Around the Big East

UConn is going to be ranked most years again. Doubt they will ever win a ring again because those days are over, but they are officially very good again. Hurley may be crazy but he gets top recruits in his sleep. Why does he bother getting all these top 50 4 star kids if rankings are meaningless btw? I heard they are meaningless. Depaul has four 4 star recruits in the last few years. I'm still worried about our recruiting and how our style impacts it. But hoping his formula works. Recruiting directly leads to hype and we have none really. There was energy during the Lavin/Mullin years and national press. I know we didn't do well in the spotlight with big expectations, but would be nice to start getting a buzz again with our program. Need to win on the court so we have a chance at getting the better players in the country.

[quote="Rob" post=395158][quote="fordham96" post=395094]UCONN set to land a legit top 50 dhooting gusrd.

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1290285566458642432?s=19[/quote]

Couldn’t tell from the link. Is this referring to Hawkins? I know Seton Hall folks think/thought they were getting him based on the Skinn/DMV connect and they’ve been on him for a long time. If Hurley grabs Hawkins after taking Sanogo there may be a revolt by the Hall faithful.[/quote]

Yes it was Hawkins and UCONN and they landed him today.

Paultzman Wrote:

Breaking down the top recruits committed to the Big East in 2021

247sports.com/college/basketball/recruit...ecruiting-149974478/

Here's hoping St..John's is included the next time Snow falls.

It feels like these other schools are shopping at saks 5th ave while st johns is hitting up the local garage sales hoping the dusty painting from grandmas attic is actually a rembrandt.

Last edited:
[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=395480]It feels like these other schools are shopping at saks 5th ave while st johns is hitting up the local garage sales hoping the dusty painting from grandmas attic is actually a rembrandt.[/quote]

You need a good coach and good recruiting to be successful in the Big East. CMA appears to be a pretty good coach but recruiting would be about a C at this point. Cole, Posh, etc. should be nice but just don't see every 2-3 star kid we get turning into Champ. I think more times than not, the lower rated recruits will play like lower rated recruits. It's no secret recruiting matters and we are ranked last in that. If CMA can't get a 4* in here during his time, he may not get a contract extension. We know recruiting matters and that's why UConn fans are beside themselves right now. A good coach is not enough to make noise at this level. All coaches are pretty good here. But not all are great recruiters. That's what separates us from the rest and why DePaul has been our friend in or near the basement. And even they recruit better.

I don’t recall reading any stories about our basketball team returning to campus. Anyone have information?

[quote="Knight" post=395484]I don’t recall reading any stories about our basketball team returning to campus. Anyone have information?[/quote]

I thought I heard the local kids have been back on campus working out about 2 weeks ago and the kids who had to fly in had to be quarantined for awhile. By now, i believe the whole team should be working together.

I contacted AD Mike Cragg With a couple of questions today and received an answer in a couple of hours.

Rich -

Thanks for the kind word and your support. We actually have men’s a and women’s basketball players on campus along with a number of students in early for quarantine travel purposes. School starts August 24th.

As for workouts - we are in process of working it all out with the state of NY. One day at a time.

Thanks for all!

Mike

Mike Cragg
Director of Athletics
St. John’s University
#ExpectToWin

way to go Mike:
Let's get serious.

The guys been here a year already and he hans't used our track record from the 60s and 70s and 80s with recruits to validate that a great future awaits those who join us..Let's draw a line in the sand now. Forget a contract extension. If this guy can't beat perennial powers like Villanova and Pitino and UCONN to the bunch in the next two years, covid notwithstanding,, he's out of here.

Seton Hall added to its 2021 recruiting class on Saturday, landing a commitment from Tyler Powell, he tells 247Sports.
”I will be going to Seton Hall,” he said.
A 6-foot-5, 190-pound small forward from Los Angeles Ribet Academy, Powell is the 133rd rated prospect in the 247Sports Composite Rankings and chose Seton Hall over schools including Nevada, Pepperdine, UCSB, Washington State, New Mexico, TCU, Stanford and LMU.

Zags

Updated @BIGEASTMBB in 2021 Recruiting per 247

2-Villanova (4 commits)
4-UConn (3)
14- DePaul (3)
17-Georgetown (3)
22-Butler (3)
23-Marquette (2)
24-Seton Hall (2)
46-Xavier (1)
50-Creighton (1)
70-St. John’s (1)

2022 process is well under way and critical for Johnnies to address major roster turnover. Hopefully they close out 21 with some quality & give full attention to 2022 challenge. Kids are committing earlier and earlier in this environment. Big East is obviously a bear of a conference requiring solid recruiting consistently. Imo you can only coach up so many kids and need a solid base of talent if goal is to compete for BE championship.

John Fanta on SJU this season (hopefully)

Intriguing team that will be right in the middle of the logjam. Could be as high as 5, or as low as 9. There’s 5 teams you can say that about. Love Julian Champagnie’s game. Can Vince Cole’s hype translate to results? Also, can SJU close out games? Must improve on that.

[quote="Paultzman" post=395646]Zags

2-Villanova (4 commits)
4-UConn (3)
14- DePaul (3)
17-Georgetown (3)
22-Butler (3)
23-Marquette (2)
24-Seton Hall (2)
46-Xavier (1)
50-Creighton (1)
70-St. John’s (1)

2022 process is well under way and critical for Johnnies to address major roster turnover. Hopefully they close out 21 with some quality & give full attention to 2022 challenge. Kids are committing earlier and earlier in this environment. Big East is obviously a bear of a conference requiring solid recruiting consistently. Imo you can only coach up so many kids and need a solid base of talent if goal is to compete for BE championship.[/quote]

Wow, I know this will change, but 7 teams in the top 25 is insane. If translated to NCAA seeds this would be 2 #1s, 5 other high seeds and 2 teams on the bubble.

[quote="Paultzman" post=395681]John Fanta on SJU this season (hopefully)

Intriguing team that will be right in the middle of the logjam. Could be as high as 5, or as low as 9. There’s 5 teams you can say that about. Love Julian Champagnie’s game. Can Vince Cole’s hype translate to results? Also, can SJU close out games? Must improve on that.[/quote]

To me, st johns season is about 4 guys. Can champy, duke, cole and gwill put the ball in the hoop consistantly. If so, we will be right in the thick of things.

If moore can be big time at the 5 and posh be the true point we need, we can win the big east.

Lots of ducks need to line up here but its not out of the realm of possibility.

[quote="Duke of Earlington" post=395705][quote="Paultzman" post=395681]John Fanta on SJU this season (hopefully)

Intriguing team that will be right in the middle of the logjam. Could be as high as 5, or as low as 9. There’s 5 teams you can say that about. Love Julian Champagnie’s game. Can Vince Cole’s hype translate to results? Also, can SJU close out games? Must improve on that.[/quote]

To me, st johns season is about 4 guys. Can champy, duke, cole and gwill put the ball in the hoop consistantly. If so, we will be right in the thick of things.

If moore can be big time at the 5 and posh be the true point we need, we can win the big east.

Lots of ducks need to line up here but its not out of the realm of possibility.[/quote]

I drink Kool Aid too but winning the Big East?
Nah - I would be over the moon if we finish anywhere in the top half of the league

Back