2024-25 Season

I doubt the "lost time" makes much difference.
Disagree. If that were the case then coaches wouldn’t put such an emphasis on the summer sessions.

Lefty and Prey needed this more than anyone to acclimate to the American game. It also wouldn’t hurt to have an extra 6-8 weeks of lifting since they don’t appear to do much of that in Euro basketball.

Disagree. If that were the case then coaches wouldn’t put such an emphasis on the summer sessions.

Lefty and Prey needed this more than anyone to acclimate to the American game. It also wouldn’t hurt to have an extra 6-8 weeks of lifting since they don’t appear to do much of that in Euro basketball.
If they were planned to play a huge role I would agree but I don’t expect them to especially in the beginning. Prey might get limited minutes due to foul trouble up front but I expect them to go small more often.

“Bucketshardy was waiting for him at the airport. One man greeting committee. 😉😊

I am glad we had someone there to pick him up to prevent a long ago previous mishap involving a big man arriving at JFK.
Hopefully Prey didn’t mind riding in a rickshaw.

If they were planned to play a huge role I would agree but I don’t expect them to especially in the beginning. Prey might get limited minutes due to foul trouble up front but I expect them to go small more often.
Prey was our starting center IMO. I think this tilts the scale in Zuby’s favor.

Zuby will have a massive edge with a year under Pitino. Some of that could have been mitigated with an early arrival for Prey.

Center is going to be by committee for sure but I see Prey as the least center-like of the bunch. We luckily have plenty of height now with our smallest guy at 6’8” or so and a couple of 7-footers. I think we will play a lot of “small-ball” with guys like Zuby and Prey at the 4/5 j interchangeably to give us speed amongst starting 5, and plenty of games where we will need Zuby or Prey at 4 and Iwuchukwu and maybe some limited time for Maker at the 5 to give us height and shot blocking ability against teams with height. The only pure 5 on this team is Iwu. The rest can be mixed and matched. I think Iwuchukwu being a bit undersold. If he’s fully healthy he’s big and very athletic and definitely will give us a defensive advantage against quite a few teams in the post.

Even though I don’t think Vince starts, I think best matchup could be with him paired with RJ & scott, then Prey, zuby & Dunlap in 2nd unit

Last edited:
Center is going to be by committee for sure but I see Prey as the least center-like of the bunch. We luckily have plenty of height now with our smallest guy at 6’8” or so and a couple of 7-footers. I think we will play a lot of “small-ball” with guys like Zuby and Prey at the 4/5 j interchangeably to give us speed amongst starting 5, and plenty of games where we will need Zuby or Prey at 4 and Iwuchukwu and maybe some limited time for Maker at the 5 to give us height and shot blocking ability against teams with height. The only pure 5 on this team is Iwu. The rest can be mixed and matched. I think Iwuchukwu being a bit undersold. If he’s fully healthy he’s big and very athletic and definitely will give us a defensive advantage against quite a few teams in the post.
I agree completely, except that I can't see Maker at any other position than center.

Imo, the key or at very least a prime one to SJ success this year; orchestrator, tough as nails, pass first mentality & born leader;

Really think people are underestimating how electric and effective that backcourt of Richmond, Smith and Wilcher will be.
Off the top of my 60 year career of watching SJU hard to think of one that these guys can’t exceed.

Back