AD Search

Let’s wrap this up and stay in the good graces of Repole post RP era.
This was going to happen eventually. Kull grew up in same neighborhood as Repole. Sat next to a Fordham guy at UBS for Hofstra game and he was surprised it hadn't happened already. The writing was on the was as soon Pitino threw Cragg under the bus on ESPN.

Asking because I genuinely do not know, but how often, if ever, has an AD reached out to the professional athletes that have come through St. John's and actually received a substantial, or any donation? I realize you may not know the answer to this, but thought you, or another poster, might know.
From my four decades there, I know that no former Alumni hoops players donated anything directly to our team. No one ever stepped up and paid for a charter flight, team dinner ect. We we renovated our locker room, we couldn't even get one to donate a Xbox/play station or a boom box for music. One former player did purchase me a therapy unit to travel with but that was around 1994-5. No idea if any AD directly asked for former player donations. Our former player mailing list was kept by myself and shared with Mary Pat Beirne on occasion.

From my four decades there, I know that no former Alumni hoops players donated anything directly to our team. No one ever stepped up and paid for a charter flight, team dinner ect. We we renovated our locker room, we couldn't even get one to donate a Xbox/play station or a boom box for music. One former player did purchase me a therapy unit to travel with but that was around 1994-5. No idea if any AD directly asked for former player donations. Our former player mailing list was kept by myself and shared with Mary Pat Beirne on occasion.
Former basketball plsyers are comped GREAT tickets to men's games, and at times last season we handed out over 100 tickets for a single game. A former player pressed to attend a sold out fund raising golf event, articulating that he really wanted to attend. When tokd they could make room but there was a cost to attend the event, all of a sudden it wasn't important any more.

A tiny number of our athletes made significant money plsying professional sports. The names are obvious - Mullin, Jackson, wennington, Artest, Williams gor basketball. Franco, Viola, Panik in baseball. I kmow i missed a fe
but among the older guys not many amassed a 7 figure contract. A smaller number of athletes have had terrific careers in business.

I guess college athletes are often used to getting and not giving, and im sure many believe that they gave enough by playibg a sport; ebeven if that sport generated no revenue.

Former basketball plsyers are comped GREAT tickets to men's games, and at times last season we handed out over 100 tickets for a single game. A former player pressed to attend a sold out fund raising golf event, articulating that he really wanted to attend. When tokd they could make room but there was a cost to attend the event, all of a sudden it wasn't important any more.

A tiny number of our athletes made significant money plsying professional sports. The names are obvious - Mullin, Jackson, wennington, Artest, Williams gor basketball. Franco, Viola, Panik in baseball. I kmow i missed a fe
but among the older guys not many amassed a 7 figure contract. A smaller number of athletes have had terrific careers in business.

I guess college athletes are often used to getting and not giving, and im sure many believe that they gave enough by playibg a sport; ebeven if that sport generated no revenue.

Harkless made more than most in the new sports economy.

That therapy unit could come in handy on this board

Sad to me when you here about so many from other schools doing what they can to help their alma mater

Actually, I don’t think former athletes have a greater responsibility than any other alumni to donate. Our giving rate in general is somewhere around 6% of alums so to focus on former athletes is too myopic.

Any word on why/how momentum shifted from Diffley, which insiders said would be getting the job?
Insiders were saying he was getting the job? While not an insider, I definitely missed that as I hadn’t heard or read that anywhere.

I know I posted previously basically the only way he would get the job is if we failed to attract anyone who fit the skill set of what we needed during this tumultuous and ever changing time in college athletics. Nothing personal.

Back