2024-25 Rankings

I know there was an answer for this last year but in his projections game by game he has us going 14-6 and 23-7
His projected records are based off the percentages not the raw numbers. For example if he gave a team a 51% chance to win each of their 30 games that team's projected record would still be 15-15 or 16-14 not 30-0

Preseason ranks mean little.
Good to see how close we are to being ranked. Just 2 upsets in the first week and we'd be ranked as long as we SJU doesn't slip up.
Better than being say #35-#40, and having to wait weeks to become ranked.

Rankings really doesn't matter right now but it would still be good to see a # next to sju.

We were never ranked last year, correct?

rankings matter.... more on this later.
If rankings don’t matter- then a lot of people would be out business.

Our scrimmage vs #25 Rutgers wouldn’t have the same buzz

I get that come March- pre-season numbers mean shit… but to get those “key wins”- those teams need have a number by them… and those numbers start with Pre-season rankings.

I personally wanted a number by our name.

3 blow outs and then curb stomp New mex… we’ll have a number for the Bahamas.

Understood Tom, but they gave the Mountain West, a football conference 6 bids and those teams were not as good as the Big East teams that did not get selected

The Mountain West also had a good OOC pre season with a bunch of what appeared to be great wins, I think many of them ended up not being so. This artifically inflated a lot of their rankings early and that kind of trend is hard to reverse once a bunch of them are ranked and then every conference win seems like a big one.

The Mountain West also had a good OOC pre season with a bunch of what appeared to be great wins, I think many of them ended up not being so. This artifically inflated a lot of their rankings early and that kind of trend is hard to reverse once a bunch of them are ranked and then every conference win seems like a big one.

I'm off for indigenous people's day so here's my mea culpa, they didn't get there with upsets, they got there with POS OOC schedules leading to high rankings early which made every win a quality win, especially on the road.

SD State got to 12-2 with wins against St Mary's and Gonzaga
Utah State got to 14-1 though not a difficult schedule
NM got to 11-1 again not a tough schedule
Nevada was 14-1

Boise St and UNLV had no place being in the tourney but got wins over the above team that were treated as high quality wins.

STJ had 1 quality win and one good win all season per RPI metrics. The BE was undervalued because their teams played high quality OOC's for the most part and therefore suffered more losses effecting their rankings going into conference play.

KenPom rankings have dropped. SJU 19th.

KenPom 19
BartTorvik 16
Haslametrics 54
EvanMiya 34

KP Projecting a 21-9 record (missing the 2nd Bahamas game) and 12-8 in the Big East
Just to add too, here's the rest of the Big East, per Kenpom:
#5 UCONN
#12 Creighton
#20 Villanova (?)
#22 Marquette
#30 Xavier (before the injury news)
#60 Providence
#83 Butler
#88 Georgetown
#91 Seton Hall
#166 DePaul

And, our non-conference foes:
#11 Baylor
#13 Tennessee
#49 Kansas St.
#62 New Mexico
#67 Georgia
#78 Virginia
#145 Bryant
#164 Fordham
#193 Quinnipiac
#244 Delaware
#259 Harvard (thought they might be higher)
#269 Wagner

Rutgers should not be ranked. They are completely relying on both freshmen (talented as they are) to carry the team immediately & dominate. The AP never gives us the benefit of doubt. We don’t help ourselves seemingly losing every big time OOC matchup in big letdowns or turning out to be overhyped, but we aren’t a big name so we get ignored & have to force our way in. But Rutgers has proven nothing. Idk if I’ve ever seen 2 freshmen so hyped up. For a traditionally poor program to boot. A lot could go wrong with all this pressure & 2 inexperienced freshmen playing much older teams. But somehow they get benefit of doubt before us. Rutgers. I will be rooting against them.

For once it would be nice to have our time in sun & stay in T25 a while. Many say it doesn’t matter but I’m sorry it does. Exposure on ESPN with highlights every game, recruiting, fans will come out more, etc.

I know a lot of us, myself included, lost some interest in the rankings with how last season ended. The Committee underrated us relative to nearly every mock bracket out there. Not even making the First Four OUT when Vegas gave us nearly 2:1 odds to make it on Selection Sunday was unacceptable. Our #32 NET ranking wasn't enough and there wasn't a logical reason why certain teams were placed ahead of us.

It sucked, but truth is we were a bubble team with some big flaws on our resume. This year we simply can't be on the bubble. There can't be any doubt that we're a Tournament team, which there shouldn't be given how stacked our roster is. Just play to expectations and the only question on Selection Sunday will be which seed we'll be.

Now, obviously the AP Polls are (mostly) meaningless outside of publicity, but we have a pretty good shot at being ranked in the AP Top 25 tomorrow (something that hasn't happened for us in decades preseason). Four ballots I've found so far (more will release today):

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Thompson): #15

Connecticut Post (Borges): #17

CBS Sports (Rothstein): #24

Nevada Sports (Murray): NR

These early results are a lot better than last year's preseason, when we landed just outside the rankings. Last year we were mostly just receiving some votes around #24-25... now we're receiving substantial votes in the teens. Again, it doesn't mean much until we start playing, but it does say a lot about how good we should be.
I’ve lost all interest preseason polls. Last year we were trying to force it. We were squinting to see a good team that just wasn’t there.

This year I have no doubts whatsoever, so I am not worried at all. Pitino has the horses to play his style. That’s all that matters. We couldn’t press an over-55 rec team last season.

I’ve lost all interest preseason polls. Last year we were trying to force it. We were squinting to see a good team that just wasn’t there.

This year I have no doubts whatsoever, so I am not worried at all. Pitino has the horses to play his style. That’s all that matters. We couldn’t press an over-55 rec team last season.
That's actually similar to how I feel about this year and other years. I'm a lot more excited about seeing the games played since I think we should be very competitive (relative to any team in the nation) and end up being ranked. While in other years, I wanted to see other national writers show optimism in our team so I can feel better about it.

Just to add too, here's the rest of the Big East, per Kenpom:
#5 UCONN
#12 Creighton
#20 Villanova (?)
#22 Marquette
#30 Xavier (before the injury news)
#60 Providence
#83 Butler
#88 Georgetown
#91 Seton Hall
#166 DePaul

And, our non-conference foes:
#11 Baylor
#13 Tennessee
#49 Kansas St.
#62 New Mexico
#67 Georgia
#78 Virginia
#145 Bryant
#164 Fordham
#193 Quinnipiac
#244 Delaware
#259 Harvard (thought they might be higher)
#269 Wagner
That really sucked for Marquette. One unlucky team these past 2 seasons.

We have a believer

Guy did his research on St. John’s- nice in depth summary.
Starts with The loss of important starters & rotation players ,
But I agree too aggressive. A lot of talent for Rick to mesh.
I think more like 20-25 to start season & 10-15 by season end (I hope)

Back