Around the Big East

Three four-star recruits in 15 days for UConn, all recruited by different assistant coaches

Rahsool Diggins, a crafty Philadelphia point guard in the A.J. Price mold.

Jordan Hawkins, a dynamic athlete and shooter from Maryland’s vaunted DeMatha Catholic.

Samson Johnson, a 6-foot-11 stretch-four from New Jersey with unlimited potential.

A trio of four-star recruits committing to UConn over the past 15 days. And, in a testament to the recruiting abilities and depth of Dan Hurley’s staff, all three had different UConn assistant coaches as their lead recruiter.

LINK:https://outline.com/TAWvDs

[quote="otis" post=395912]Three four-star recruits in 15 days for UConn, all recruited by different assistant coaches

Rahsool Diggins, a crafty Philadelphia point guard in the A.J. Price mold.

Jordan Hawkins, a dynamic athlete and shooter from Maryland’s vaunted DeMatha Catholic.

Samson Johnson, a 6-foot-11 stretch-four from New Jersey with unlimited potential.

A trio of four-star recruits committing to UConn over the past 15 days. And, in a testament to the recruiting abilities and depth of Dan Hurley’s staff, all three had different UConn assistant coaches as their lead recruiter.

LINK:https://outline.com/TAWvDs[/quote]

Last thing on this wrt Hurley/BE/Recruiting:

The most important things in recruiting are (assuming we are talking about a high major program):
1)Head Coach. Does he have credibility as a coach and recruiter?
2)Staff-Does he have a staff that works hard and has connections and can connect with kids
3)The program itself. Does it have cache in the eyes of kids? Even if they have had some down years. Also things like facilities and other nice trinkets that come along with the program.

Conference can come into play as well. But those 3 are the most important. Now the reason I am limiting it to high major because obviously Iona can claim to have number 1. But obviously being in the MAAC is going to hamper them in terms of recruiting top 100 talent, although no one will be surprised if Pitino lands 1 or 2 every few years.

Just wondering where does Pitino live these days ? I’m sure it’s not anywhere near Louisville . Or , Kentucky for that matter . Since Iona is in New Rochelle , I’m guessing some where in Westchester or lower Fairfield . I think he lived in Bedford when he Coached the Knicks .

[quote="SLYFOXX1968" post=395953]Just wondering where does Pitino live these days ? I’m sure it’s not anywhere near Louisville . Or , Kentucky for that matter . Since Iona is in New Rochelle , I’m guessing some where in Westchester or lower Fairfield . I think he lived in Bedford when he Coached the Knicks .[/quote]

He has had a Manhattan apartment for years

[quote="Paultzman" post=395957][quote="SLYFOXX1968" post=395953]Just wondering where does Pitino live these days ? I’m sure it’s not anywhere near Louisville . Or , Kentucky for that matter . Since Iona is in New Rochelle , I’m guessing some where in Westchester or lower Fairfield . I think he lived in Bedford when he Coached the Knicks .[/quote]

He has had a Manhattan apartment for years[/quote]. Of course he did but , the Family Residence was in the Bedford area when he Coached the Knicks . My Company insured the home . Just saying .

[quote="SLYFOXX1968" post=395961][quote="Paultzman" post=395957][quote="SLYFOXX1968" post=395953]Just wondering where does Pitino live these days ? I’m sure it’s not anywhere near Louisville . Or , Kentucky for that matter . Since Iona is in New Rochelle , I’m guessing some where in Westchester or lower Fairfield . I think he lived in Bedford when he Coached the Knicks .[/quote]

He has had a Manhattan apartment for years[/quote]. Of course he did but , the Family Residence was in the Bedford area when he Coached the Knicks . My Company insured the home . Just saying .[/quote]

Just saying that was 30 years ago;)

[quote="SLYFOXX1968" post=395961][quote="Paultzman" post=395957][quote="SLYFOXX1968" post=395953]Just wondering where does Pitino live these days ? I’m sure it’s not anywhere near Louisville . Or , Kentucky for that matter . Since Iona is in New Rochelle , I’m guessing some where in Westchester or lower Fairfield . I think he lived in Bedford when he Coached the Knicks .[/quote]

He has had a Manhattan apartment for years[/quote]. Of course he did but , the Family Residence was in the Bedford area when he Coached the Knicks . My Company insured the home . Just saying .[/quote]

Family home in Bedford and Manhattan apartment used for table activities.

[quote="JohnnyFan" post=395984]

Family home in Bedford and Manhattan apartment used for table activities.[/quote]

His options would be more limited, but I think family in NYC and table in Bedford would be more discreet.

The Xavier Musketeers added an early morning commitment on Friday as they pulled in the pledge of forward Elijah Tucker. Tucker, who is 6-foot-7 and has the ability to play inside and outside, has had a very good summer showing more consistency shooting the basketball as well as rebounding, and now he is going to be making his way to the Big East for college.

Currently ranked as the No. 144 prospect in the 247Sports 2021 Top247, Tucker is a fast rising player who has made big strides with his game over the past 12 months.
https://247sports.com/college/baske...ecruiting-commitment-Elijah-Tucker-150268923/

Wild card is coaching of course, but;

Why last year's cellar dwellers can be optimistic article;

Despite all the DePaul jokes, there was talk of a return to the NCAA Tournament last season after the Blue Demons started the year 12-1. But winning just four of the final 19 games did not help the Dave Leitao loyalists. Still, he is slowly building the culture that is needed in Lincoln Park while also enrolling the kind of talent that is needed to compete in a league as strong as the Big East.

Sure, Creighton and Villanova will lead the pack, but other than those two programs there are plenty of questions throughout the conference. DePaul's upside is intriguing, with Charlie Moore, Jaylen Butz and Darious Hall returning and an infusion of graduate transfers that fill specific needs. As long as Romeo Weems develops into the star he can become the Blue Demons could be a surprising team. A top-15 class in 2021 also helps provide a rosy outlook for DePaul's future.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...last-year-s-cellar-dwellers-can-be-optimistic

While not current Big East player, just read an article on Jimmy Butler from Marquette (who beat us at the buzzer when there). He's with the Miami Heat in the 'Bubble" and is proving to be quite the entrepreneur. Players could apparently bring a limited number of personal things into the Bubble and Jimmy brought in a French Press Coffee Maker and is selling $20 cups of coffee, regardless of size(cash only-"No IOU's"). How he is making Cappuccino or Macchiato with a French Press is a mystery.

Free pass year it seems;

Ed Cooley says Providence is working with the NCAA on a waiver for Syracuse transfer Brycen Goodine to be immediately eligible. He says he doesn’t think it will be an issue. #PCBB

“If we do have a season it won’t be normal, nor will it be fair. There’s just not enough time for metrics and space, to say we have a fair and even tournament. Whatever we have to do to get the season in, we’ll do.” - Ed Cooley #PCBB

“I do not want to play a basketball season if it’s putting our student-athletes at risk. This virus is serious. If we can’t play, it is what it is.” - Ed Cooley

John Fanta

Last edited by a moderator:
On SH recruiting per Corey Evans

Listen, I get it you want to see progress from your Seton Hall Pirates, whether it comes in the form of on-the-floor success or the talent that is being recruited. However, let’s sit back and appreciate all that Kevin Willard has done for the program. Just five years ago, Willard was often included in various hot seat articles.

But the Big East program has taken off and not only competed for a Big East title practically every year since, but it has also made the NCAA Tournament every year.

Willard has done that with a few recruiting wins, but even more importantly, with his keen eye for finding under-the-radar players. He has the ability to get the best out of his players and invest in their skill development. That is always going to be the ethos of the Seton Hall program as long as Willard is in town, but that doesn’t mean that Rivals150 commitments should not be expected.

Sure, Willard hasn't landed any top 100 players, but let’s not shortchange the Pirates. Tyler Powell and Ryan Conway are both Rivals150 recruits who are culture guys that should have quality college careers. They might not have the cache of the players in Villanova’s top 10 class, but they definitely will be central cogs on future NCAA Tournament teams.

Maybe Seton Hall can strike with Jakai Robinson or Mac Etienne, and I am sure that would satisfy some of your wishes. But either way, the Pirates will remain involved for the ranked three-star or a four-star players every now and again. And if those players do pick Willard’s crew they likely outplay their ranking, thanks to the culture set in place at the Big East program.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...mailbag-kentucky-pitt-indiana-duke-seton-hall

[quote="Paultzman" post=396406]On SH recruiting per Corey Evans

Listen, I get it you want to see progress from your Seton Hall Pirates, whether it comes in the form of on-the-floor success or the talent that is being recruited. However, let’s sit back and appreciate all that Kevin Willard has done for the program. Just five years ago, Willard was often included in various hot seat articles.

But the Big East program has taken off and not only competed for a Big East title practically every year since, but it has also made the NCAA Tournament every year.

Willard has done that with a few recruiting wins, but even more importantly, with his keen eye for finding under-the-radar players. He has the ability to get the best out of his players and invest in their skill development. That is always going to be the ethos of the Seton Hall program as long as Willard is in town, but that doesn’t mean that Rivals150 commitments should not be expected.

Sure, Willard hasn't landed any top 100 players, but let’s not shortchange the Pirates. Tyler Powell and Ryan Conway are both Rivals150 recruits who are culture guys that should have quality college careers. They might not have the cache of the players in Villanova’s top 10 class, but they definitely will be central cogs on future NCAA Tournament teams.

Maybe Seton Hall can strike with Jakai Robinson or Mac Etienne, and I am sure that would satisfy some of your wishes. But either way, the Pirates will remain involved for the ranked three-star or a four-star players every now and again. And if those players do pick Willard’s crew they likely outplay their ranking, thanks to the culture set in place at the Big East program.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...mailbag-kentucky-pitt-indiana-duke-seton-hall[/quote]

usguard says hi

[quote="Moose" post=396407][quote="Paultzman" post=396406]On SH recruiting per Corey Evans

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...mailbag-kentucky-pitt-indiana-duke-seton-hall[/quote]

usguard says hi[/quote]

Very mean spirited response, am crushed

Rothstein

Big East Preseason Power Rankings:

1. Villanova
2. Creighton
3. UConn
4. Providence
5. Seton Hall
6. Xavier
7. Marquette
8. St. John's