Around College Basketball

Brent Axe longtime writer at Syracuse Post Standard, syracuse.com, covering SU sports was canned from his local radio talk show for being too overtly negative about SU sports specifically the basketball team recently.

Read this article this morning. The quotes in here are an embarrassment.

I really think Lunardi and the likes sway the committee with their gibberish. I think Rutgers, Clemson, and Vanderbilt was screwed.
I don't know if they sway the committee or not but agree 100% that those three teams got screwed.

This is the year they win because no one is picking them. Unless I pick them, then they get upset by someone.
On j.
Good luck to Penn State. My son goes to Maryland.
I have a lot of dilemma this year . 1 Grandson graduating from Purdue . I grandson at Penn State and granddaughter at Virginia . And , a year away , another Granddaughter entering St John ‘s PA program this coming fall . Hopefully the Johnnies are no worse than a 4 seed next March on Selection Sunday . Let’s go Rick !

Dana Altman calling out his own fan base for not turning out for the NIT game last night vs Wisconsin. Upset, basically said they can fire me.

I think it is a combination of things, when you have had the success Dana has had people just don't care about the NIT. And he is probably worried that the program has begun to flat line the last few years only making the NIT. The fans are starting to get restless and he probably feels he may be on his last legs there.

Dana Altman calling out his own fan base for not turning out for the NIT game last night vs Wisconsin. Upset, basically said they can fire me.

I think it is a combination of things, when you have had the success Dana has had people just don't care about the NIT. And he is probably worried that the program has begun to flat line the last few years only making the NIT. The fans are starting to get restless and he probably feels he may be on his last legs there.

I get it though. For the talent they routinely bring in, Oregon has been relatively disappointing. I suspect we would feel the same way if we recruited the level of players they get and ended up with similar results.

Altman's a good coach, but like Mike Brey at Notre Dame, things have grown stagnant and maybe it's time for a change.

Have been finding it odd that with all the Nike connections there that Oregon doesn't have one of the top NIL pools in the country and are one of the schools in conference limbo with the P12 about to collapse

I feel like Altman may have been on his last legs once before, but rebounded nicely (probably by cheating). But I would need to look at his season-by-season W-L record to see if I'm imagining that.

Let’s be honest. The NIT had its day. No one cares anymore about it. Probably good for player development so probably doesn’t need to go away. However, asking people or students to shell out more money to watch runner up basketball is a tough sell. I don’t know their ticketing policy but how about running some $5 ticket gimmicks and other student based events. I don’t know anything what they do or don’t do but the point is no division one school in today’s day and age is going to support a “consolation tournament” and act like it’s the National Championship. Too many other things going on.

Let’s be honest. The NIT had its day. No one cares anymore about it. Probably good for player development so probably doesn’t need to go away. However, asking people or students to shell out more money to watch runner up basketball is a tough sell. I don’t know their ticketing policy but how about running some $5 ticket gimmicks and other student based events. I don’t know anything what they do or don’t do but the point is no division one school in today’s day and age is going to support a “consolation tournament” and act like it’s the National Championship. Too many other things going on.
Maybe give an incentive like the winner gets auto bid to the big dance the following year. That seems more like a WWE stunt than CBB, but it might pump up a dying tournament.

you guys see Rothstein's post regarding the new NCAA transfer rules? not in a position to link it - but was surprised at one item:

Immediate eligibility will be denied for a 2nd transfer Due to a Coach Change.... thought a coach change would be one of the more obvious items to GRANT eligibility...

Curbelo/Jones fall into that bucket for us... Hopkins/Carter at Prov...

Rumor in Kentucky is that Oscar Tsiebwe, may come back for another year. Making $2mm, this year!!
I guess the positives of the NIL is that 5 star recruits are not going to bolt after a year.

At $2 million a year, free tuition, while playing and improving your game, why not stay four years? No guarantee you make that in the NBA anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe give an incentive like the winner gets auto bid to the big dance the following year. That seems more like a WWE stunt than CBB, but it might pump up a dying tournament.
Not a horrible idea. How about a guaranteed “play in spot” in the next years Tournament unless of course they make it on their own. Sounds a little gimmicky but hey I never thought baseball would have a pitch clock but here we are.

Not a horrible idea. How about a guaranteed “play in spot” in the next years Tournament unless of course they make it on their own. Sounds a little gimmicky but hey I never thought baseball would have a pitch clock but here we are.
Except if a senior laden mid major wins and goes 5-27 the next season do you really want that team in the tournament?

Back