2024-25 Rankings

Not to bust your chops but the 32 post season was as meaningless as the pre 28. As for the tournament, I have posted before, the NcAA has multiple nebulous criteria the same reason college admission offices do, so they can select who they damn well please.
I’ve said this previously and I stand by it. Last season was not an aberration. The Power 5 conferences control this now more than ever. They will look for every reason to keep a non power conference team from getting an at large bid if they can. Any Big East team that’s not ranked to end the season will not make the tournament. The Big East has kill it out of conference and get as many teams ranked as possible.

I’ve said this previously and I stand by it. Last season was not an aberration. The Power 5 conferences control this now more than ever. They will look for every reason to keep a non power conference team from getting an at large bid if they can. Any Big East team that’s not ranked to end the season will not make the tournament. The Big East has kill it out of conference and get as many teams ranked as possible.
Yup critical to get off well & avoid those traditional holes we find ourselves in seemingly forever.

Is / was the mountain west a a power 5 conference?

No but they do play FBS football.

Me personally, I feel last year was the perfect storm and we did not do enough to get in. Pick the BC loss, the second Hall lost or a few others where we were there and couldn’t finish it out. Win one of those and things might have been different. Win two of those, and we are not having this conservation.

Last edited:
The treatment of the NCAA towards the BE was not St. John’s centric. To treat it as such is missing the point IMO because one cannot make an argument that holds water for SJU, SHU and Providence to all have not made it. The bottom line as I see it is that the BE, as the by far most powerful non- D1 football basketball conference, is in the crosshairs of the P5 or 4, which is in reality, the SEC and B10; the NCAA is really just a front for them now, at least for the time being.

Michigan, Seton Hall twice, BC. That was the ticket

KenPom rankings have dropped. SJU 19th.

KenPom 19
BartTorvik 16
Haslametrics 54
EvanMiya 34

KP Projecting a 21-9 record (missing the 2nd Bahamas game) and 12-8 in the Big East
I know there was an answer for this last year but in his projections game by game he has us going 14-6 and 23-7

Losing to Seton Hall twice, Michigan by a landslide and BC at the Garden sure gives you a piece of shit metric, one that was nowhere near deserving of a bid.
Our problem last year is we didn’t beat any team that made it to the NCAA with an at large bid with the exception of Creighton. Unfortunately our best games came in close but ultimately losing efforts.

We can gripe all we want but when the committee decided SHU who had a better record than us beat us 2 of 3 and had the Nation’s best win when they absolutely dismantled UConn didn’t get in we had no chance.

As expected the Big East dominated the tournament and teams like SHU and St. John’s were left to wonder why on earth anyone who watched any basketball thought the Big 12 or Mountain West were any good.

The good news is there will be an over correction this year and the bubble will break the Big East way. I think we could get 6 in this year. Preseason rankings be damned.

No the MW does not fit the big east is going to be screwed for eternity narrative (MW also gets less football & basketball revenue on their tv deal than big east schools.) The fact is SHu was royally screwed last year and we caught the short end too. The committee embarrassed itself with its MW and Big 12 selections. They won’t want to do that again and it will swing back our way this year (only to swing back the other way in the future if the big east performs poorly).

The SEC and Big 10 are miles ahead of every other conference in influence. They may get the benefit of the doubt in the future as their alliance takes more and more control, but the MW, Big 12, ACC they are stuck playing second fiddle like the rest of us.

Back