USMNT - WC qualification

Very workmanlike effort. While the US played cautiously, they didn't totally park the bus, as they had some good chances.

I am excited to see this team grow and get better going into next year. It is amazing what good coaching will do. Arena came in with a clear plan, and knew how to get the players into positions to succeed. And the players bought in immediately.

The Bradley/Acosta holding MF has been very good. Pulisic/Wood/Nagbe trio is beginning to develop some chemistry.

All this sure beats the crap show we saw under Klinsmann. Any further proof the guy was an incompetent fraud?

Earning a point in the most difficult game left in qualifying can't be understated. They are in good shape. If Arena was in charge of the US team when qualifications began, this group would be cruising to Russia.

I have to agree with Kranmars big time. I don't know why Arena was ever let go (maybe it was his decision) but this team plays well for him. His tactics fit this team well and he trusts his younger guys more than the 2 other previous coaches.

I hate to say this, but I wanted Klinsmann to be the "guy" being German and Spurs but it was so clear he wasn't the guy. He got Brooks, Green, Pulisic, Nagbe etc to cap for us, and that was about as valuable a contribution as he made. They played really good last night and we're in so much better shape than just a few days ago I'm feeling more optimistic. I still fear playing the elite teams but I guess we don't have to cross that bridge for a little longer.

I have to agree with Kranmars big time. I don't know why Arena was ever let go (maybe it was his decision) but this team plays well for him. His tactics fit this team well and he trusts his younger guys more than the 2 other previous coaches.

I hate to say this, but I wanted Klinsmann to be the "guy" being German and Spurs but it was so clear he wasn't the guy. He got Brooks, Green, Pulisic, Nagbe etc to cap for us, and that was about as valuable a contribution as he made. They played really good last night and we're in so much better shape than just a few days ago I'm feeling more optimistic. I still fear playing the elite teams but I guess we don't have to cross that bridge for a little longer.

Arena coached the US for two WC cycles. That is a lot. And to be fair, the program needed a fresh voice, especially after its dismal showing in Germany in 2006.

Even Bradley (who I admit was not a fan of because it seemed the team always gave up an early goal), was much better than Klinsmann.

And if we go back, there were many reports that Klinsmann was going to take the job after Arena, but some 11th hour contractual snag forced the USSF to settle on Bradley.

If Gulati had walked away for good, and not had a life size Klinsmann poster hanging in his locker, we could have avoided that miserable hire.

Anyone watching the South America games ? Peru might qualify for the first time in 36 years. Hopefully they beat Colombia on tuesday. The whole country is going nuts right now

Really hope they win on Tuesday. Rooting hard for them as my team Ecuador is out. There is no better feeling than having your country in the World Cup. Would love to have my Peruvian friends experience that next summer. Would also love to see Argentina miss the world cup but I doubt that happens since they are playing Ecuador. Colombia is in real danger after losing in the last minute.

Really hope they win on Tuesday. Rooting hard for them as my team Ecuador is out. There is no better feeling than having your country in the World Cup. Would love to have my Peruvian friends experience that next summer. Would also love to see Argentina miss the world cup but I doubt that happens since they are playing Ecuador. Colombia is in real danger after losing in the last minute.
Thx 13. Nathalie's family and friends are going nuts right now I'm super excited for them but them being Peruvian they are like St Johns fans and are waiting for something bad to happen by tuesday :)

Hoping to see the United States earn its 8th straight trip to the World Cup tonight.

I don’t care if we come back to win 3-2 or not. This team is absolute garbage. The manager should never have been hired again but if they live to see a playoff or reach the WC they must sack Arena. He embodies everything that is wrong with American soccer in 2017. Also Lalas was spot on about this group. They are lazy and sloppy.

I don’t care if we come back to win 3-2 or not. This team is absolute garbage. The manager should never have been hired again but if they live to see a playoff or reach the WC they must sack Arena. He embodies everything that is wrong with American soccer in 2017. Also Lalas was spot on about this group. They are lazy and sloppy.

Agree 100%, there is absolutely no sense of urgency, they came out flat and it could be worse because Howard almost misplayed a long shot just before the half. The back line is weak and Altidore has lost the ball on challenges and just puts his head down and doesn't do anything to try to get it back. There's nothing happening at the offensive end and we're letting T & T counterattack time and again.

if CR beats Panama we'll limp into the WC and then get hammered.

Agree 100%, there is absolutely no sense of urgency, they came out flat and it could be worse because Howard almost misplayed a long shot just before the half. The back line is weak and Altidore has lost the ball on challenges and just puts his head down and doesn't do anything to try to get it back. There's nothing happening at the offensive end and we're letting T & T counterattack time and again.

if CR beats Panama we'll limp into the WC and then get hammered.

So true about Altidore. He doesn’t even give the appearance of trying. There are strikers all over the world a whole lot better than him who press their asses off because they are mandated to do so. But Jozy is above that.

This is coming down to the wire. The other 2 matches definitely give me a feeling they are conspiring against USA. With that said if you can’t get a result at T&T you deserve to sit out the WC

Holy shit! This actually is exactly what USA federation needed. This is what you get when you dump a manager who atleast tries to implement change and replace him with a retread who wouldn’t know real soccer if it fell in his lap.

I hope to never see Michael Bradley, Bielser, Gonzalez, Altidore ever wear the USA kit again. Disgrace!

Panama scores a late goal to win and we sleepwalk through a game against the worst team in the hex. U.S. needs to clean house.

Very disappointed. Christian Pulisic clearly the best player on the team at 19. Unfortunately the rest of the team played like a bunch of tired old men. Manager Arena can't get his walking papers fast enoug Got next to nothing out his players in the last 3 games. T&T is a small island half the size of Queens and with our highly developed soccer training academies and professional leagues there was no excuse in losing this critical game.

So these guys beat Panama 4-0 and everything was looking great, but then takes a shit vs. Trinadad & Tobago.
Iol. I gotta laugh because this team is a joke. We had the 3rd spot in the bag, htf do you not beat these guys, but we lose while those 2 won and no WC.

We'll always be garbage in soccer, sorry but it's just the way it is. When is the last time we missed the world cup?

So these guys beat Panama 4-0 and everything was looking great, but then takes a shit vs. Trinadad & Tobago.
Iol. I gotta laugh because this team is a joke. We had the 3rd spot in the bag, htf do you not beat these guys, but we lose while those 2 won and no WC.

We'll always be garbage in soccer, sorry but it's just the way it is. When is the last time we missed the world cup?

Back