AD Search

Hope Ed gets the job, good guy. Can raise money for the other sports. Do not know why the board wasted 15k on a retained search. Should have given our board the money.
Other sports? It's a basketball run school. He should primarily be focusing on that and getting us real facilities. Why dally so much with the others, leave that to the assistants. The more time we waste doing other things, the more things won't change around here. We have a Hall of Fame coach and crappy facilities . Don't squander these Pitino years or we aren't getting back there ever again. I hope Ed understands this.

Other sports? It's a basketball run school. He should primarily be focusing on that and getting us real facilities. Why dally so much with the others, leave that to the assistants. The more time we waste doing other things, the more things won't change around here. We have a Hall of Fame coach and crappy facilities . Don't squander these Pitino years or we aren't getting back there ever again. I hope Ed understands this.
He’s the athletic director not the basketball director. Just like any business who has clients some will get a different amount of time spent based on the clients needs.

I agree go all in on basketball while Pitino is here. There’s no guarantee after he leaves that there will still be this level of support. Upgrade as much as possible and give the next guy a chance to keep it going.

Zach: "For those asking about St. John's/Ed Kull update. yes, it feels like a good chance of happening - the two sides are talking and he has interviewed -- but no, it is not done yet. Job drew a lot of interest, from AD's at VCU, Stony Brook and Hofstra, among others."

Last part made me lol

Job drew a lot of interest, from AD's at VCU, Stony Brook and Hofstra, among others."

Last part made me lol
Would love it if we swung for the fences and were first looking at someone high up the athletics food chain at Stanford or Texas. But once the search became realistic and hit the local level there really was no point in looking beyond Kull.

But I will add that the VCU AD probably knows what to look for in a basketball coach. And that hiring the Hofstra AD would probably mean Speedy coaching here in five years, which I'd be good with.

He’s the athletic director not the basketball director. Just like any business who has clients some will get a different amount of time spent based on the clients needs.
We have 360 varsity D1 athletes covering 16 men's and women's teams. Some of them, like fencing have had phenomenal athletes and even some Olympic medalists. Others like men's and women's soccer have produced professional stars. Our baseball team alone has put a ton of guys into the minors and many into mlb and historically has perhaps been the best Big East program.

This is a big job, and Ed will have his hands full in pursuit of excellence. Good luck to him and he will need our support.

Ed is being hired to helps Rick have/get more resources in order to win. This hire very much mattered to Rick and Father Stanley. My point too is that he’s a guy that can also raise money for the other sports as well. I have been told he’s done great at Fordham. Lacrosse I feel could be helped.

Ed is being hired to helps Rick have/get more resources in order to win. This hire very much mattered to Rick and Father Stanley. My point too is that he’s a guy that can also raise money for the other sports as well. I have been told he’s done great at Fordham. Lacrosse I feel could be helped.
In this $ laden and competitive sports era if you are not an excellent fund raiser you will be unemployed.

In this $ laden and competitive sports era if you are not an excellent fund raiser you will be unemployed.
Completely true and those are the informed rumblings i hear. The disparity here is the differences in a jeauit donor base and st johns, and that sju has a revenue producing sport and overall more sthletic success. Ed has a lot of frienda at sju from his previous tenure, is well liked, and knows this landscape. And unlike.many potential candidates i believe this is an attractive job for him.

Zach: "For those asking about St. John's/Ed Kull update. yes, it feels like a good chance of happening - the two sides are talking and he has interviewed -- but no, it is not done yet. Job drew a lot of interest, from AD's at VCU, Stony Brook and Hofstra, among others."

Last part made me lol
Hofstra (Rick Cole) like Eddie has SJU ties.
VCU AD is good as well. Solid choices IMO

We have 360 varsity D1 athletes covering 16 men's and women's teams. Some of them, like fencing have had phenomenal athletes and even some Olympic medalists. Others like men's and women's soccer have produced professional stars. Our baseball team alone has put a ton of guys into the minors and many into mlb and historically has perhaps been the best Big East program.

This is a big job, and Ed will have his hands full in pursuit of excellence. Good luck to him and he will need our support.
Asking because I genuinely do not know, but how often, if ever, has an AD reached out to the professional athletes that have come through St. John's and actually received a substantial, or any donation? I realize you may not know the answer to this, but thought you, or another poster, might know.

Asking because I genuinely do not know, but how often, if ever, has an AD reached out to the professional athletes that have come through St. John's and actually received a substantial, or any donation? I realize you may not know the answer to this, but thought you, or another poster, might know.
Jason Williams was always generous with his time and money at one time.

Lord knows Lacrosse needs all the help it can get!!!

Back