2022 Mets

Only half our lineup carried this team through the year, and they were physically and mentally drained.

Nimmo, Marte, Lindor, Alonso and McNeil were the only bats in the lineup all year...C, 3B, LF and DH, outside of a few micro bursts, were wastelands of offensive production. Those positions include traditional power and production, of which we received none...maybe Baty and Alvarez provide some answers next year, but we need a thumper...

Interesting point on ESPN radio, didn't know who was speaking, do you put $40mm a year into deGrom for 25? starts, couple of DL stints, or were you better off putting that $40mm into Juan Soto or the next Juan Soto for a proven bat for 140+ games per year...?
This offseason is going to be a real challenge. I am glad I am not the Front Office. Even with a $300 million payroll it's not going to be easy. We still have money owed to Cano. The Braves have so many good players signed at reasonable salaries.

If think they were either talking about or meant Scherzer whose contract is worth over $40M per year.
No, it was in the context of re-signing deGrom...and from a macro point of view, is it worth signing any pitcher to a huge contract when they are easily injured and impact a small fraction of the games an every day player can impact...it was a pretty interesting point.

For example, if we are spending an additional $40mm this off season, do you re-sign deGrom, or add an every day bat like Judge? Can only have one.

No, it was in the context of re-signing deGrom...and from a macro point of view, is it worth signing any pitcher to a huge contract when they are easily injured and impact a small fraction of the games an every day player can impact...it was a pretty interesting point.

For example, if we are spending an additional $40mm this off season, do you re-sign deGrom, or add an every day bat like Judge? Can only have one.
While I appreciate all Jake has done, he turns 35 next June and more than a 3 year deal is too risky for a pitcher with his injuries. In the last 3 years he has started 38 games and pitched a total 224 innings in those 3 years combined. In the 3 years prior(2017-19) he averaged 207 innings per. I wonder if he needs to make some changes in his delivery. As to Baty/Alvarez, I am not convinced next year they will blossom into Major leaguers next year. I would not bank on it but consider an improvement in their Major League performance a bonus for 2023.
Looking back at the Davis/Ruf trade, that was probably the worst deal of 2022. Ruf hasn't shown much in his career; hopefully not a long term contract situation.
Vogelbach is a conundrum. He had his best hitting year with the Mets (was it Buck and the coaches?). Will he get any better? Will he lose weight so he doesn't clog the basepads--seeing him go 1st to 3rd (or 2nd to home) was a rarity?

Got it. FWIW, my team has an ace signed through 2028 at $36M per year (we bided against ourselves at that price) it appears the minute something goes wrong or a
little off (including any type of delay) he unravels.

BrooklynRed, one thing to remember about Baty and Alvarez is they are cost controlled (CHEAP). They may not start in the ML but they are coming. Mets will need to spend big on their own or other free agents. They have a number of free agents and some will be re-signed. They will need replacements for those that don’t.

Voglebach is a FA and I’d be surprised/disappointed if he’s still here. He didn’t hit great. Has no position or versatility. If he hit 30 HRs he’d be an option. He doesn’t.

As old as they are, Jake and Max are high level competitors. We need them not only on the field but also in the clubhouse. They have a plethora of knowledge to expound to not only other pitchers, but also the hitters. I think that we need to resign both of them. We also need to resign McNeil and Escobar. Lindor is already in the fold. Cahna is an asset as is Nido. Nimmo is a must! I think that Nimmo has the potential to be one of the best center fielders in the game. We should also keep Guillorme and Marte. Goodbye to Vogs, Ruf, McCann and Naquin. Ottavino was unreliable and Smith was so so. Givens and Lugo proved themselves ( yes Bill, I changed my mind about Givens). Peterson is too versatile to let go. The rest of the pitching staff is a tossup. Carrasco is a streaky pitcher. Taijuan is streaky as well. Of course we keep Diaz and Megill. Alvarez and Baty are our future. Gore was a very productive bench player with his legs.
That's my after season team assessment. We need hitters!!!

We need a veteran leader who can whip these guys into shape when they start limping.
Max is that kind of guy but he's still a pitcher and position players need a position player to look up to.

We need a veteran leader who can whip these guys into shape when they start limping.
Max is that kind of guy but he's still a pitcher and position players need a position player to look up to.
Makes you appreciate what Keith Hernandez really meant to that ‘86 team.

Season ended when the Braves swept us. I made my peace with it that Sunday. So sick of this crap.

Got a lot of Free agents this year including Diaz, Jake, Bassitt, Carasco, Walker, May, Nimmo, Givens, Ottavino, Williams, Lugo, Naquin, Vogelbach.
Technically Mike Conforto is a Met's free agent. Maybe he should have taken the $100M deal prior to 2021 season or even the $18M qualifiying offer for this season. Boras cost him some big bucks and who knows if his injury will ever heal.

Since the season is over, maybe we need to start a new thread--Met's Hot Stove 22-23

Givens, Naquin, Vogelbach send packing.
Diaz and Nimmo are the priorities.
I honestly don't know what to do about Jake.
The rest I'd like to keep especially Cookie and Walker if I can and there aren't better options I can afford.

I believe they still owe Robinson Cano 20 million and McCann 12 million when we can get by with Alvarez and NIdo for just over 2 million. That's another 30 million that we could really use.

Lots can happen but right now I slate Alvarez in at DH. We are stuck with McCann at catcher unless they DFA him like Cano.

Got a lot of Free agents this year including Diaz, Jake, Bassitt, Carasco, Walker, May, Nimmo, Givens, Ottavino, Williams, Lugo, Naquin, Vogelbach.
Technically Mike Conforto is a Met's free agent. Maybe he should have taken the $100M deal prior to 2021 season or even the $18M qualifiying offer for this season. Boras cost him some big bucks and who knows if his injury will ever heal.

Since the season is over, maybe we need to start a new thread--Met's Hot Stove 22-23
Of all these free agents, I think the priorities are #1 Diaz (the best closer in baseball) #2 Nimmo (who is becoming the best center fielder in baseball) and #3 Jake (who still has a few years of excellent pitching in him).

Back