Transfer Portal Mania

Who could have predicted that “NIL” which intended for autographs, ads, video games, jerseys, etc. would become free agency with bidding wars & inflation (having to pay what it takes & not what they’re worth)?

If you sense sarcasm, you’d be correct. I remember proponents saying we need to allow this or players will “starve” even though that’s ridiculous & says nothing of all the obvious $$$ they got under table not to mention the free $300k BA & MA (if they went for grad). Everything was so rushed with no guardrails in place. This is the result. And I’ve heard many fans saying it’s making them start to care less already & will likely hurt fan interest in longterm. Can’t say I disagree.
In reality, the biggest proponents of the world of NIL were the so called advisors, handlers and player reps who all are making large financial gains. All that crap about the poor players were being taken advantage of was just that, crap. They were getting a full scholarship plus benefits which in reality was in excess of $100 K a year, far more then the average wage earner of a family of 4 makes in the US today.

While I am a big fan and love St. John’s hoops, I will never donate a dime to their NIL fund but rather to actual “students” in need, not coddled athletes who for the most part are there for the sport and not to be students anymore.

Here’s hoping that sane minds prevail and get this $hit show under control so we can actually return to “collegiate” athletics.

And so it begins 😕

In reality, the biggest proponents of the world of NIL were the so called advisors, handlers and player reps who all are making large financial gains. All that crap about the poor players were being taken advantage of was just that, crap. They were getting a full scholarship plus benefits which in reality was in excess of $100 K a year, far more then the average wage earner of a family of 4 makes in the US today.

While I am a big fan and love St. John’s hoops, I will never donate a dime to their NIL fund but rather to actual “students” in need, not coddled athletes who for the most part are there for the sport and not to be students anymore.

Here’s hoping that sane minds prevail and get this $hit show under control so we can actually return to “collegiate” athletics.
Correct. I would not contribute 1 penny to st johns NIL fund. Thats crazy.

What's your definition of collegiate athletics? Letting Universities that are awash in money use 'kids' to line the pockets of administrators, coaches and the like? It was a shit show system before but you were OK with it because you enjoyed the entertainment value... At who's cost?

Here's someone who says I will never donate a dime, but posts a thousand other messages for Repole to step up! Message clear... Give ME my entertainment value, this time at Repole's and others cost.

What's your definition of collegiate athletics? Letting Universities that are awash in money use 'kids' to line the pockets of administrators, coaches and the like? It was a shit show system before but you were OK with it because you enjoyed the entertainment value... At who's cost?

Here's someone who says I will never donate a dime, but posts a thousand other messages for Repole to step up! Message clear... Give ME my entertainment value, this time at Repole's and others cost.
Here’s where we disagree. I don’t believe that kids were being used by getting free tuition, room and board and other perks that are far greater then ever revealed. Not to mention, trips to Europe, the Bahamas, special meals etc. And last I looked, no one is forcing these kids to play right?

Are you saying that I posted multiple messages to ask Repoke to step up? I may have said that with his money, he should contribute to the athletic fund but he also contributes to the general scholarship fund. If I did, it certainly wasn’t multiple times.

Correct. I would not contribute 1 penny to st johns NIL fund. Thats crazy.

i 100% understand this position, even though i do contribute monthly. at the end of the day, who benefits most from the players name image and likeness? the school obviously, and we the fans are expected to pay but school cant? make it make sense!

Always thought a little undervalurd because of high expectations. Career 2.4:1 A:TO ratio and a 33% 3pt shooter last 2 years.
Believe his name was floated around here a couple months back but not sure how legit it is. Definitely wouldn't mind getting involved there if he's interested in playing another season in college. Big PG with strong Assist and TO numbers as you said. Not lots of 3 point shooting volume but seems his shot has been improving over the past few seasons. Solid defensively. Could definitely be a good fit next to other impact guards that could become targets.

Here’s where we disagree. I don’t believe that kids were being used by getting free tuition, room and board and other perks that are far greater then ever revealed. Not to mention, trips to Europe, the Bahamas, special meals etc. And last I looked, no one is forcing these kids to play right?

Are you saying that I posted multiple messages to ask Repoke to step up? I may have said that with his money, he should contribute to the athletic fund but he also contributes to the general scholarship fund. If I did, it certainly wasn’t multiple times.
So let me get this straight.... You disagree because in the old days kids were given bread crumbs and now you're upset because they are being offered steak dinners?

I'm saying you didn't care how the system worked before because you benefited from the entertainment value. You no longer like the system because it has upset your entertainment value. The system was shit before and it's shit now, the only difference is how you are impacted.

Tarris Reed to Uconn.

I am a huge fan of Newton-Spencer-Castle but I think they can be plug and play guys with Hurley.

The two players that are very hard to replace IMO are Karaban and Clingan.

Karaban has flawless fundamentals and can drive, shoot, and dish like a 3 but rebound and defend like 4/5. And Clingan’s presence just changes everything.

If Karaban leaves, I don’t see any hope for a three-peat.

Believe his name was floated around here a couple months back but not sure how legit it is. Definitely wouldn't mind getting involved there if he's interested in playing another season in college. Big PG with strong Assist and TO numbers as you said. Not lots of 3 point shooting volume but seems his shot has been improving over the past few seasons. Solid defensively. Could definitely be a good fit next to other impact guards that could become targets.
Better than 3:1 rate in Big10 play over the last two years. Career 2.64:1 in Big10 Play. Big 10 never been a pressure/force TO type of league but regardless that is incredibly impressive.

AJ clearly in the running for newly instituted “Moose Award” for excessive uniform changes

AJ Storr’s school by year:

2018-19: Kankakee HS
2019-20: Bishop Gorman HS
2020-21: AZ Compass Prep
2021-22: IMG Academy
2022-23: St. John’s University
2023-24: University of Wisconsin
2024-25: The University of Kansas

Back