Around the Big East

PC & Xavier killing the portal. Having said that, we will be fine is my view. Rick in a way different position this year and is not going to rush.

Who exactly are PC and Xavier competing against for these 2nd and 3rd tier portalers? Honest question. And not saying CRP shouldn't be trawling in those waters as well for depth.

Who exactly are PC and Xavier competing against for these 2nd and 3rd tier portalers? Honest question. And not saying CRP shouldn't be trawling in those waters as well for depth.
I really haven't paid much attention to either school, but Cardet will probably be good. Not worried about playing against Bensley Joseph though. Hopefully will not have to revise that second part in a month though.

Of course

Yep.....he's definitely a Creighton type.

That said, one thought I had at the end of last season was that McDermott should consider inserting a lunch pale power forward. They run a beautiful offense and have had a lot of success, but I think the team can use a little more toughness.

Denzel Mahoney was the last Creighton PF that I can remember bringing some grit.

Agree. And the kid from USC and this BC kid are night and day
Come on guys. Pitino was being politically correct when he offered recruiting as excuse not to accept nit bid! He was being polite. He did not come here to win nit. It’s a losers tournament. Lots of big time schools said no. Not just SJU. There is no money -$4,000 per game, and no prestige in winning it. Worse result if you lose it. Except for finals, games played on campuses in palookaville with no tv ratings. Gone are the days where 16 teams came to MSG and captivated city. How many portal recruits has Seton Hall got because they won it? None. And they lost Davis. Forget the NIT. A different era when ncaa only had 16 invites, not 64.

The way I see the transfer portal is similar to the job interview process that we went through as college seniors as hirees or when we were on the other side of the desk doing the hiring. As a hiree, It was not just selecting the biggest paycheck/sign on bonus but it was also selecting the best fit. Similarly when I was on the hiring side of the desk, it was not necessarily selecting the person with the highest GPA but it also was looking at how the person would fit in with the my firm. The interview process was more important than the person's work/academic bachground on a resume (or a portal individuals highlight reel). Seems like Coach is just as concerned with a portal players highlight reel as well as the person and how they interview which could include input from current players.
Agree but some real differences. In real life both parties are looking for long term relationship. In college ball with limited eligibility, it’s an inherently short term relationship. Nil has exacerbated it because nil is a one year contract. And players know that even if team tanks, if their stats are good, they can parlay that into bigger nil at different school next year. And why should payers be long term loyal if nil deal is for one year!

Agree but some real differences. In real life both parties are looking for long term relationship. In college ball with limited eligibility, it’s an inherently short term relationship. Nil has exacerbated it because nil is a one year contract. And players know that even if team tanks, if their stats are good, they can parlay that into bigger nil at different school next year. And why should payers be long term loyal if nil deal is for one year!
It’s also an immediate gratification relationship now. If I don’t get my minutes and stats, player is gone. If player is injured or has a bad year, nil deal is over and team moves on. This is now a no quarter asked or given game.

It’s also an immediate gratification relationship now. If I don’t get my minutes and stats, player is gone. If player is injured or has a bad year, nil deal is over and team moves on. This is now a no quarter asked or given game.
If Glenn Taylor was named Glenn Smith and had played like he did for us last season , would RP be looking at him in the Portal ?
Considering he’s as good as some of these players we are chasing ?

If Glenn Taylor was named Glenn Smith and had played like he did for us last season , would RP be looking at him in the Portal ?
Considering he’s as good as some of these players we are chasing ?
We need scoring. I have no clue whether Scott provides it, but Taylor wasn't.

Plus he left because he didn't see a path to big minutes.

As of right now Luis may be the PF so I suppose Taylor would have had minutes if we don't land anyone like a few nervous Nellies seem to think will be the case.

Back