2024-25 Season

Andrew

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
I didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to share some of my thoughts and wasn't sure of the best place to do it. I am little tired from the last week so if they aren't 100 percent coherent I apologize.

2023-24 was a great season for me. I got back to watching SJU in person. I reconnected with many friends and spent time with many posters. The BET was awesome. Besides sitting with guys from this forum, I saw two great games. I talked to fans from different teams and we played great. We didn't make it to the NCAA's but that is ok. The sky isn't falling and we are a program on the rise.

I was hoping to go to Dayton to see us play. Not at all excited to visit Dayton though.

I won a small amount of money on the Big 10 Finals and I am saving that money to see us win our first tournament game in person next year just like I saw us play our first BET semifinal game in 24 years this year.

If anyone knows of a good NCAA Tournament pool for $. Please PM me. I will also participate in the Redfans one if that is still in existence.

I will root for UCONN, Marquette and Creighton and hope they make the Big East proud. We will do the same next season.

I want to hear everything about who is returning next season and who is interested in joining the team. That's it for now as it relates to SJU.

I am gearing up for baseball season and the Mets. No expectations and cheaper tickets on the secondary market are refreshing.

The staff better figure out next years schedule and play some better teams. DePaul,will still suck next year, GTown might improve a bit, but no more Michigans and BC…schedule some darn teams that can sniff the NCAA’s. And no more games at UBS arena. Either the Garden or Carnesecca. At least next years Baha Mar tourney has 3 NCAA teams in it in Baylor, Tennessee and Virginia. Let’s get back into Coaches vs Cancer and other better tournaments. Enough with the Anderson cup 🧁 cakes…

The staff better figure out next years schedule and play some better teams. DePaul,will still suck next year, GTown might improve a bit, but no more Michigans and BC…schedule some darn teams that can sniff the NCAA’s. And no more games at UBS arena. Either the Garden or Carnesecca. At least next years Baha Mar tourney has 3 NCAA teams in it in Baylor, Tennessee and Virginia. Let’s get back into Coaches vs Cancer and other better tournaments. Enough with the Anderson cup 🧁 cakes…
Michigan was well-intended, to be fair. They were expected to be much better than they were. Even West Viriginia probably would not have fallen so far, if Huggins had been able to control himself. Utah looked like a very good team, until the last few weeks.

Also, for many years, we were not a very attractive opponent to other teams. We didn't boost the metrics much, but were usually good enough to potentially pull a shocker, so good teams tended to go elsewhere, when scheduling games.

As you know, the early season tournaments are usually booked 2 years in advance, so that's really a guessing game, in figuring out how good it will eventually be.

The staff didn’t choose Michigan or West Virginia, both were conference challenges. Bad luck on our end that they ended up being bad.

I think the scheduling miscue was having Fordham and Hofstra.this year. I think Pitino thought there would be more juice in those games than there was. Both are fine cupcakes but nothing more & should be played on campus

Get Indiana on the schedule, they will draw a crowd to MSG. Not playing Duke next year but what about UNC or Maryland. Pittsburgh over BC. How about an SEC school like Auburn or Tennessee. I know we’re playing Bama next year. Preseason tourneys 2 yrs in advance, I get that. How about Fairfield or Yale.

The dust has settled. Everyone knows what happened yesterday was a crock. However lets look at things positively..... We won 20 games this season won 12 (13?) big east games. St. Johns was mentioned on the tournament show. Year one Rick has took us from the scrap heap to relevance. One game shy of the big east tourny. This is winning season against strong teams.

Now lets follow the bouncing ball in the portal. Zuby, wilcher, ,brady, traore, rj luis is now our foundation. Last year our foundation was Soriano. Nothing against Soriano, but we now have a bigger better foundation.

While always wanting to play and beat Great teams in the OOC... it's all for naught if they falter the rest of the season...

But what we can do that will most certainly Help us... don't go 1-7 vs the Top 4 BE teams..... win some Conference Games that hold weight!

The staff didn’t choose Michigan or West Virginia, both were conference challenges. Bad luck on our end that they ended up being bad.

I think the scheduling miscue was having Fordham and Hofstra.this year. I think Pitino thought there would be more juice in those games than there was. Both are fine cupcakes but nothing more & should be played on campus
Totally agree. However, queue the usual suspects (Iona, Fordham, Stony Brook etc.) with the chorus that St. John’s doesn’t want to play us! 😂

Hi, Do we know the dates of Baha Mar Tournament and how many guaranteed games ?

Oh well. Time to move the focus to next year’s squad.

Sure sounds like RP will be working the portal hard. I hope no one leaves because some continuity is important. I think it hurt us early on as we tried to meld together.Of course that is probably not realistic as someone will seek a better situation. Looking to forward to the free agency (er transfer window) as he shapes next years team.

Michigan was well-intended, to be fair. They were expected to be much better than they were. Even West Viriginia probably would not have fallen so far, if Huggins had been able to control himself. Utah looked like a very good team, until the last few weeks.

Also, for many years, we were not a very attractive opponent to other teams. We didn't boost the metrics much, but were usually good enough to potentially pull a shocker, so good teams tended to go elsewhere, when scheduling games.

As you know, the early season tournaments are usually booked 2 years in advance, so that's really a guessing game, in figuring out how good it will eventually be.
Exactly it is not fair to criticize when some of the teams just did not have the years they were projected. You can't change that in mid-season.

And some of these matchups like West Virginia are not in SJU's hands. That is the Big12/BE not SJU.

And they are in a terrific exempt tourney next year with Baylor, Virginia and Tennessee.

And Coach tried to schedule Duke as well.

Exactly it is not fair to criticize when some of the teams just did not have the years they were projected. You can't change that in mid-season.

And some of these matchups like West Virginia are not in SJU's hands. That is the Big12/BE not SJU.

And they are in a terrific exempt tourney next year with Baylor, Virginia and Tennessee.

And Coach tried to schedule Duke as well.

Give me Virginia. I want to beat those frauds by 50 for making the tourney this year when they absolutely suck.

I think we should play all the locals at their place every year, especially if we get supposed bonus points for road victories.

I think we can play five locals if the other five games are big name opponents.

I wish we’d made the tournament. That being said…does anybody doubt that Rick Pitino is going to be obsessed with making this program better next season? The man doesn’t tolerate sustained failure. We know he has the ability and I certainly don’t doubt his motivation. I’m genuinely excited for next season and the future of the program which is something I’ve usually had to talk myself into over the past decade.

Back