We're St. Johns!!!!!!!!! We'll see what Lavin decides. If he goes hard I'm sure we'll get a legitimate crack at him.

On a side note, my buddies in Vegas are hearing good things with us and Winston. I'll post more details soon.

We NEED to offer this kid. If he can hit an unguarded 3 than we neeeeeed him.

Im running late but still planning to make the game and post my thoughts. Everyone else still planning to make the Parga game?

Enjoy the game buddy. I look forward to your report. Do you have a sense where Parga,s backcourt mate is heading to college?

If anyone has any questions after reading tjis jist ask. Here goes. Parga didn't shoot well. You can tell he has a good feel for the game. And he has a great looking shot. Comes out the same every time and looks good coming off every time. What they said about his athleticism is true. He's limited. This was his worst game of the year easily based on looking at stats but I could tell he can shoot. Did have a great pull up jumper that showed he can shoot off the dribble too. Final stats were 7 points on 3/13.

I will say this. His teammate Walker is a legitimate baller. I heard TCU loved him. He is so smooth and plays with great pace. Exceptional mid rage game and his three point shot looked good too. He would be a perfect replacement for Stith. I saw he played really well when Lavin was at their game saturday. I think we should take a look at this kid.

Ted was also in attendance. He might provide a detailed report but told me the kid is legit 6'5. Good looking shot. Was drilling them with regularity in warmups. Limited like Jeremy said as well. He sent me a video. Going to try and upload it in a few minutes. 

My son and I attended the game last night and saw the family night festivities.

In warmups, Parga probably nailed 45 out of 50 three point shots and a few of them that he missed were knocked away by another basketball hitting his at the rim.

He is a legit 6-5 and has a good build. In terms of footwork, seems a little slow and it was hard to gauge his handle because he rarely drove to the hoop unlike his smaller guard teammates who did little in the way of passing when they got the ball in their hands. A lot of 1 on 1 basketball at Citrus.

Parga had a poor night shooting and was 1-5 in first half (1 layup, 2 missed lay ups, 2 missed 3 pointers). In the second half he hit a jumper and a 3 pointer but missed at least 5-6 open shots.

It could have been nerves due to San Francisco, TCU, and two other schools there at the least. St Mary's may have been in attendance.

You can definitely see this kid can shoot but hard to gauge in this game. He didn't have any hands in his face on the missed jumpers.

I would have liked to see him play in front of the arc more as he usually was stationed in the corners beyond 3 point range.

On defense, he may have some trouble guarding quicker 2's but has long arms.

I was a little disappointed with the results but after thinking about it, a 2 year investment on Parga is definitely worth the gamble. You can teach aggressiveness and defense but can't teach someone to be a pure shooter with size.

As for Walker, the kid is legit PG with some nice size 6-2? He has a great motor and can shoot. Much better than Malik Stith.

Didn't see Jeremy Hunt at the game.

My son and I attended the game last night and saw the family night festivities.

In warmups, Parga probably nailed 45 out of 50 three point shots and a few of them that he missed were knocked away by another basketball hitting his at the rim.

He is a legit 6-5 and has a good build. In terms of footwork, seems a little slow and it was hard to gauge his handle because he rarely drove to the hoop unlike his smaller guard teammates who did little in the way of passing when they got the ball in their hands. A lot of 1 on 1 basketball at Citrus.

Parga had a poor night shooting and was 1-5 in first half (1 layup, 2 missed lay ups, 2 missed 3 pointers). In the second half he hit a jumper and a 3 pointer but missed at least 5-6 open shots.

It could have been nerves due to San Francisco, TCU, and two other schools there at the least. St Mary's may have been in attendance.

You can definitely see this kid can shoot but hard to gauge in this game. He didn't have any hands in his face on the missed jumpers.

I would have liked to see him play in front of the arc more as he usually was stationed in the corners beyond 3 point range.

On defense, he may have some trouble guarding quicker 2's but has long arms.

I was a little disappointed with the results but after thinking about it, a 2 year investment on Parga is definitely worth the gamble. You can teach aggressiveness and defense but can't teach someone to be a pure shooter with size.

As for Walker, the kid is legit PG with some nice size 6-2? He has a great motor and can shoot. Much better than Malik Stith.

Didn't see Jeremy Hunt at the game.

Ted.. Thanks for the detailed report. I still believe that this is a back end of the class type of kid and an offer will not be extended ( if at all) to Parga. No Redmen.com meeting with you and Jeremy???

Didn't see Jeremy. I looked but did not see anyone who I thought could be him. A lot of families and students in groups wearing either Citrus or West LA shirts. It was family night and have the team had their moms, dads, siblings, etc. at the game.

Gut feeling is that we Do Not offer but not a bad option for designated shooter.  

Thanks for the updates guys. Nice scouting reports.

Sounds like Parga didn't have his best night. But, we were never thinking of him as a guy who'd be getting major minutes anyway. It'll be interesting to see what Lavin does.

I wanted to go talk to his mom and sister but they were sitting with other families to see what the status was with him and an offer. I did hear from someone there that St Johns was going to contact the coach next week.

i was running late and had to leave for the game straight from work, so I was in a Polo and slacks. Not my usual Johnnies gear. I'm bummed I didn't get to mingle with you guys. But yeah Teds write up was very accurate. I think Parga could be a solid role player for us. 6-5 Pure Shooter you can't teach. And we need a shooter almost more than anything. With Winston going to San Diego state these leaves even more room in the class for someone like parga. But we'll wait and see what lavin does.

We have so many scholis to fill and if anyone doesnt return will have even more. Lavin cant afford to put us in a position like this year. We all want Obekpa and Sampson. But quality players off the bench are also good to have. Plus the pickings are getting slim.

How about Parga's teammate, James Walker? He's a 6'3 transfer from Southern Utah and the leading scorer for Citrus.

Back