Around the Big East

You might be right vis a vis football but still Bball wise, nothing like it. Great Tournament, great recruiting still , great portal success so far. Fox negotiations should tell a story and i do agree need a better leader than Val
We have such great leverageboth the Big ten and big 12 just cancelled their home and home with us. Unilaterally. Don’t be surprised when it becomes apparent the football schools won’t book individual games either. Or it will be at their venue and no home and home deal.

Fine, if that is your opinion but that position is not a negotiating angle, it is an acceptance that the Power 5 is completely calling the shots.
Hey that’s what Akerman said. She was grateful we got three.

So your bar is a defunct conference when the BE leadership is doing the exact same thing the PAC12 did, absolutely nothing!
That’s like saying I’m next in line for execution but I’m at least I’m better off than the guy in front of me!
I didnt say that. I said that we need better leadership, more revenue streams to survive the current environment. But what i am saying is Big East has survived and flourished while 1 of former Power 5 has not! You misrepresent what i said. ACC also at risk. Future is now for these conferences. However , our product is still the best out there , someone needs a better strategy than Vals. Period!

I didnt say that. I said that we need better leadership, more revenue streams to survive the current environment. But what i am saying is Big East has survived and flourished while 1 of former Power 5 has not! You misrepresent what i said. ACC also at risk. Future is now for these conferences. However , our product is still the best out there , someone needs a better strategy than Vals. Period!
No, you chose to comment that I was making a “bad argument” concerning the BE, I asked you to explain why, you then went full circle with several irrelevant arguments only to summarize what you were saying with essentially the same position I had, that you called a “bad argument” originally.
Our only real difference is that I believe the time for action by the BE has come and gone; you don’t. I hope on that one you are right and I wrong.

I respect all the civil debate as to where we stand but we will know the result in 11 months when the next NCAA tournament field is selected. Hopefully we will have more than 3 teams dancing.
It would seem to me that the more competitive the league is, the more that works against us. If, as we had this year, a group of teams hovering around the 500 mark, the idiots on the selection committee can view that (or more likely justify that) as being mediocre.

I wonder if the league would be better off if 5 teams pulled away from the other 5?

It would seem to me that the more competitive the league is, the more that works against us. If, as we had this year, a group of teams hovering around the 500 mark, the idiots on the selection committee can view that (or more likely justify that) as being mediocre.

I wonder if the league would be better off if 5 teams pulled away from the other 5?
The problem this year was three teams. UCONN, Depaul, and Georgetown.

Seton Hall beat a somewhat depleated UCONN team early (which is probably why they were closer to the Tournament than the other bubble teams), but nobody else did, and we know now that this UCONN team was playing on a different level than everybody else.

Everyone picked up 4 wins (or 5, in the cases of Villanova and Providence) against the bottom two, who, in most rankings, rated as two of the three worst power-conference teams in America (some had Georgetown as being better than Louisville). Depaul's closest non-Georgetown Big East game (prior to the Villanova tournament heartbreaker), was 11 points vs Providence. Most games were 20+ margins, with several over 30.

As much as we all love the double round robin format, it might have hurt the league this year, because of how bad DePaul was (Georgetown too, but at least they were competative in a good majority of their games). Those two teams really brought the individual team rankings of the conference down. UCONN brought it back up a bit, but not many teams even came really close to beating them.

In the end, the committee had to basically take all or none of the bubble teams, since the resumes were so similar. Throw in the unusually high number of conference tournament bid-stealers, and in the end, they chose none.

Back