AD Search

paultzman

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter

St. John’s Partners with Collegiate Sports Associates

Executive search firm to guide the process for the Red Storm’s Director of Athletics vacancy; Deputy Athletic Director John Diffley to serve as Interim Athletic Director

QUEENS, N.Y. (July 1, 2024) –
St. John’s announced Monday that the University has retained an executive search firm, Collegiate Sports Associates (CSA), to guide the national search process for its Director of Athletics vacancy. Led by Drew Turner, President, CSA will launch a confidential search process that will identify and recruit a premier candidate with the professional profile that aligns with the leadership role.

“Collegiate Sports Associates has been an industry leader with a track record of successful executive searches that are thorough and confidential,” said Joseph Oliva, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. “I look forward to working with Drew, his talented team at CSA, and our search committee to identify the next leader of Red Storm Athletics, who is committed to our mission and possesses the qualities to excel in this role in the changing landscape of collegiate athletics.”

An industry leader in conducting executive searches for Division I AD openings, Collegiate Sports Associates has an extensive list of current and former clients from high major conferences. CSA utilizes industry experts to provide support while its team of industry practitioners manage and direct each search. With over 100 years of combined on-campus experience as Directors of Athletics and senior administrators, CSA’s leadership team has a profound understanding of the differences in culture that exist on campuses around the nation.

CSA recently completed successful executive searches for NCAA Division I athletic directors at Creighton, Ohio State, Butler, and Tulane, among several others. For more information about CSA and to view the position when it is posted, visitCollegiateSportsAssociates.com.

St. John’s Deputy Athletic Director John Diffley, Ed.D. will serve as the athletic department’s interim director while the national search is conducted to find a permanent replacement. Diffley, who has served the University for the last two decades as an administrator and coach, is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Red Storm’s Division I athletic programs. He oversees facility and operations, event management, equipment operations, sports performance, and he is an administrative liaison for head coaches and university leadership.

Hiring a consultant that has experience and expertise in a task in not the problem if you provide them with a detailed scope of what you are looking for, they perform their job right and you have the people in place that can make an informed decision when the consultant provides the end product. I think we have fallen short on the first and last points in the past.

Anton gets a lot of grief but feel he was much better than his predecessor (which might not be saying much) but made some good moves that did help several programs (while basketball is the first and foremost, there are other sports that count also). I don’t think he realizes how big of a job this was based on what needed to be done and the push back, lack of support (monetary included) he was going to face to pull all of the programs into the 21st century.

As I posted earlier in the Mike Cragg thread, he had some successes and failures across the board and also faced some same problems Goff did.

The new AD St. John’s needs has to be a forward out of the box thinking, aggressive, progressive AD who is media savvy and knows how to make use of all available media and technological tools, knows how to market your assets, an expert fundraiser, who has the experience and ability to garner alumni support, and has the ability to navigate the changing structure of college athletics, with not just ideas, but a plan and strategy to accomplish all of his/her goals to enhance all facilities and the overall experience of our athletes and fans. It’s a tall order, but that is what is required.

I was hoping they would do a national search and am hopeful this will be a true one not just a shame and the right candidates are presented to the decision makers. Then it is up to them to make the right call. The right call might be Kull or someone else in the area (not the current acting AD) who fits the bill or it might be from somewhere else but it must be the right call.

Last edited:
Remember:
Titrw, tww & tsjw
Twin Peaks Thumbs Up GIF

Hiring a consultant that has experience and expertise in a task in not the problem if you provide them with a detailed scope of what you are looking for, they perform their job right and you have the people in place that can make an informed decision when the consultant provides the end product. I think we have fallen short on the first and last points in the past.

Anton gets a lot of grief but feel he was much better than his predecessor (which might not be saying much) but made some good moves that did help several programs (while basketball is the first and foremost, there are other sports that count also). I don’t think he realizes how big of a job this was based on what needed to be done and the push back, lack of support (monetary included) he was going to face to pull all of the programs into the 21st century.

As I posted earlier in the Mike Cragg thread, he had some successes and failures across the board and also faced some same problems Goff did.

The new AD St. John’s needs has to be a forward out of the box thinking, aggressive, progressive AD who is media savvy and knows how to make use of all available media and technological tools, knows how to market your assets, an expert fundraiser, who has the experience and ability to garner alumni support, and has the ability to navigate the changing structure of college athletics, with not just ideas, but a plan and strategy to accomplish all of his/her goals to enhance all facilities and the overall experience of our athletes and fans. It’s a tall order, but that is what is required.

I was hoping they would do a national search and am hopeful this will be a true one not just a shame and the right candidates are presented to the decision makers. Then it is up to them to make the right call. The right call might be Kull or someone else in the area (not the current acting AD) who fits the bill or it might be from somewhere else but it must be the right call.
They’re only few firms that specialize, Daniel Parker is one. My only take is if Oliva running the search, then it’s a retained search if you’re already picking Ed Kull ( I think would do a great job) you’re throwing away 10-15k ( most likely Father Stanley would have to overrule) . If they do pick anyone else 80-100k.

When they chose Goff it was a hail mary because no one wanted the job at the salary they paid and Goff checked a few.boxes. it turned out to be a horrible hire that lasted one year. The recent history here is that the men's basketball coach doesn't report to the AD so right away the AD has little control of the one revenue producing sport. In the end Oliva, Shanley, Pitino, and Janetschek will control all major decisions and I don't know of a competent high level candidate whowould want to come here and operate under those circumstances and operate with diminished authority where everything major goes above him or her. My understanding is Kull would take the job in a heartbeat which may actually be a lateral salary move for him if not a decrease.

Back