USMNT - WC qualification

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-soccers-day-of-reckoningagainst-guatemala-1459186740

I did not see the 2-0 loss to Guatemala but the repercussions could be huge. Must win game tomorrow night.

It might be time to move on from Klinsmann.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-soccers-day-of-reckoningagainst-guatemala-1459186740

I did not see the 2-0 loss to Guatemala but the repercussions could be huge. Must win game tomorrow night.

Agree to an extent but then who?

Might be time? He should never have been allowed to coach this cycle.

Klinsmann is awful. His constantly changing lineups is beyond bizarre. It's as if he wakes up in the morning and picks random names and where to play them out of a hat.

But Sunil Gulati has such a blind man crush on Klinsmann that he can't see the USMT is in complete disarray. The program is embarrassing. I was very anti-Bradley. But I would take him back in a second. Klinsmann sucks.

Klinsmann is awful. His constantly changing lineups is beyond bizarre. It's as if he wakes up in the morning and picks random names and where to play them out of a hat.

But Sunil Gulati has such a blind man crush on Klinsmann that he can't see the USMT is in complete disarray. The program is embarrassing. I was very anti-Bradley. But I would take him back in a second. Klinsmann sucks.

I completely agree. Any other coach would have been fired months ago, why does this fraud get a super extended leash, what secrets does he have to hold over Sunil to keep his job? Enough is enough. This is disturbing and frankly I am losing interest in my own national team because Klinsmann is a classless, inept, bum. Kick him to the curb already. How many losses to third world countries does it take? He's ruined soccer in the US and is a filthy weasel.

I watched the game up until the 80th minute or so, had to go to bed, on a Spanish station too for God's sake, wasn't on any English speaking station and I have to agree with you guys, Klinnsmann's time might be done.

From his Gold Cup selections, to his inconsistent lineups, to his handling of Landon Donovan, etc etc, he has been a gigantic letdown. As a German and Spurs supporter, and a Bradley hater, I wanted this to work so bad, but they looked so non-cohesive as a unit, non-threatening to the Guatemalan goal, so out of sorts, that was my last straw. He claims he's gonna go with youth, and then sticks with the same old guys who just can't get it done. I'm over him at this point.

Agree to an extent but then who?

How about bring in Wenger. Not necessarily to coach USMNT but how about.overseeing the youth Academy system. We have so amazing athletes in the country we just need a better development system at the grassroots. And who is better at developing talent then Wenger?

The bottom line is that JK isn't a very good coach but he is an amazing recruiter. Personally I think it only temporarily helps when you bring in the overseas talent like Julian Green, Fabian Johnson, Brooks, Mix etc. We need more players developed here. We need more Christian Pulisic's, Jordan Morris, Yedlin etc. We need to develop a system from the youth level on up.

I'm against giving any coach a second cycle, players tend to get comfortable and managers seem to be less effective in the 2nd 4 years. Anything less than a win tonight and he has to be gone, if he's not then Sunil has to go. I still think we can benifit from a European manager but clearly JK was not the correct one in any way shape or form and I imagine it will be a long time before we get another Euro manager after this.

Crisis averted for now. The usual suspects (Bradley, Dempsey, Zusi, Beckerman, Yedlin, Cameron) played well.

Not sure how we lost to Guatemala down there - they looked very poor.

Nice to see some new guys get some experience at the end: Finlay and Pulisic.

Crisis averted for now. The usual suspects (Bradley, Dempsey, Zusi, Beckerman, Yedlin, Cameron) played well.

Have you ever seen the Guatemala pitch? Can't see how anyone can play soccer on it. Concacaf should have specific requirements for the condition of the pitch before they let these games go on. If Guatemala or Jamaica can't deliver a quality pitch they shouldn't be allowed to participate.

Was great to see Pulisic. He is the future of USA soccer. Hopefully he will be a regular with Dortmund and USMNT.

Have you ever seen the Guatemala pitch? Can't see how anyone can play soccer on it. Concacaf should have specific requirements for the condition of the pitch before they let these games go on. If Guatemala or Jamaica can't deliver a quality pitch they shouldn't be allowed to participate.

Was great to see Pulisic. He is the future of USA soccer. Hopefully he will be a regular with Dortmund and USMNT.

First Concacaf should figure out officiating. Then the pitch. Then again they are both shit

Saved a chance to play in the WC but once again no Olympics for the USA. Just terrible. U23's spit the bit in Colombia.

Saved a chance to play in the WC but once again no Olympics for the USA. Just terrible. U23's spit the bit in Colombia.

The second leg was played up the road from me in Frisco, TX and I thought about going but wanted to see the Guatemala game... too bad both were on the same night. Colombia were by far the better team last night and probably should have won by more. The skill level on display was night and day.

Here is something I do not get. We have xx million playing youth soccer. We have thousands of college players. We have hundreds in the MLS. And yet one of the U23's last night is plying his trade in the German 4th Division! Nothing against the German 4th Division and I realize you have to start somewhere but we are really scraping the barrel if we have to stoop that low. There was some mention of a coach based full time in Switzerland who us "unearthing" these guys in Europe. What a farce. What is going on at the Academy level?

The second leg was played up the road from me in Frisco, TX and I thought about going but wanted to see the Guatemala game... too bad both were on the same night. Colombia were by far the better team last night and probably should have won by more. The skill level on display was night and day.

Here is something I do not get. We have xx million playing youth soccer. We have thousands of college players. We have hundreds in the MLS. And yet one of the U23's last night is plying his trade in the German 4th Division! Nothing against the German 4th Division and I realize you have to start somewhere but we are really scraping the barrel if we have to stoop that low. There was some mention of a coach based full time in Switzerland who us "unearthing" these guys in Europe. What a farce. What is going on at the Academy level?

Academy level has so many problems its hard to know where to begin. Still extremely political and the emphasis on winning takes away from development. For the Academy program to work it needs to be free. Here in Northeast the only free Academy programs are mostly the MLS teams. Even the RedBulls might dump there entire U14 team and bring in all new kids at U15. Where is the development? They need to start at younger age groups. By the time kids get to Academy they already have a defined skill set. American kids also need to go to more professional games and watch games on tv.. The knowledge of the game is just so different between European kids and American kids.

yeah, we need more free to play and less pay to play. it's my single biggest problem with MLS. If our top flight is a closed system with less incentive to develop players than the rest of the world we are always going to struggle to develop players. MLS teams have to share alot of the money made from player sales making it tougher and providing less incentive for youth programs to pay for themselves. College is a source of free players for mls and when one doesn't work they can just go to the next one because there is no gaurenteed money and salaries are artificially deflated. eventually we have to allow the free market to kick in and let innovation naturally occur until we do that we will have 24 free to play academies that aren't particularly efficient and we will be trying to compete with a country like England who has 92 full academies for a much smaller player pool. we will never be as efficient as an England or a Spain unless we develop a much larger pyramid, stop relying on college, and shift away from win first to train first at the non-senior levels. Jamie Vardy would have been lost and likely retired early if England had a system as inefficient as ours. Basically we need more than 30 free academies and that wont happen aslong as MLS has a monopoly on the game in this country.

Isn't that a little skewed. German 4th division is a youth team for a 1st division team. You then get into the discussion of playing for a 1st division youth team and how that has positives (resources) but negatives (low division)

Back