Brandon Parga, SG

damn bad timing on my part. Wish coach was going to the game on the 15th. I will be representing!!!

I have a friend who played with him in high school and is good friends with Brandon. He told me he would be a great fit for us and is a really smart kid. He almost went to Columbia out of high school. He played a year in high school with Cezar Guerrero. Sneaky athleticism and a strong finisher. Can defend the 2 or 3 positions.

Good to hear but then why JUCO? Prep a year to improve your game but two years?

I agree! We needed him now and not November 2012. Could have transferred at mid-year. Looks like an option if some other prospects decline and could be a sub behind Harrison at the 2 and maybe the 8th or 9th man. He could also be a specialty player in close games that one would want at the ft line in close games.

Why would he transfer at mid-year to only have 1 season of eligibility. We have 5 ships to give. This kid is a JUCO shooter. Excactly what we need on the roster. A Kyle Kuric type to spread things out. November of 2012 is just as good for us because he wasnt available this season.

I have no problem grabbing a JC player who can shoot and score. We need that and have plenty of room on the roster, especially for two years. Sounds like a nice addition if we do offer. Hopefully somebody can go see him and give a report.

GOOD COMPARISON

Any word on if Lavin liked what he saw in the Parga kid. Despite being in Central CA I have not been able to see him but I do know he is thought of in good regard by most people I know that have seen him.

Just saw he had 17 on 7/9 shooting and 2/3 from Three in the game Lavin attended. Also Did notice he was 0/2 in free throws which is rare I suppose for a kid shooting 89% from the charity line.

I think all us fans are in agreement we need a shooter. Don't know much about this kid except he is a shooter. Shooting 50 from three in 24 games and plays for a top JC nationally.

He had 17 points of 7-of-9 shooting, 2-of-3 on threes, in just 23 mnutes. (Eght guys played at least 23 minutes). Parga added five assists, three steals and three assists.

As a sidenote: Walker had 23 points and eight assists on 10-of-13 shooting.

He was acutally 1-of-4 from the line.

Oops my bad. My abilities to read box scores are apparently at low major level, lol. Very surprising he wS 1-4 based on his season numbers. Either way looks like he played well. Wonder what Lavin thought everyone keeps saying hes a top unsigned shooter and we def need one of those.

I'm also very anxious to hear about Lavins trip to see Andrew Young. I have seen him. Very Good!!!

Bekieve me we are about to.

I don't think we did/are. I feel like no news is not good news in this case. Lavin must not have liked what he saw despite 17 points on 7/9. Doesn't sound like there are too many bigtime shooters left in JC. Hope we know what we're doing by passing on this kid. 

Then again maybe we are going to offer, and are still interested. Who knows.

Moose: Thanks for the Kudos. I appreciate it. I'm doing my best to be a legitimate contributed to the board. I noticed there aren't a whole lot of Californians on the board so hopefully I can feel that void and supply everyone with info from here out West. I usually attend the big Events here in Central and Southern California as well as make the annual summer trip to Vegas so I get to see all the West Coast recruits quite a few times and most the big time National kids a few times as well in Vegas.

I'm going to make the drive down South this Wednesday to give a report/eval on Parga. Hopefully I'll be able to articulate well for everybody. But from what I have read and heard about him he seems like a great fit for us other than the general consensus that he is an average athlete. Which should be okay, since we run Dunlaps zone the majority of the time.

Great stuff JH! It's always nice to read a first hand account of the recruits we're involved in. It gives us back east a lot more context than a 3 sentence blurb on a recruiting blog. Plus, you have an idea how he'll fit in with OUR team. Thank you for your contributions and I look forward to your recap from Wednesday's game. And, btw, your info on Young was very encouraging as well.

I don't think we did/are. I feel like no news is not good news in this case. Lavin must not have liked what he saw despite 17 points on 7/9. Doesn't sound like there are too many bigtime shooters left in JC. Hope we know what we're doing by passing on this kid. 

I have zero inside knowledge on whether Lavin liked what he saw, but coach has so many balls in the air it could be he's taking a minute to assess where he's at with other recruits before offering. From what posters have said, Parga was suprised to be drawing BE interest. Doesn't sound like we have a lot of competition outside of maybe St Marys.

I think that's one way to read this situation.

I have zero inside knowledge on whether Lavin liked what he saw, but coach has so many balls in the air it could be he's taking a minute to assess where he's at with other recruits before offering. From what posters have said, Parga was suprised to be drawing BE interest. Doesn't sound like we have a lot of competition outside of maybe St Marys.

True. There's so much going on with St. Johns they might just be taking their time. But who knows. What does "BE" mean by the way? Also, just read an article the other day but it sounds like Hawaii and St. Mary's have both done a good job recruiting him but he's also hearing from Boston College and TCU. If he's good enough for St. Mary's and he has ACC(BC) and future Big12(TCU) schools on him than I'd like to think hes good enough for us.

True. There's so much going on with St. Johns they might just be taking their time. But who knows. What does "BE" mean by the way? Also, just read an article the other day but it sounds like Hawaii and St. Mary's have both done a good job recruiting him but he's also hearing from Boston College and TCU. If he's good enough for St. Mary's and he has ACC(BC) and future Big12(TCU) schools on him than I'd like to think hes good enough for us.

BE= Big East. I saw that about BC and TCU showing interest too, but a poster on another board said something along the lines of "Parga was surprised that a big-time program was after him". And that poster had a link to the player/school of some kind.

So that's a little bit of conflicting info. Take it for what it's worth.

Surprised or not surprised he has the WAC, BIG12, and ACC calling. If that's the level he's being recruited at by multiple schools he's definitely at our caliber. Everything I read suggests St. Mary's has done a great job. They're a top 15 in the Country so if they're recruiting him again good enough for me. I'm sure he's not the only shooter in the country, so as long as we get one I'll be happy. Still hoping for Winston.

Thanks Desco.

I'm late the message board game but trying to make up for lost time. Glad I could fill people in on our West Coast recruits. I've followed them pretty closely and feel I got good insight with them.

I too am excited about the game Wednesday. I hope I like what I see and am eager to report back to everyone.

JH, I will be at the game with Parga as well. SI guy but traveling to LA for the next year.  Interested to hear your take!

JH, I will be at the game with Parga as well. SI guy but traveling to LA for the next year.  Interested to hear your take!

Oh you are? Awesome! I'll be wearing a Johnnies Hoodie most likely. Can't wait for your take as well.

Back