World Cup Question

[quote="Class of 72" post=287047][quote="Redman#13" post=286816][quote="mjmaherjr" post=286800][quote="Andrew" post=286767][quote="Redman#13" post=286672]Hey Maher,

Decent comp! I fully expect Peru to advance in second place within their Group. France being first.[/quote]

Pulling for Maher and Peru but after France this is a wide open group. Would be great if they can get a result in the first match.[/quote] Thanks ! Interesting stat. Peru is 9-0-4 in their last 13 games. Foquita played well last night so hopefully their confidence continues without Guerrero

Gareca is a great coach for them. Next friendly is sunday against Saudi Arabia then I think the last one is against Sweden before complete mayhem starts in Peru for World Cup Fever[/quote]

BIG NEWS out of Switzerland! Guerrero has been cleared to play! Huge for Peru.[/quote]

It is good news because Peru are in a tough group. France may be a semifinal team while Denmark is underrated imo. Peru have a good chance to reach the round of 16 if they beat Denmark and they must win against Australia on June 26th.
Of course the final could be a classic if the two favorites, Germany and Brazil, meet again.
Hopefully the interest in the competition will not decrease in the States after we failed to qualify.
Even more disappointing for the paesans here is Italy's failure to reach a World Cup finals for the first time in 60 years.
Robert Mueller should be hired by the Italian Football Federation to investigate WTF happened.[/quote] Peru's first game I'll still be in New York. Anyone know any good places to watch the world cup preferably not more than 20 minutes from Huntington ? So far my friends are saying " The Main Event " in Farmingdale. It's a 12pm saturday game

[quote="mjmaherjr" post=287054][quote="Class of 72" post=287047][quote="Redman#13" post=286816][quote="mjmaherjr" post=286800][quote="Andrew" post=286767][quote="Redman#13" post=286672]Hey Maher,

Decent comp! I fully expect Peru to advance in second place within their Group. France being first.[/quote]

Pulling for Maher and Peru but after France this is a wide open group. Would be great if they can get a result in the first match.[/quote] Thanks ! Interesting stat. Peru is 9-0-4 in their last 13 games. Foquita played well last night so hopefully their confidence continues without Guerrero

Gareca is a great coach for them. Next friendly is sunday against Saudi Arabia then I think the last one is against Sweden before complete mayhem starts in Peru for World Cup Fever[/quote]

BIG NEWS out of Switzerland! Guerrero has been cleared to play! Huge for Peru.[/quote]

It is good news because Peru are in a tough group. France may be a semifinal team while Denmark is underrated imo. Peru have a good chance to reach the round of 16 if they beat Denmark and they must win against Australia on June 26th.
Of course the final could be a classic if the two favorites, Germany and Brazil, meet again.
Hopefully the interest in the competition will not decrease in the States after we failed to qualify.
Even more disappointing for the paesans here is Italy's failure to reach a World Cup finals for the first time in 60 years.
Robert Mueller should be hired by the Italian Football Federation to investigate WTF happened.[/quote] Peru's first game I'll still be in New York. Anyone know any good places to watch the world cup preferably not more than 20 minutes from Huntington ? So far my friends are saying " The Main Event " in Farmingdale. It's a 12pm saturday game[/quote]

That's a good choice. If you were doing a Peruvian lunch I would say La Candela in Hicksville on south Broadway. I've had lunch there when I bring my Subaru for service across the street. However it is not a bar but a restaurant but pretty sure the atmosphere will be all about soccer as they always have a game on anytime I've been there.

[quote="Class of 72" post=287173][quote="mjmaherjr" post=287054][quote="Class of 72" post=287047][quote="Redman#13" post=286816][quote="mjmaherjr" post=286800][quote="Andrew" post=286767][quote="Redman#13" post=286672]Hey Maher,

Robert Mueller should be hired by the Italian Football Federation to investigate WTF happened.[/quote] Peru's first game I'll still be in New York. Anyone know any good places to watch the world cup preferably not more than 20 minutes from Huntington ? So far my friends are saying " The Main Event " in Farmingdale. It's a 12pm saturday game[/quote]

That's a good choice. If you were doing a Peruvian lunch I would say La Candela in Hicksville on south Broadway. I've had lunch there when I bring my Subaru for service across the street. However it is not a bar but a restaurant but pretty sure the atmosphere will be all about soccer as they always have a game on anytime I've been there.[/quote] you know your food because La Candela is one of the most legit peru food places on long island :) Nathalie knows the lady that owns it. Very good place. Not Pio Pio great but very solid on long island

[quote="mjmaherjr" post=287278] Not Pio Pio great but very solid on long island[/quote]

Man I miss Pio Pio

[quote="gman" post=287279][quote="mjmaherjr" post=287278] Not Pio Pio great but very solid on long island[/quote]

Man I miss Pio Pio[/quote] That place absolutely rocks. All of them but for eating at the restaurant I like the hells kitchen one but for some reason I like the ceviche better at the one in queens

Not good competition but Guerrero scores 2 goals in his return vs Saudi Arabia. Better competition against Sweden in their last friendly next saturday

[quote="Moose" post=287749]Redmen.com World Cup bracket???[/quote]
I didn't even know St. John's was in the World Cup. ;) :)

This was a pretty good Peru video just saw for the world cup ( has sub titles )

[quote="oldschool Redmen" post=287822]You know Mexico must be pissed, first game is against Germany lol.
I hope Germany beats the blank out of them.[/quote]

They will.:)

Here are my picks for the top four: Germany, France, Brazil and Belgium.

Being a Bayern and Bundesliga fan, I can't include Spain on G.P.s.:)

Disappointed Peru tied Sweden in the last friendly. So assuming Peru loses to France and beating Australia should be a given then the first match against Denmark they need to win. Am I right on that ? The first game is freaking huge

Last edited:
[quote="mjmaherjr" post=288094]Disappointed Peru tied Sweden in the last friendly. So assuming Peru loses to France and beating Australia should be a given then the first match against Denmark they need to win. Am I right on that ? The first game is freaking huge[/quote]

A draw in the first match would be ok.

[quote="Andrew" post=288099][quote="mjmaherjr" post=288094]Disappointed Peru tied Sweden in the last friendly. So assuming Peru loses to France and beating Australia should be a given then the first match against Denmark they need to win. Am I right on that ? The first game is freaking huge[/quote]

A draw in the first match would be ok.[/quote] ok thanks !!!

Opening match for der Heimatland versus Mexico is a little less than 96 hours away. I'll be at the local ethnic club sloshing down Hofbraus and munching brats. If anyone is driving by Cleveland this weekend, stop by and buy me a shot for every goal Mexico gives up.:oops:

So much going on...
US-Mex-Can win 2026 bid (yay)
Spain fire their coach 3 days before match w/ Portugal (boo)
It all gets started tomorrow with Russia- Saudi tomorrow (yay)

I would love to see someone outside of Ger-Bra-Esp-Arg-Fra win it. BELGIUM!!! :):) ICELAND even! Crazy that neither Italy or Holland made it...

Quick question about the coaching move at Spain for my far more informed posting peers. Is it not ridiculous? Is this statement from the Fed president (1 month on the job) not ridiculous? Are they not cutting off their nose to spite their face? I am honestly not informed enough to know but after reading this it just makes me wonder. I know he's only been there a few years but really?

"We have been obliged to fire the national coach," Rubiales said Wednesday. "We wish him the best, he has done an excellent job in getting us to the tournament. But the federation cannot be left outside the negotiation of one of its employees, and find out just five minutes before a public announcement. If anybody wants to talk to one of our employees, they have to speak to us, too. That is basic, as this is the team of all Spaniards. The national team is the most important we have; the World Cup is the biggest of all."

[quote="TX Redman" post=288206]So much going on...
US-Mex-Can win 2026 bid (yay)
Spain fire their coach 3 days before match w/ Portugal (boo)
It all gets started tomorrow with Russia- Saudi tomorrow (yay)

I would love to see someone outside of Ger-Bra-Esp-Arg-Fra win it. BELGIUM!!! :):) ICELAND even! Crazy that neither Italy or Holland made it...[/quote]

Belgium is my not so dark horse to win it all. Tons of individual talent, but can they play as a team? Same can be said of France, but I don't want them to get it together.:p

[quote="austour" post=288218]Quick question about the coaching move at Spain for my far more informed posting peers. Is it not ridiculous? Is this statement from the Fed president (1 month on the job) not ridiculous? Are they not cutting off their nose to spite their face? I am honestly not informed enough to know but after reading this it just makes me wonder. I know he's only been there a few years but really?

"We have been obliged to fire the national coach," Rubiales said Wednesday. "We wish him the best, he has done an excellent job in getting us to the tournament. But the federation cannot be left outside the negotiation of one of its employees, and find out just five minutes before a public announcement. If anybody wants to talk to one of our employees, they have to speak to us, too. That is basic, as this is the team of all Spaniards. The national team is the most important we have; the World Cup is the biggest of all."[/quote]

Saw that Gerard Pique just cited Bill Frieder/ Steve Fischer as an inspiration for their WC which means they're thinking about it too much. Not a good sign.

On a separate and useless note if Gerard Pique was on your team wouldn't you automatically make him take all the PKs just for homo-phonic effect?

Back