Around the Big East

Does anybody with a brain think if it was just about getting commits SJU would already have 2-3 types of commits like the one above already?

Of course we would. It should be about getting big-time players. Nobody wants five average joes brought in. That’s why, to me, this USC center doesn’t make sense (if it happens). Also, wasn’t one of the supposed reasons we skipped the NIT was to get a jump on the portal?

Of course we would. It should be about getting big-time players. Nobody wants five average joes brought in. That’s why, to me, this USC center doesn’t make sense (if it happens). Also, wasn’t one of the supposed reasons we skipped the NIT was to get a jump on the portal?
The kid from USC has some drawbacks specifically health. But if he is right he is stud.

I don't understand the NIT argument. Not landing some high quality kids you targeted early while the NIT was going on is not evidence it was the wrong move. The NIT was a nothing Tourney that 9-10 teams skipped. I would have preferred them targeting kids early even if some of them did not ulitmately land at SJU.

The NIT is such a dumb argument.

Last edited:
The kid from USC has some drawbacks specifically health. But if he is right he is stud.

I don't understand the NIT argument. Not landing some high quality kids you targeted early while the NIT was going on is not evidence it was the wrong move. The NIT was a nothing Tourney that 9-10 teams skipped. I would have preferred them targeting kids early even if soem them did not ulitmately land at SJU.

Kids voted not to play in the NIT, it’s as simple as that. Winning the NIT hasn’t exactly landed the Hall a bevy of impressed transfers lol.

It's gotta be the right kids. You can't just bring in big time players and have no clue if they will mesh or take instructions. Look at UConn. All their guys weren't big time. Sure some where. But they found the right kids to fit a system and who bought in.

Does anybody with a brain think if it was just about getting commits SJU would already have 2-3 types of commits like the one above already?
They would have 2 or 3 a level above this kid, whose numbers at BC would make this board shudder, despite being a top 150 kid out of HS.

Kids voted not to play in the NIT, it’s as simple as that. Winning the NIT hasn’t exactly landed the Hall a bevy of impressed transfers lol.
And it led to their second best player and a few other kids who were supposed to have roles jump ship with a week…..if Richmond stays it ain’t because they won the NIT.

I don't understand the NIT argument. Not landing some high quality kids you targeted early while the NIT was going on is not evidence it was the wrong move. The NIT was a nothing Tourney that 9-10 teams skipped. I would have preferred them targeting kids early even if some of them did not ulitmately land at SJU.

Agree. And the kid from USC and this BC kid are night and day

Our fan base seems upset that RP hasn’t set the World on fire with Portal transfers so far .
Neither has Creighton , Marquette , SH, UCONN , Nova , etc

If you scan the rolls of Players who have landed elsewhere , it’s dominated by the larger State Schools . Not a lot of BE teams mentioned .
DePaul would be expected to need a lot of incoming as they have to build a new team . Much as we did last season .

And , a lot of movement in the Portal is jetted by the movement of Coaches changing jobs or , just players looking for the biggest payday . Storr comes to mind , as a example .

RP isn’t interested in head cases , problem children , frequent flyers or those just chasing a pay check . He has a template of what he wants in a Player and likely as not, will do that .

We , as fans , might want the Headline players but , RP might prefer those that fit his model , not ours .

And , unless I missed it , Taylor hasn’t landed elsewhere yet , has he ?
Not saying he will be back but , who knows ?

How many Coaches find the Koleks, Schierman , Spencer’s , Knecht in the Portal , after the alleged big names are grabbed up ?

As we have learned over the years , some times the ex McD kids never pan out in college . Some do , it’s a roll of the dice .
Hurley has a good formula going . Get a stud SG as a freshman and do it 3 years in a row.
Boughnight , Hawkins , Castle .

The way I see the transfer portal is similar to the job interview process that we went through as college seniors as hirees or when we were on the other side of the desk doing the hiring. As a hiree, It was not just selecting the biggest paycheck/sign on bonus but it was also selecting the best fit. Similarly when I was on the hiring side of the desk, it was not necessarily selecting the person with the highest GPA but it also was looking at how the person would fit in with the my firm. The interview process was more important than the person's work/academic bachground on a resume (or a portal individuals highlight reel). Seems like Coach is just as concerned with a portal players highlight reel as well as the person and how they interview which could include input from current players.

The way I see the transfer portal is similar to the job interview process that we went through as college seniors as hirees or when we were on the other side of the desk doing the hiring. As a hiree, It was not just selecting the biggest paycheck/sign on bonus but it was also selecting the best fit. Similarly when I was on the hiring side of the desk, it was not necessarily selecting the person with the highest GPA but it also was looking at how the person would fit in with the my firm. The interview process was more important than the person's work/academic bachground on a resume (or a portal individuals highlight reel). Seems like Coach is just as concerned with a portal players highlight reel as well as the person and how they interview which could include input from current players.
Very much agree about the interview process; back in the day, one of my goals in a one on one interview was to catch the candidate lying, call them on it, not because I cared about the lie, but I wanted to see their reaction to getting caught; how they handled themselves in what for the vast majority of people is a very uncomfortable situation to say the least.
One of the best people I ever had work for me was a guy in his late 30’s who just got his college degree, caught bold faced saying he had certain experience that follow up questions revealed he clearly didn’t. When I asked why he lied, he essentially said, I have two young kids, really need the job because I can’t work manual labor much longer and I can and will learn. I’m a little rough around the edges maybe but I am smart and my work ethic is off the charts; I just need a chance.
Hired him, never regretted a minute he worked for me. He moved on but still in touch with him, great guy…….

Back